Sprinter BLUETEC Problems

mitchmnt2008

Active Expediter
I been having some issues with my 2013 Sprinter , My check engine , add blue light and the start ups are coming on my dashboard , I had it taken into Mercedes dealer 7 times in 2 month and they together with techs fro Mercedes they are not capable to fix it. I am at the point to start a class action law suit against Mercedes
If anybody have the same issues like I do please send me an email and lets do something about this
The email is [email protected]

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
one of problems is not using new oil that is low ash, it fills up system and has to be replace
now if you do not use the 0 ash oil from mb they will not cover repair

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Check out ebay item number 261864417563 Don't know if this is the answer, but I was reading the documentation that is on there and it does not look that difficult to install.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
I always go to tysingers in Hampton va they have best sprinter mechanics in area

gotto_03801

Seasoned Expediter
all of these new diesels are faster but there less reliable. no matter what it is from a volkswagen to a semi truck there all lawn ornaments:mad:!!! thank you EPA. the best diesels that are still out there are the old mb 240D's and the 300D's. I drive one every day iv'e had more transmission work than engine work and it's hitting the 500 k mark

Last edited:

fenderbender

Rookie Expediter
I been having some issues with my 2013 Sprinter , My check engine , add blue light and the start ups are coming on my dashboard , I had it taken into Mercedes dealer 7 times in 2 month and they together with techs fro Mercedes they are not capable to fix it. I am at the point to start a class action law suit against Mercedes
If anybody have the same issues like I do please send me an email and lets do something about this
The email is [email protected]
There are a couple of different threads on this. It's a continuing problem. MB does not know how to fix it. It has nothing to do with low ash oil. Do not let them throw thousands of dollars worth of parts at it. The best thing I know of that you can do is do some research to find someone that can remove the system. other than that, here's what I've been doing: I got a scan tool and everytime the CEL lights up I clear the code. That usually happens about 5 or 6 times before the countdown starts. for me that means I get around 10K before the countdown. Then it must be taken somewhere to clear the countdown. HINT (If you take it somewhere and they say the countdown won't clear ask if they are able to clear the CEL. If they can do that, then once you drive for 100 mioles or so the countdown will clear on it's own. This has been true for mine at least. No guarantee it will work for you. These systems are defective. There is no known fix as of yet. This straight from MB. Good luck.

Reactions: sbarrett

fenderbender

Rookie Expediter
out of desperation, I posted a youtube video to several MB sites.
Code:
https://youtu.be/mZQEknBj4So
I got a response from Both MB main site and MB USA. I was not happy at all with the response from MB USA. However, my dealership also received a call from MB USA. I don't know how that conversation went but they are making a good faith effort to resolve the problem with the van. they have put in a new SCR cat and are not charging me until we see if it fixes the problem. at my next service they are going to inspect and see what they can learn from it again. I'll keep this or one of the other threads updated.

Reactions: sbarrett

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
What is interesting to me is that some have problems with Sprinters and some don't. Reason? Have no idea.
Reason? Maybe Monday and Friday vehicles? ;)
The funny part is that Sprinters are the most popular and wanted cargo vans in Europe, while Fords are considered the worst.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Reason? Maybe Monday and Friday vehicles? ;)
The funny part is that Sprinters are the most popular and wanted cargo vans in Europe, while Fords are considered the worst.

Maybe because the def is not an issue on those vehicles, is this just another epa stupidity ?

Reactions: Opel2010

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Maybe because the def is not an issue on those vehicles, is this just another epa stupidity ?
Yes it is another EPA stupidity. As far as I have heard there are DEF problems in all vehicles that use it. Big trucks down to pick up and other vehicles.

fenderbender

Rookie Expediter
Yes it is another EPA stupidity. As far as I have heard there are DEF problems in all vehicles that use it. Big trucks down to pick up and other vehicles.
True. The big trucks have been having reliability issues since the the introduction of EGR. I am all for clean air. I think the EPA shot itself, and us, in the foot by pushing past the 2007 regulations on diesel emission's before the technology had a chance get ironed out. Hopefully it won't be much longer until we can have reliable diesels again.