Sprinter engine rebuilder in Texas region?

sanuk41

Rookie Expediter
Hi folks,
I overheated my 2006 Sprinter engine, and have some cylinder galling; the head is probably ok. I know some good small engine rebuilders in Colorado, Ohio, Pennsylvania. I am in remote area near Alpine, Texas, and would prefer to have my own block rebuilt, rather than swap in a long block replacement. I drive to many areas in Texas, so I can deliver the block myself. Just wondering if anyone knows a good Sprinter-familiar machine shop/rebuilder in the Texas area? Time is not critical on this project; quality work is.

Aside: If your experience with Jasper replacement long blocks is very good, that could change my mind.

Thanks for any input.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've had a couple shops tell me the quality is not what it used to be. One shop owner told me he got a short block from Jasper that the pistons weren't properly sized and had a severe piston slap. May have been a fluke but As with any vendor be sure to vet them.

Ill call an engine builder I know and see if I can get some names.

Can also post your question up on dieselgarrage.com
Bob Wolf

sanuk41

Rookie Expediter
I've had a couple shops tell me the quality is not what it used to be. One shop owner told me he got a short block from Jasper that the pistons weren't properly sized and had a severe piston slap. May have been a fluke but As with any vendor be sure to vet them.

Ill call an engine builder I know and see if I can get some names.

Can also post your question up on dieselgarrage.com
Bob Wolf

Thanks, that is sort of inline with one story I heard from a fleet service business I talked to. Seems they have installed three Jasper engines and one had a problem (but was covered by the warranty). The other engines turned out fine. I am in an extremely remote area and dont have a proper shop, so pulling/installing the engine and crating, shipping, etc is a big effort. I need to get it right the first time. I dont like 1 in 3 or 1 in 4 odds!

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
There's a machine shop in El Paso, Car Parts and Machining or something like that, that I don't have any experience with personally, but I've heard they're pretty good. They do cars and trucks, gas and diesel, all sizes. I'd at least give 'am a call. They may be able to do it, or know someone who can. That's certainly closer than most places are gonna be.