Speeding ticket in personal car

Seasoned Expediter
I JUST GOT A TICKET IN GREAT FALLS, SOUTH CAROLINA IN MY PERSONAL CAR. HOW WILL THIS AFFECT MY CDL-A LICENSE. I LIVE IN TAMPA,FLORIDA .I KNOW ITS 4 POINTS AND 133.00 DOLLARS FINE. THANKS :mad:

Monty

Expert Expediter
"Originally" it was said that infractions in your personal vehicle would not affect your CDL ... didn't take them long to change that, did it? :rolleyes:

Anytime a camel gets it's nose under the tent flap, all hell breaks loose. Please govern yourself accordingly.

xxiv24

Expert Expediter
133 dollars? I got a ticket in Romulus, Mi. For turning right on red. Failure to obey no turn right on red sign...ooops. 30 years clean record. 175 dollar ticket.

sent from my Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
"Originally" it was said that infractions in your personal vehicle would not affect your CDL ... didn't take them long to change that, did it? :rolleyes:

Anytime a camel gets it's nose under the tent flap, all hell breaks loose. Please govern yourself accordingly.

Where did the OP say it affected it....???

I think it should...when you break the law, well you know....CDL drivers have to be even more careful...

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
And they have to be skinny. And they have to be 100% sober. And they have to be... And they have to be...

of course sober.....gee whiz......

IF I were a betting guy...this ticket won't show up on his CSA score either....or he'll have to watch to make sure it does not show up and appeal the decision.

Monty

Expert Expediter
"Originally", in the begining POV infractions were not added to your CDL. Had nothing to do with what the original poster said here. Was just a comment on how things change, from then until now.

That was years ago, I forget some of you are youngens!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
"Originally", in the begining POV infractions were not added to your CDL. Had nothing to do with what the original poster said here. Was just a comment on how things change, from then until now.

That was years ago, I forget some of you are youngens!

And i am probably referring to Ontario rules as well.....they actually separate your professional life from your real life....:)

BigCat

Expert Expediter
And i am probably referring to Ontario rules as well.....they actually separate your professional life from your real life....:)

Well this is murica not Canada. Lol . We aren't allowed to have live here so no seperation. We are barely allowed to breath here. God forbid you fart in public too.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
I JUST GOT A TICKET IN GREAT FALLS, SOUTH CAROLINA IN MY PERSONAL CAR. HOW WILL THIS AFFECT MY CDL-A LICENSE. I LIVE IN TAMPA,FLORIDA .I KNOW ITS 4 POINTS AND 133.00 DOLLARS FINE. THANKS :mad:

What was so important that u had to speed?

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Dealing with my drivers and being from SC you can appear in court and plead out. Another words when the State Patrolman meets you in court he will ask to make you a deal, Pay a reduced amount or plead to the judge. You can request to the judge to that you would like to pay the fine and not show on your license because you have a clean record and drive for a living. In most cases they will do that.
Case number two. Request a jury trial. State your case to a jury and more than likely they will find you not guilty. SC is pretty easy going on that kind of case. I've seen several work to the drivers advantage, again if you have a clean record.
Let me explain further.
In SC you will go before a magistrate judge (local). They can redirect your charge to a local misdimeanor charge. Another words jay walking or something. When they do that the local magistrate keeps all the fine money in that district and doesn't have to give 25% to the state. They do it all day long everyday. That way it will not show up on your license or CSA. Yes you have to do this yourself not with a lawyer. A lawyer cannot do this for you, so you have to appear. Now is it worth the trip?

Last edited:

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Before I give my two cents I will tell you call a lawer in S.C. to confirm how a suporting deposition works.
1 For all tickets I always check the NOT GUILTY box on the summons and mail it in even if I dont plan on showing for court yet.

2 Check yes for requesting a supporting deposition. What this dose in MOST cases is the Officer has to provide you with a statement of why He or She wrote the ticket, OR show up in court. In New York State if you request a supporting deposition and you dont receive it, the Officer must show up or they dismiss the charges.

3 Call the court clerk and ask to speak with the D.A. and an attorney if its a ticket you will most likely have to fight and ask if they will plea it out by mail some will some wont.
This buys you time to research and decide if you want to show up and fight the charge.
Make sure you send all mail CERTIFIED this proves you sent it and they received it.

Decide how much dammage this will cause if its somthing that will not cause too much dammage and can be remedied by taking a driver safety course, or pay the fine with no points to your lisence.
Ticketts that carry points and a fine that cannot be negotiated by mail you MUST show up for court. Dont be suprised if you still have a fine close to what the violation has, but if you dodge the moving violation points I call that a draw.
Take the best plea bargin, pay the fine and go on with your life.

If you opt for a trial keep in mind the plea goes away, You fight the original caharge/s, you get charged all the fines, all the court fees, and get all the points, and all the hassle with insurance and your employer if you are found guilty.

If you mail in a fine send it Certified mail This practice saved my butt a couple years ago it took the US post ofice three weeks to deliver a letter one hundred and fifty miles away inside the U.S. Brockport NY to Philadelphia P.A.

Whatever you choose good luck.

Bob Wolf

tenntrucker

Expert Expediter
Not sure about the rules in this state, but in Tn if you have a clean record and appear in court in most cases they will dismiss the ticket if you agree to pay court cost and attend driving school...that way your record is clean and they still get the money.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Really?...In a truck? anything over 0.0 bac is DUI?.... in all states?

I believe its IN that lowers the limit to .04% for CDL holders in their personal vehicle. In any state if driving a TT or ST you cannot consume any alcohol 24 hours before driving.

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums mobile app