Sprinter issue

buckwheat

Seasoned Expediter
This post may belong at the end of b2boggs thread but I thought it may be seen faster here. My '07 was also cranking alot before starting and idling rough It would seem to be fine at speeds above idle but I suspect the mileage may be affected.(according to the on board system)I haven't actually "done the math" yet.
The local Dodge dealer's Sprinter tech had me bring it in for a scan but nothing turned up. They suspected some questionable fuel at one point but that doesn't seem to be it. BTW, I changed the oil(full syn)and filter along with the fuel filter and air filter before taking it to them. The problem was there prior to my doing this.
They then suspected the Mass Air Flow sensor. When unplugged after starting the engine, the idle will smooth right out. Plug it back in and the rough idle comes back. Made sense to me. After replacing the sensor it didn't change a thing. Same rough idle. So far though, the engine has been starting right up without excessive cranking since the day after I delivered it to them. Maybe there was a fuel issue after all but that would be quite a coincidence.
At any rate, they are in the process of checking with a tech from a different dealersship that they've used before. If anyone has any ideas I'd appreciate them sharing. When(if) these guys get this figured out I'll post the result. Maybe it'll help someone else. Have a great day everybody and stay safe...................

P.S. Turtle, if you read this, would you be up for a couple of PM's regarding batteries and converters and such?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
This post may belong at the end of b2boggs thread but I thought it may be seen faster here. My '07 was also cranking alot before starting and idling rough It would seem to be fine at speeds above idle but I suspect the mileage may be affected.(according to the on board system)I haven't actually "done the math" yet.
The local Dodge dealer's Sprinter tech had me bring it in for a scan but nothing turned up. They suspected some questionable fuel at one point but that doesn't seem to be it. BTW, I changed the oil(full syn)and filter along with the fuel filter and air filter before taking it to them. The problem was there prior to my doing this.
They then suspected the Mass Air Flow sensor. When unplugged after starting the engine, the idle will smooth right out. Plug it back in and the rough idle comes back. Made sense to me. After replacing the sensor it didn't change a thing. Same rough idle. So far though, the engine has been starting right up without excessive cranking since the day after I delivered it to them. Maybe there was a fuel issue after all but that would be quite a coincidence.
At any rate, they are in the process of checking with a tech from a different dealersship that they've used before. If anyone has any ideas I'd appreciate them sharing. When(if) these guys get this figured out I'll post the result. Maybe it'll help someone else. Have a great day everybody and stay safe...................

P.S. Turtle, if you read this, would you be up for a couple of PM's regarding batteries and converters and such?

Re: on board Computer and MPG's....don't believe the read out...another members 07 was off by 2mpg....try it the old fashioned way...

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Did they look at the glow plugs or does it idle roughly even after it is warm?

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy

Go for the simple, add 2 oz of stabil for diesel fuel in ur tank, water in a tank can do strange things.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
You may want to call or e-mail Andy Bittenbinder out of the Pittsburgh area. His Yahoo e-mail address is <abittenbinder>. It's scary how much he knows about Sprinters, and he's been known to correctly diagnose over the phone some of the most bizarre problems. Your MAF problem is right up his alley.

Sure. :) It's probably better, I think, to do that here in public, because that way the masses can benefit from my vast knowledge and expertise, as well. OK, that's a load of crap :D , but there may be others with the same questions, and one of my my or someone else's answers else may be the perfect answer they are looking for.

But seriously, PMs are fine if you prefer. Not a problem at all.

buckwheat

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks for the replies. I figured the on board mpg tally might be suspect and will do the calculation when I get the Sprinter back................... The dealer put some additive in the tank to help with water and injector cleaning................ The idle seems to improve some when the engine warms..............The dealer tech found a hose disconnected from the servo that operates the wastegate(I think). They fixed that and there was a slight improvement according to them. Still, the idle smooths right out when the MAF is disconnected...................Turtle, I don't mind posting questions here for the benefit of the "masses", LOL. From what I've read your posts are very informative. I'll try to phrase any questions so they don't sound too "un-specific" or stupid. Sometimes I tend to ramble so feel free to call me on it when necessary. Hopefully I'll keep the spelling and puncuation somewhat correct. That seems to ruffle feathers at times. See what I mean about rambling?

Reactions: wlofton

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Still, the idle smooths right out when the MAF is disconnected.
That's what is so strange. Disconnect it and things are fine, reconnect a NEW one and things are not fine. That pretty much eliminates the MAF as the problem, and it points to either the power cable connecting the MAF, or so something else in the line that uses information from the MAF to regulate things. It sounds like vacuum leak, actually. Or a crank position sensor might be going bad. Or a leak in the turbo hose. With the MAF disconnected, the ECU will use a table based on MAP (manifold air pressure) vs RPM plus air intake temperature to do its thing.

Send an e-mail to Andy. I guarantee you he knows more about this than the techs who are working on your Sprinter.

Turtle, I don't mind posting questions here for the benefit of the "masses", LOL. From what I've read your posts are very informative.
Also known as rambling.

I'll try to phrase any questions so they don't sound too "un-specific" or stupid.
If un-specific and stupid is all ya got, then go with it. Un-specific and stupid can get your some great ideas, or get you laughed at. Either way we have fun.

buckwheat

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks Turtle. I emailed Andy and he got back to me with a couple of questions. As this progresses I'll post results. Maybe it'll help someone else. Meantime, I'll talk to the tech about your ideas concerning vaccuum leaks, crank position sensor and such........................Concerning inverters, are there brands to stay away from and what size would you recommend? I have a tiny fridge and will eventually get a small microwave(5-600 watt)and maybe run a few lights. I was thinking generator also, maybe a 2,000 watt Honda or Yamaha. This will be a work in progress. I'm not attempting to build an RV, I just want to keep from cutting into my freight hauling ability as much as possible. I want to maintain a 3 skid capacity.