Sprinter butchery.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
My condolences to the owner! LOL.. ugh, that is exactly why I haven't replaced mine. As long as I have 2 or 3 good ones, and it starts... we're good! LOL

Dale

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
My condolences to the owner! LOL.. ugh, that is exactly why I haven't replaced mine. As long as I have 2 or 3 good ones, and it starts... we're good! LOL

Dale

I have a little 3/8ths drive impact ratchet. It's exactly like this one, without the MAC branding (I bought it straight from the manufacturer in Japan).

Mac Tools Online Store - 3/8" Mini Impact Air Ratchet

With the air adjustment turned all the way down, a deep 8mm impact socket, and a three inch extension, not a heck of a lot of torque spikes transfer to the glow plug. And that's what you want. Put it on, let it go tic tic tic tic tic for about ten seconds, then ziiiiing!, out comes the glow plug, undamaged. It's not strong enough to break it with the air turned down, but it shocks it enough to ease off the tension.

I also use an induction heater to heat up the glow plug for a few seconds before attempting, but those things cost around $500.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've had mine changed quite a few times.....NEVER had one break off....as long as the engine is HOT everything goes smooth.... and my tech ( Wayne of Toledo) also once did that pop out trick....DUCK was the word of the day!!!....

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I know you guys are talking about glow plug removal, but can I ask a question for anyone here..

I have a bad rattle in the rear doors, what needs to be changed back there to fix.. Do I need new doors or just new hinges.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I know you guys are talking about glow plug removal, but can I ask a question for anyone here..

I have a bad rattle in the rear doors, what needs to be changed back there to fix.. Do I need new doors or just new hinges.

Probably just the bushings......hinges would be my bet.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic

Dale
The problem with that is it'll wipe out the controller, then none of them work.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
If the controller is internally fused for each individual glowplug (and it is), how would that "wipe out the controller" ?
What year/engine are you referring to? I know the early 5 cyl models are like that, but this one had a sealed controller that couldn't be disassembled. The replacement was even less friendly. It was potted, no disassembly possible.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
What year/engine are you referring to? I know the early 5 cyl models are like that, but this one had a sealed controller that couldn't be disassembled. The replacement was even less friendly. It was potted, no disassembly possible.
Since you were originally replying to Dreamer, I assumed that you referring to an '06 or earlier ... since I believe that is what he has ...

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
OK. That's the difference between a good mechanic and a quack mechanic. A quack would have had to replace the head because he wouldn't know how to weld up the damage-- probably wouldn't think it possible-- but a good mechanic can-- sometimes-- save the head in a situation like this. Maybe good for a few hundred thousand more miles.