Sprinter Particulate Filter - FYI

jhamlin

Seasoned Expediter
Just a heads-up for everyone having a 2007 or later Sprinter with over 100K miles - the point where your Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) is due to start causing problems. I guess I was lucky to get 360K miles on mine before it crapped out. If yours gets to the point where it won't regen, your engine check light will come on & stay on 'til resolved. You can usually get them blown out at several locations around the country, at a cost of around $300-$400, but in my case, the filter was too far gone. Bingo - here we go - I found an after-market DPF made by Road Warrior for $2,250 (Mercedes original is $2,550) and had it installed by my Sprinter shop. Well guess what - the on-board computer module still wouldn't do a regen, even after replacing a "Differential Pressure Sensor". So looks like another $1,400 to replace the computer module. All this after replacing front ball-joints for another $1,200.

Just sayin - be aware of the cost liability if you choose to keep your Sprinter. The above ramblin' isn't a "complaint" - just to inform as to the intricacies and costs associated with modern-day diesel exhaust systems. (This doesn't even mention the add'l DEP unit complexities added to 2010 models & up!)

PS: I also tried getting a "delete pipe" setup as an alternative to a new filter (albiet illegal), but it appears the EPA has just about shut down all these folks!

jhamlin

Seasoned Expediter
Thanx for the note, Turtle. $1,750? Guess I threw away $500. This DPF item looks identical to the one I got from Road Warrior. Oh well, ya can't win 'em all!! For some reason "Fleet Service" didn't show up on my searches.

I did find a used ECU for my 2007 on Ebay for "cheap", with a 30 day warranty, and I'm gonna see what my Sprinter shop says about the wisdom of going this way, rather than $1,300 for new. Looks like I could buy 4 of these used & warrantied ones for 1 new one!! Needless to say, my 2007 is WAY out of warrantee by now and I'm well into the "maintenance/salvation" mode.

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I don't understand why it needs a new ECU just because the DPF got wore out and plugged up. There's no way that the DPF can cause the computer to die. I don't understand why they had to replace the Differential Pressure Sensor, either. If I run out of fuel, do I need to replace the fuel tank level sensor, toooooo?

I think they're guessing, trial and error with your money.

briggie1

Seasoned Expediter
dont replace the ecm probabably wont fix the problem,, chances are you have a broke wire somewhere,, i had all the same problems, did everything you are doing and my check engine is still on, it has been on for 3 years now, none of the big name sprinter dealers could fix it, so 70,000 miles ago i took the dpf off and everything has been fine, infact i get better mileage and more power

jhamlin

Seasoned Expediter
I think you're right Briggie. Found out the cost of a new ECM is really $1,900! And I was told the used one I found on Ebay most likely won't work because they're all tied to your particular Vin series some how. So tomorrow I'm gonna rod-out my new Road Warrior DPF unit and get it over with. At least I'll have reduced the number of complex systems to worry about. My next "project" will be to clean out the EGR cooler - at least that I can do!

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Careful not enough back pressure can cause limp mode.

Sent from my Fisher Price - ABC 123

briggie1

Seasoned Expediter
i been through it all with my sprinter, almost 500,000 miles on it, can tell you just about everthing that is going to happen to it and how to fix it, i learned along time ago how to work on it, why are u cleaning the cooler?

DST001

Expert Expediter
dont replace the ecm probabably wont fix the problem,, chances are you have a broke wire somewhere,, i had all the same problems, did everything you are doing and my check engine is still on, it has been on for 3 years now, none of the big name sprinter dealers could fix it, so 70,000 miles ago i took the dpf off and everything has been fine, infact i get better mileage and more power .

I think I would be to worried about taking out the dpf and screwing my van up compleetly .These vans are a pain in the *** when they don't run and cost big bucks my 08 has 260,000 on it way past warrantee . Plus I don't Idle my van at all just to warm it up before I head out and to cool off when I shut her down I'm hopeing this prolongs the pdf life .

jhamlin

Seasoned Expediter
Well I'm finally able to report my '07 Sprinter has been running great since I hollowed-out my (new) DPF. The aftermarket one I have is designed with front & rear plates bolted to a cylindrical body, so after removing 12 hex bolts, the center (looks like a large coffee can) drops right out. Nice feature if you need to take it to one of those "shake & bake" shops for cleaning. Anyhow, donning a good quality dust mask, I used a 2ft, 1/2in. drill along with a concrete punch to create a hole roughly the diameter of the exhaust pipe. Results? Getting an increase of approx 3mpg, a little stronger acceleration, and the engine just "seems" to be breathing easier (I admit this is purely subjective). If you read my previous posts on this thread, you know this was done after really trying to keep the unit "original", however my final decision was made purely on economics, and I'm happy with it. The downside? I suppose my engine diagnostic dashlite-up is a permanent thing.

jhamlin

Seasoned Expediter
i been through it all with my sprinter, almost 500,000 miles on it, can tell you just about everthing that is going to happen to it and how to fix it, i learned along time ago how to work on it, why are u cleaning the cooler?

Hi Briggie1 - I'm planning on cleaning out the EGR cooler this Spring because the dealer's recent code readout shows alot of errors related to that particular component. Also, I've seen the insides of a used one somebody replaced, and it was nearly plugged with soot - couldn't even see past the input flange. I'm assuming that if it finally plugs up completely, it'll back up into the EGR valve itself. Also planning to change out the water pump, before it gives out . . my unit has over 390K on it, and still running good - hope to run it up to 500K, as you have. So far, major work includes a rear axle, fan-belt & pulleys, front ball-joints & DPF. I do oil changes religiously at 10K, use fuel additive w every fill-up, and do the xmission thingy every 100K. (I know this s/b done at around 50K, but at $350/pop, just can't bring myself to do it!). I expect the next thing to go will be the drive-shaft . . .

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hi Briggie1 - I'm planning on cleaning out the EGR cooler this Spring because the dealer's recent code readout shows alot of errors related to that particular component. Also, I've seen the insides of a used one somebody replaced, and it was nearly plugged with soot - couldn't even see past the input flange. I'm assuming that if it finally plugs up completely, it'll back up into the EGR valve itself. Also planning to change out the water pump, before it gives out . . my unit has over 390K on it, and still running good - hope to run it up to 500K, as you have. So far, major work includes a rear axle, fan-belt & pulleys, front ball-joints & DPF. I do oil changes religiously at 10K, use fuel additive w every fill-up, and do the xmission thingy every 100K. (I know this s/b done at around 50K, but at $350/pop, just can't bring myself to do it!). I expect the next thing to go will be the drive-shaft . . .

390K wow....you've done almost no maintenance..Just wear parts....very good...