Sprinter lower ball joints assistance ...

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I drive a 2008 Sprinter 2500 170wb diesel. 312,746 on the odometer. My lower ball joints need to be replaced. My local Freightliner & Dodge dealers will not sell the ball joints individually for this model year. They recommend changing the entire control arm; which includes new bushings & a lower ball joint. My local guy that works on Sprinters said I could just purchase the lower ball joint & he'd replace it. I can purchase either through Europarts.

Is there some reason I should replace the control arms with the ball joints? PM, recalls, know issues with the control arms? I'd imagine with 310,000+ mi the bushings probably need to be replaced .... but the control arm?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
My local guy that works on Sprinters said I could just purchase the lower ball joint & he'd replace it.
He's right. It's a PITA to replace, and if not done correctly can mess up some sensors, but a lot of people replace just the joints in the 08 and later models.

I can purchase either through Europarts.
I'm a big fan of Europarts, but I'd also look closely at Rock Auto (Moog part# K500113, $29.79 each).

Is there some reason I should replace the control arms with the ball joints?
Absolutely! Dealers make more money when you replace the control arm. :p

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
there is nothing wrong with the control arm. there might be nothing wrong with the ball joint either. it isnt checked like the typical american machine. i think piper one talks about it in turtle's link.

eb

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Here's the link on how to properly check the ball joints.
Dr. A Tech Alert- Ball Joints - Sprinter-Forum

300,000 is a lot of miles on a set of ball joints.

Mine is at 580,000 miles and I've replaced my lower ball joints twice, the second time just a few months ago. Uneven tire wear is the first clue to look for problems with [SIZE=-1] wheel bearings, tie rod ends, alignment problems from sagging springs, worn ball joints, or worn control arm bushings. [/SIZE]

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
that's a better write up. after the fact piper and i decided that there was a chance i didn't even need to replace my ball joints at the time. I'm over 400,000 miles on my second set. the ncv3 does wear well. it seems that things get out of whack when unnecessary work is done.

eb

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The ball joints do last quite a bit longer on the Sprinters than other vans, that's for sure. With mine, I've got me, the fridge, those batteries, all near the front and on the left side, so I expected, and have realized, a little more wear sooner than normal on bearings and joints. I've replaced the front wheel bearings 3 times.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
869,000 miles on the drivers side ball joint......the original! original front bearings, bushings and control arms...other then the passenger side ball joint everything is original....

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks much for the advice!

I was pleased the ball joints made it this long. I'm currently at home. I purchased a new set of ltx m/s 2s. I got 160,000 on this set .. can't say enough about those tires! Brought the van in to check the alignment & ball joints prior to putting the new shoes on. Now the tires are waiting for the ball joints to be changed. I was able to find the Doctor's tech alert while doing research yesterday ...

Figured the dealers would want to make more $$ .. as if they aren't making enough.

Turtle - thanks for the tip about Rock Auto! They sell 3 different brands of ball joints for this model Sprinter - Moog, Raybestos & ACDelco. Any qualitative difference between each of those brands & those sold by Europarts?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The Moog joints are a more durable all metal and can be lubricated. The others are metal on polycarbonate and cannot be lubricated.

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ahhh ... maybe that's how OVM got 850,000+ on his. That's still a ton of miles ... lol

Thanks again!