Sprinter Engine

Wolfeman68

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
To those of you that subscribe to the Official Load 1 Yard Grapevine, you know that I had an engine blow on one of my Sprinters a couple of weeks ago.

The finishing touches are being put on the replacement engine and it should be running tomorrow. Checks done on the replacement showed that there is no internal carbon deposits, and part numbers are still readable on the fuel rail and the injectors. We estimate it has between 25 and 30k on it rather than the 80k we first thought.

The interesting part of this whole thing is we did find what the cause of the original engine failure was. The crankshaft snapped in two at the fifth journal. The bolts on the main bearing cap of this journal can be removed with your fingers. It is apparent that the bolts were never torqued. Since these are torque to yield bolts, it can be proven that they weren't torqued. They are shorter than the bolts on the other main bearing caps.

Given that, I plan to contact Mercedes to file a complaint to see if they will come up with some bucks. I hold no expectation that they will, but it's worth a shot.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Just be thankful you aren't dealing with Cat to try to get some relief. Good luck with it.

Wolfeman68

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Just be thankful you aren't dealing with Cat to try to get some relief. Good luck with it.

Yeah, CAT won't give you a mustard packet to put on your ham sandwich.

I don't expect Mercedes to be much different, but they did participate in some of the EGR cooler repairs on the MBE900, so you never know.

Since this is a manufacturing mistake and not a part failure, they may move on it. Chrysler did when Daimler owned them. Anyway, doesn't hurt to try.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
To those of you that subscribe to the Official Load 1 Yard Grapevine, you know that I had an engine blow on one of my Sprinters a couple of weeks ago.

The finishing touches are being put on the replacement engine and it should be running tomorrow. Checks done on the replacement showed that there is no internal carbon deposits, and part numbers are still readable on the fuel rail and the injectors. We estimate it has between 25 and 30k on it rather than the 80k we first thought.

The interesting part of this whole thing is we did find what the cause of the original engine failure was. The crankshaft snapped in two at the fifth journal. The bolts on the main bearing cap of this journal can be removed with your fingers. It is apparent that the bolts were never torqued. Since these are torque to yield bolts, it can be proven that they weren't torqued. They are shorter than the bolts on the other main bearing caps.

Given that, I plan to contact Mercedes to file a complaint to see if they will come up with some bucks. I hold no expectation that they will, but it's worth a shot.

That is good that you looked at the crank so closely....breaking crankshafts are rare to nil...in these things...

Good luck on your quest...

Wolfeman68

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
That is good that you looked at the crank so closely....breaking crankshafts are rare to nil...in these things...

Good luck on your quest...

That's why we inspected it so closely. Never saw one of these snap in two. Now that we have the cause, we'll see how Daimler stands behind their product.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
No he doesn't Guido, but like everything else John E does, he has enough class to allow others to ask to post here...either that or as a Mod..Leo can post in any forum...:D