Sprinter + MC and DOT #

Sharls

Active Expediter
New to this and was thinking about working directly with brokers. Most of them require MC and DOT numbers. Yet one of my current dispatchers said that having these numbers would obligate me to keep log book and stop on scales, even on Sprinter. Something tells me some part of it is BS. So, how do these numbers and Sprinter work together? If what he said is true, how come subcontracted vans don't have to do all that? What are the underwater rocks there?

Thanks!

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Your vehicle's weight determines if you need to stop at a scale not an MC or DOT number. Brokers want the numbers to look at your company's history so you should get one.

Sharls

Active Expediter
What about log book? Is there a reason why not many people get these number and work under someone's else authority instead?

Last edited:

paullud

Veteran Expediter
What about log book? Is there a reason why not many people get these number and work under someone's else authority instead?

No logbook is needed for a van unless you are hauling a placarded hazmat load. People like to sign on with other companies so they can learn the business and have someone else find loads, do the paperwork, etc.

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums

Sharls

Active Expediter
So, having these numbers does not bring any extra troubles besides not being able to work with other dispatchers because of double brokerage. Am i right?
p.s.
So what about extra insurance?

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If im not.mistaken it would require a good bit of stuff. Filings with the dot, possible dot audits, even for one person you need a drug testing program. It can require waiting Weeks or more to get paid. Sometimes you.might not get paid at all. Running on your own is not all rose colored glasses.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using EO Forums

paullud

Veteran Expediter
So, having these numbers does not bring any extra troubles besides not being able to work with other dispatchers because of double brokerage. Am i right?
p.s.
So what about extra insurance?

The paperwork, payments, load confirmations, etc can be a lot of extra trouble. No extra insurance that I can think of.

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
New to the business = Oil
Working directly with Brokers = Water

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Sort of. It greatly reduces your chances of early failure in this business.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
I am not positive because running under my own authority does not interest me at all, but i am pretty sure i have seen it said that you can not get a DOT # for a truck under 10,001 lb gvw...i am pretty sure ive seen that stated by people that would know...Blizzard????

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I run under someone else's authority. I got the info I needed from them and had magnetic signs made, so I have the DOT and MC numbers showing on my van. I've had no troubles resulting from this, however I am aware that trouble could result from NOT doing this. Elk Grove Village, in Illinois, for example, sometimes has their cops pulling heavier vans and straights over-- no signs, big fines.

For a while, I drove for a company that appears to have no authority. I did my best to get info so I could make signs. No DOT numbers, no MC numbers, no nuthin'. I don't drive for them now, and I must say it doesn't bother me to not drive for them now.

AET2010

Active Expediter
recently been through this, so I hope my input helps.
If you want your own Motor Carrier Number, a commercial insurance is required and the BOC-3 paperwork. Depending on your Sprinter model you probably will not be over the 10k weight limit.......unless, you plan to pull a trailer, which most likely put you over the 10k, because now we are counting combined weight. Then you are required to have your DOT, which comes with a whole tail of attachments (logging, inspections, physical....). If you want to lease yourself to a company as contrator, you can run under their MC and DOT and I believe you don't even need a commercial insurance policy for your Sprinter.
But.......there is as much confusion about this out there as you will find in official publications, including the misinformed officer who stops you on the road.
Anyway have fun.

fastrod

Expert Expediter
First you need insurance. Call C.I.S., their listed on here. Then you need operating authority. I used a company called permits plus. There is an operating authority for vehicles 10,000# and under and once they the feds issue it to you they will never bother you again as long as you maintain the proper insurance. As far as logs, drug testing, driver files, these are not needed and you should never have a DOT audit. As for getting paid I use a factoring company and get paid weekly. I dont work with brokers so I cant help you there. I have been doing this for 6 years and work directly with shippers. As for signs if it is a vehicle 10,000# and under no markings are required. I have been doing this for 6 years and it is nowhere near as hard as some make it out to be. Good luck.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have had my own authority I started off in a van I have ran a strait truck opperation for five years

In Newbee terms its like this.
a USDOT # tells your state and federal gov. that you intend to use your vehicle for business and plan to stay inside your home state depending on what state your in it shouldnt cost much and it might be free.
An MC number tells the state and federal government you want to work outside your home state.
Make sure you want to be in this business as there is an investment of a few hundred dollars when it is said and done.

Now, depending on your home state IE New York you may be required to obtain a USDOT # for minor opperations like, delivery, taxi, if you plan to pull a trailer or use any vehicle to make money.
This is typicaly done through your home state. The advantages of a DOT & MC # you can LEGALY set up your own work with brokers, shippers, and general public transport freight and opperate vehicles for hire up to what your lisence allows accross state lines.
For working with brokers and shippers it shows them you are a legitimate business and lets just say there is a problem and it involves legal action against you or the broker papers will go to the right people so long as everyone is legit. A word of caution Always check with your states DOT enforcement office to find out what is required because, federal law is followed across the U.S. HOWEVER any state can increase the requirements.
Feel free to PM me I can give you a better explenation.

bonezilla1

Active Expediter
If i was to add a trailer to my sprinter, would i be required to have a cdl, since i do not need it to drive the van itself?

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
If i was to add a trailer to my sprinter, would i be required to have a cdl, since i do not need it to drive the van itself?
probably not...unless the combined gvwr of the sprinter+the trailer is greater than 26,000 lbs. But...the combined gvwr will very likely be over 10,000 which would require logbooks.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
If the Sprinter is 8550 GVWR, then the trailer would need to be a minimum of 17, 451 GVWR to put the combined rating at 26,001 pounds. You really don't want to pull a 17,000 pound trailer behind a Sprinter. The maximum GTW (Gross Trailer Weight) for a Sprinter is 5,000 pounds, and the maximum TWR (Trailer Tongue Weight Rating) is 500 pounds.

But all it would take to have you logging is a trailer with a GTW of 1451 pounds.

bonezilla1

Active Expediter
Thanks for the help guys, I really appreciate it. Now just to be clear, will I need to have a dot # and mc if I add the trailer.