Sprinter or Straight?

jdezur

Active Expediter
I've been reading here for over a year, and am thinking of buying a Sprinter or a straight truck and going solo with CC, load1, or someone else. I've done lots of research, but I'm running into a question that I'd like wiser input on. I currently drive TT OTR with a large carrier. Been here 2 yrs, and am unhappy with how they run the ship.

I understand the added challenges (logging, parking, plates, mc #, etc) of running a ST vs a cv or sprinter. I'm aware of the freight capacity challenge of a cv over a ST. But, is anyone adding Sprinters currently? Is there really that much more freight available for a ST than a 3 skid Sprinter? How much? Twice as much, 10 times, 100 times? I know that its said ST are more profitable, but buying a ST uses more capital to start (50k vs 25k for a used Sprinter). What could I anticipate my revenues & miles to be for each?

Sent from my PC36100 using EO Forums

guido4475

Not a Member
I've been reading here for over a year, and am thinking of buying a Sprinter or a straight truck and going solo with CC, load1, or someone else. I've done lots of research, but I'm running into a question that I'd like wiser input on. I currently drive TT OTR with a large carrier. Been here 2 yrs, and am unhappy with how they run the ship.

I understand the added challenges (logging, parking, plates, mc #, etc) of running a ST vs a cv or sprinter. I'm aware of the freight capacity challenge of a cv over a ST. But, is anyone adding Sprinters currently? Is there really that much more freight available for a ST than a 3 skid Sprinter? How much? Twice as much, 10 times, 100 times? I know that its said ST are more profitable, but buying a ST uses more capital to start (50k vs 25k for a used Sprinter). What could I anticipate my revenues & miles to be for each?

You are right in wanting a van/Sprinter that can haul 3 skids.don't get anything that can haul any less than that.

I think the real question should be, which vehicle has the lowest cost of ownership? Per mile? There is a huge difference between cost of ownership between a straight and a Sprinter, but yet, alot of Sprinter loads pay right there with straight trucks. Example of the cost of ownership: Straight truck: A decent set of steer axle tires, close to, if not over, a thousand bucks.A full set of 4 tires for a Sprinter, under a thousand bucks.The list goes on and on.In my opinion,a van/Sprinter is more profitable.But, on the downside, we do have a tendency to sit more, but more enjoyable when we do, if the inside is set up right.I personally think the van/Sprinter market is over-saturated, and there is only so small of a slice a pie can be sliced into before everyone starves.But having had a 10-wheeler for many years, I wouldn't go back to a straight.I absolutely love the van lifestyle of expediting.

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'd go with a straight....1 about 5-7 yrs old in good shape...the new ones are too expensive for a newbee and with the economy right now, much too flakey....unpredictable...

jdezur

Active Expediter
Both of you make great points. Ive seen the vans sitting at the j and TAs, but, is there enough of that pie to support one more? I like the flexibility of a van over a truck. Being able to go to a park or campground to wait a day or two is fine for me. In a ST, I'm limited to wally and the truckstops.

Straights just haul more, and have better freight options. I'm currently driving a 2012 international prostar, which is nice, but should be sent back to the factory with all of the problems it has. I've had freightshakers, which aren't much better.

Does the increase in freight quantity for a ST offset the increase in maintenance costs? For example, if you did $5000 in revenue in a ST, but have $3000 in fuel and maintenance, or do $3000 in a van, with $1000 in fuel and maintenance, you still end with $2000. Is a ST worth the added costs?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Both of you make great points. Ive seen the vans sitting at the j and TAs, but, is there enough of that pie to support one more? I like the flexibility of a van over a truck. Being able to go to a park or campground to wait a day or two is fine for me. In a ST, I'm limited to wally and the truckstops.

Straights just haul more, and have better freight options. I'm currently driving a 2012 international prostar, which is nice, but should be sent back to the factory with all of the problems it has. I've had freightshakers, which aren't much better.

Does the increase in freight quantity for a ST offset the increase in maintenance costs? For example, if you did $5000 in revenue in a ST, but have $3000 in fuel and maintenance, or do $3000 in a van, with $1000 in fuel and maintenance, you still end with $2000. Is a ST worth the added costs?

A lot depends on the person....

Preventative maintenance program...the rates of the chosen carrier....how much the driver stays in service....and sooooo much more.....and we are talking a solo driver here.....after expenses there is not much difference in income when all the above is factored in...obviously the more options one has the better.....it is tough decision....good luck

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
you seen my response eh?...I was thinking the same thing....

The CV/sprinter market is saturated....and with this uncertain economy the more load options the better....

You would think a smart person would stop recommending van drivers to load 1 with that in mind.

Sent from my Fisher Price ABC123 via EO Forums

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Straights are the bread and butter of this industry.

Sent from my Fisher Price ABC123 via EO Forums

Jenny

Veteran Expediter
To be honest, going from a sprinter to a straight, I would choose a straight.

You never worry about losing your bed for a load
You have dedicated storage space
The fridge and microwave will save you a ton of money and you can eat much better
Yes, you abide by hos, but it is for your own safety!
The costs are a bit more but the earning potential is much more.

A straight can take a straight truck load, a sprinter load, or a cv load. A sprinter can only take a sprinter or a cv load.

You are a bit more limited on where you can park, but I will tell you I've seen a straight truck parked in downtown St. Augustine on the tiny narrow streets, as well as flea markets, beaches, and parks.

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk 2

JohnMueller

Staff member
Motor Carrier Executive
Safety & Compliance
Carrier Management
Jenny;

Nice post, and truthful as always.

I too would recommend a a straight over a van.

Thanks,

jdezur

Active Expediter
Thanks everyone for the input.

I guess my dilemma is size. Having been in a TT, I'm good at knowing where I don't fit. That's one reason that a Sprinter is appealing to me. I can park it in the driveway. :)

Is there just that much more freight available when you move up?

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
I would say yes. I also think going from a TT to a sprinter is tough. A TT driver is used to his sleeper berth area.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Going from T/T to ST is nice. Remember how manuverable you felt when you bobtailed w/o a trl.
Also, once a sprinter always a sprinter. With ST you add liftgate,another axle if/ when needed.
Team up and you'll add secure loads,etc.
Teaming is easy if you ever want to cause you don't need another real truck-driver.

I saw a sit-com last week that had a tv commercial for truckdrivers.
The tag line was
IF YOU CAN SIT DOWN YOU CAN DRIVE A TRUCK !

zorry

Veteran Expediter
If you don't do $25,000 per yr better in a straight than in a Sprinter you must not be trying very hard ?
Anyone running both care to throw out some general numbers ?

blackpup

Veteran Expediter
My last job, team operation in a straight truck with lift axle , team only averaged 2500 miles per week . That was the month of September

jimmy