Spicer 6+1 ..... I Know ;-(

Andyinchville1

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
HI All,

I am looking at buying a 1993 International 4900 box truck.

I like older mechanical trucks in good shape....

The truck is in great condition but from the reading here it has made me a little paranoid because it has the spicer 6+1 tranny which a lot of people say is not a good trans.

My question is....

How hard / costly is it to swap out to an Eaton 6 speed (or maybe even a 5 speed) should this trans go out on me ?

Although more difficult, how hard / costly would it be to swap in an allison auto trans after the fact?

I really like this truck and the price is low for what it is I believe ($4K).

I have to get a couple box trucks (ideally 3....3 for use 1 as a back up) for 2 local delivery run starting the middle of next month.

I prefer automatics since it is more universally driveable for people and I prefer people not learn stick on my dime or equipment...

I would hold out for all auto trucks but I am in a time crunch of sorts and need to be able to buy trucks on a limited budget (all cash no credit).

Once I get rolling cash flow should be good but that is still aways out.

Thanks!

Andrew

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Hello fellow Virginian,

Generally, if one is considering doing driveline swaps (manual to auto), the standard recommendation is to buy a donor vehicle with the needed parts. Your purchase price is tantalizing, but you can expect to at least double it doing this swap.

Sent from my XT1585 using EO Forums mobile app