sprinter differential lifespan

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
We recently had a good discussion on the life of sprinter transmissions here. In the spirit of that thread, how about sprinter rear ends? Has anyone had to replace or rebuild theirs? Is there a replacement rear end comparable to the Silver Star transmission? How many miles did you get out of the differential, and what kind of warning did you have?

eb

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I've actually never heard of anyone having to replace theirs. My Sprinter technician has never replaced one, and there are precious few posts about it on Sprinter Source about it other than changing the fluid at the right time with the correct fluid.

briggie1

Seasoned Expediter
a friend of mine had to replace his rear end in the summer and last month his transmission, he has a 2007 sprinter, but i dont think he had the right fuid in his rearend

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Yeah, people think gear oil is gear oil, but like everything else with a Sprinter, if it's not on The List, don't use it.

For 06 and earlier models, it must meet MB Spec 235.0 or 235.6 (Shell Spirax MB 90, Caltex Hypoid LD, or MOPAR® Part No. 04874469).

Later model years must meet MB Spec 235.20 or 235.8 (BP Energear Hyep DC 80W-90, Mobil Delvac Synthetic Gear Oil 75W-90, or MOPAR® Part No. 04874469).

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
I talked to a guy not too long ago that had to replace the whole differential house, center gear set axles and axle bearings, the complete assembly..Why? It was bent and he readily admitted it was cause by his continually over loading it...he also had some really nice heavry "Wrinkles" in the sidewalls of the van itself...because he also said that he often over tightens the straps on heavy freight on the e-track he installed on the walls...Seeing the wrinkles were what started the conversation....

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The side walls of an empty Coke can are stronger than the side walls of a Sprinter.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Turtle wrote:

The side walls of an empty Coke can are stronger than the side walls of a Sprinter.

I seen it at the Loves in Gray Ind..It was a Dark Blue and the waves and wrinkles stood out bad and lloked like a washboard...

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I talked to a guy not too long ago that had to replace the whole differential house, center gear set axles and axle bearings, the complete assembly..Why? It was bent and he readily admitted it was cause by his continually over loading it...he also had some really nice heavry "Wrinkles" in the sidewalls of the van itself...because he also said that he often over tightens the straps on heavy freight on the e-track he installed on the walls...Seeing the wrinkles were what started the conversation....

Being a unibody...overloading has in some extreme cases caused the body to twist ..you'll never be right again

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I had to replace the rear axle on an 07. The splines that mated with the diff gears basically sheared off. I had not overloaded it and when it happened only had about 300lbs on.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using EO Forums

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
For 06 and earlier models, it must meet MB Spec 235.0 or 235.6 (Shell Spirax MB 90, Caltex Hypoid LD, or MOPAR® Part No. 04874469).

Later model years must meet MB Spec 235.20 or 235.8 (BP Energear Hyep DC 80W-90, Mobil Delvac Synthetic Gear Oil 75W-90, or MOPAR® Part No. 04874469).

So this is the magic solution since it's good on all of them?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
So this is the magic solution since it's good on all of them?
Yeah, pretty much. All of them for the later models are backwards compatible with the older models, though. None of the older specs should be used in the newer models. Except, of course, the Mopar bottle, which has been reformulated for the new models, but they kept the part number the same.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
The thing about the "List" of fluids....I find it kind of amazing or whatever..I've used the Rad fluid on list...and all these miles I have the original rad and thermostat....and the rad is clean as a whistle that I can see...no scale or build up....
Same for the rear end fluid....original drive shaft, axle seals and differential...so somethings working right...

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
I had to replace the rear axle on an 07. The splines that mated with the diff gears basically sheared off. I had not overloaded it and when it happened only had about 300lbs on.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using EO Forums

Similar thing happened to me around 200,000 miles in my 2007. A retainer that keeps the floating axle from floating too much sheared. I'm wondering if that contributed to premature wear. Mechanic says I have a few months, so I'm shopping around for options.

eb