Cargo Van Sprinter 4cyl who has one?

in-Transit

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I now what most of the posters drive but I haven't caught wind through old post or the search if anyone has one? Found an amazing deal on a '15 long and tall ! Ye sprinter of old made 740k before biting the dust with no issues . How our these little buggers doing ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
I now what most of the posters drive but I haven't caught wind through old post or the search if anyone has one? Found an amazing deal on a '15 long and tall ! Ye sprinter of old made 740k before biting the dust with no issues . How our these little buggers doing ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IMHO 2007 to current you won't see that. DEF causes alot of problems. MB, Ford, Dodge. I've been told by a MB dealer to get the V6 due to not burning up the turbo. Also been told by the same dealer to get the 4cylinder. You won't have much problems with the DEF cause less emissions. Don't know if I would buy a used Sprinter unless you know the van. Good luck. LOL

Reactions: in-Transit

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My hearsay from the truck stop: less problems than the V6 meaning those crappy def sensors didn't screw up until about 300,000 miles. Its an easy fix, just ridiculously overpriced

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
That year has the cross wind assist. I'd go for it, but they will even come down more in price when 2018 model comes out. I hear they ride like luxury compared to the 06's :D no bose ride for sprinter yet though.

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
Somebody I know had one. No problems until 325k miles. Then he needed a DPF filter. A year or so ago an alternator for a 4 cyl sprinter was about $2k. It should go down in price when the aftermarket kicks in, probably already did, don't know.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Somebody I know had one. No problems until 325k miles. Then he needed a DPF filter. A year or so ago an alternator for a 4 cyl sprinter was about $2k. It should go down in price when the aftermarket kicks in, probably already did, don't know.

http://europarts-sd.com/item.asp?cID=113&PID=2552

Sprinter OM651 Alternator - 0009063122 - 439886 - IDParts.com

I recovered a load from a 14 Sprinter that needed a alternator last November, if I ever get one of the newer 4cylinders I'm changing it as preventative maintenance at 200k so I don't get stuck in the middle of West Tx like that guy did. He also said he was getting .75 a mile. They paid me a $1 per mile to recover and deliver direct (1/4 of amount) and charged customer $6000 (customer revealed, pissed off because they took shipment off pallets and some of the product came out of box) from Dallas to Orange County. Now you get a idea of how much trickles down to you as a driver.

VSprinter

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
2013 V6. DEF, DEF, DEF Issues.
Alternator went out while I was on the load from Laredo to Michigan at 285k.
Dont ask me how I managed to get to Dallas from Laredo(dead,) at night with lights, on Saturday to get it replaced there.
Seems like they fix one thing, brake something else in newer models.
Then is the chance that you are one of 50 owners who gets that van which is always in repair shop.

Last edited:

VSprinter

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
4 cyl seems too underpowered.
Yea, you get turbo with it, but I think it might work harder, making it prone to turbo failure.
4 might be better on Nox sensors, but one has to compare data from hundreds of thousands of sprinters just to see the difference.
V6 been at it for 8 years, they couldn't even make it to work due to all regulations.
We'll see if 4 cyl will be better. However, talking with few new sprinter owners, problems persist even now.

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
Havent heard of turbo issues with the 4 cylinder. Also, haven't heard of a 4 cyl sprinter owner complaining about the power. While it may have less power than the v6, the 7 speed transmission is wonderful on the 4 cylinder and you dont notice the fewer ponies.

Reactions: hdxpedx

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I also have not heard of power issues. Really the only advantage over a 6 is better fuel economy. If I were to buy another sprinter it would be a 6. More likely it would be a gasser transit and I've had good luck with my sprinter.

Reactions: DollarSign

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
I've heard the the 4 cylinders have dual turbos.
Well, technically yes, it has 2 turbos, but not like the ecoboost, which also has 2 turbos.

The ecoboost has 2 identical turbos that work in parallel, one for 3 cylinders and the other one for the other 3 cylinders.

The sprinter has a dual stage turbocharging system. It is basically a big turbo and a small turbo that work together for all 4 cylinders. When you are idling both turbos are just sitting there barely turning. Now, when you suddenly press on the gas, a regular turbo takes some time to spool up, so you have the term turbo lag. This is the case with the sprinter's big turbo. It takes some time for it to spool up, but the small turbo spools up incredibly fast and gives the engine that almost instant power off the bat. Now, after a few seconds the big turbo spools up and takes over providing the boost.

If anyone considers buying a sprinter, do yourself a favor and test drive both 4 and 6 cylinders models. The dual stage turbo system and the super smooth 7 speed transmission of the 4 cylinder model wins in my opinion. Not to mention the better fuel economy also.

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've heard the the 4 cylinders have dual turbos.
Well, technically yes, it has 2 turbos, but not like the ecoboost, which also has 2 turbos.

The ecoboost has 2 identical turbos that work in parallel, one for 3 cylinders and the other one for the other 3 cylinders.

The sprinter has a dual stage turbocharging system. It is basically a big turbo and a small turbo that work together for all 4 cylinders. When you are idling both turbos are just sitting there barely turning. Now, when you suddenly press on the gas, a regular turbo takes some time to spool up, so you have the term turbo lag. This is the case with the sprinter's big turbo. It takes some time for it to spool up, but the small turbo spools up incredibly fast and gives the engine that almost instant power off the bat. Now, after a few seconds the big turbo spools up and takes over providing the boost.

If anyone considers buying a sprinter, do yourself a favor and test drive both 4 and 6 cylinders models. The dual stage turbo system and the super smooth 7 speed transmission of the 4 cylinder model wins in my opinion. Not to mention the better fuel economy also.

That's why I posted about the 2 turbos because no said anything about it and I didn't want anybody to be shocked about it after they bought a 4 cyl. and had a turbo go out.

hdxpedx

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
I have a 2014+ 4cyl. 170 and power is not an issue. It fly's up and over any grade, I pass ALL..Easy oil/transmission service. Average fuel mileage is 23.9 ++mph hammer down.

Sent from my SM-G930P using EO Forums mobile app

Reactions: in-Transit