Sprinter O/O Questions...

EricH

Seasoned Expediter
Researching
Hey everyone...Ok, so I'm thinking of giving expediting another try...did it for a company called CTX in the mid 90's out of a pick-up with an oversized topper back then. Haven't purchased a vehicle yet, still deciding between a Sprinter, Promaster or Transit but I know it will be a used one at first. Questions about starting out for you all...Did you all just sleep on the floor with a sleeping bag? How did you handle the cold in the winter while sitting or heat in the summer? What do you feel a driver absolutely needs in their vehicle starting out? Trust me, I have a lot more ?'s to ask but this is good for now. I've been reading these forums for the past few weeks and there a lot of good info here. Thanks everyone.

EricH

Seasoned Expediter
Researching
One thing I've noticed xiggi is a lot of post are out dated also I see many O/O's upgrade their rides over time. The Espar seems to be every ones choice, how are they installed and do they run off of the vehicles fuel? How much are they installed? Yeah I have the money set aside for start-up.

NorthernBill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Wander down to a few T/S's and check out all the different setups. It's probably the best way to see and here the latest and greatest.

Reactions: neilblack

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
thumb.jpeg

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Insulate the van as if you are gonna live in it, because, well, you know. An Espar heater installed is roughly $1500. You can pay less, you can pay more, but that's a good ballpark. An aux battery, cables, battery isolator, maybe an inverter needs to be figured into that. Pretty in Illinois, check with Thermo King on prices. In Detroit, Espar is Michigan is who I'd recommend, since they install Espars in a lot of vans. (they're going to do some work on mine in the morning cuz mine quit working). The heater connects directly to the fuel tank. They have diesel and gasoline models.

I did my first winter without an Espar heater. I'll never do another one without it.

I'd recommend either very cheap used, or take a tour of 20 or 30 vans at truckstops. The problem is, you can get it all outfitted and then a few months later wish you'd done this or that differently, and it may be too late to redo it. That's why cheap for a trial and error vehicle. Or, get a good look at a many vans as possible, and find out what those drivers like and dislike about the way they did things,what they would do differently. When I first started I knew I wanted this, this and this, but after a few months I realized that I really wanted that, this and that. When I moved from the used Ford to the new Sprinter, I knew exactly what I needed to do with it.

I started off with a double height twin blow up air mattress and a sleeping bag. I had to replace the mattress every couple of months because it wore out after all those inflations and deflations, or splinters. In the Sprinter I have a permanent bunk so I can sleep while loaded, with a 6 inch foam mattress and a 3 inch memory foam topper.

You're going to be living in the van, and if it's not comfortable you won't want to stay out there in it.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The least I would do on the cheap as a cold weather starter pack.

Cot
Good sleeping bag
Insulation
Big buddy heater with 20 gallon tank and proper conections.

EricH

Seasoned Expediter
Researching
Thank you for the good advice, I found some good videos on You Tube on the Espar and seems like a must have for those cold northern winters. Yeah I'm going to check out some T/S's near here and try and look at some set ups, sounds like a good idea.

vandriver2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thank you for the good advice, I found some good videos on You Tube on the Espar and seems like a must have for those cold northern winters. Yeah I'm going to check out some T/S's near here and try and look at some set ups, sounds like a good idea.
I originally had the D2 Espar installed in 2011 by Espar of Michigan. Recently had it removed and the larger D4 installed.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    782.6 KB · Views: 49

EricH

Seasoned Expediter
Researching
The vent size on the D4 looks about twice the size of the D2 that must pump some serious heat.

EricH

Seasoned Expediter
Researching
I see a lot of posts about using a generator, do they just use a portable and set it outside the van when in use or do they mount them somewhere underneath? I saw a Sprinter with one mounted underneath on a video but it didn't seem to leave much ground clearance.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
People use a variety of methods, some sit it on the ground and chain it to a wheel. Some use a front mount, I like others have a rear swing mount. A few with deep pockets have a proper under mount generator.

Reactions: EricH

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The vent size on the D4 looks about twice the size of the D2 that must pump some serious heat.
I'm to lazy to look it up, but I think the D2 uses a 75mm duct hose and the D4 uses a 100mm duct hose. It's not twice, but it's enough to pump air twice the cubic feet per minute airflow rate, and with the additional BTU output at each level is twice the heat output of the D2.

A D2 will keep an insulated large van warm, but it will spend most of its time on High and Medium, whereas the D4 will spend the same time on Medium and Low.

I just had my blower motor replaced today. They last between 3000 and 8000 hours, generally, with 5000 hours being the norm. This is my 4th blower motor. 27,800 hours on the heater. :happydance:

Reactions: vandriver2

bigdogg

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
The least I would do on the cheap as a cold weather starter pack.

Cot
Good sleeping bag
Insulation
Big buddy heater with 20 gallon tank and proper conections.
That is what I just did and that is why I love looking on here for help, thanks big time