Speed Limiters

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Who has decided if they are going to put speed limiters on thier truck for Canada? Talked with Terry on Friday and he seems to think that you cannot have software etc to be able to change it on your own. That would suck. I really am torn on this one. I don't want to give up the Canada work but I HATE the idea of the limiter. Layoutshooter

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
No,nope,ain't gonna do it. We went to Canada 29 times last year,so far in the first 3 months of this year 0 times.

I know they are in the warning phase right now but I just don't want to get involved in the whole deal.

So far,we don't miss it.I mean we love Canada,but the hassle has always been coming back.With Canada getting into the mix,it just makes it all too much to take.:mad:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I know what you mean. I am going to have to really think long and hard about it. Last year we hardly ever went into Canada, this year we have been up there often, and they have paid quite good too. Layoutshooter

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Our last DoD load to Quebec paid very well. If all the DoD loads are going to pay like that money talks and we will have our ECM changed. Right now we are also in a wait and see phase as we are not going to consider the speed limiter unless the money is there to make it worthwhile. With so many people saying NO I believe the money will be there.

This is a more serious problem with White Glove as so many loads are sealed. We will all get our message through loud and clear when we say NO to these loads if the pay per mile is not right.

mypie

Seasoned Expediter
We drive for an owner and they emailed us just last Thursday about this very subject.

I wrote a big long email about our feelings on the subject, etc., etc. And, the only response we got was . . .

we know . . . But, we are required by FedEx to have our trucks equipped to run all 48 and Canada. So, schedule to get it done.

What happens when we are peddling out west where we like to run and the limits are higher?

Not happy, not happy a bit!

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Speed Limters

The speed part if not a problem for us, reguardless of where we are running. We drive no faster than 65mph. Most of the time between 57 and 63mph. It is losing the use of the engine in an emergency that we are concerned about. If the Ont and QC governments were reasonable, there is a thought, a reaonable government, they would at least allow U.S. trucks to change the ECM PRIOR to entering Canada. Then if a truck is out of compliance, double the fine. Just give me the option to use my truck as it is designed to be used everywhere but in those two parts of Canada.
Layoutshooter

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
Since the new law won't begin to be enforced until the end of June, why not wait to make decisions? See what information is obtained about whether you can change the settings yourself, and how much it will cost?

From what we see on the highways, it sure doesn't seem possible that a lot of trucks have a speed limiter (they're going faster than the limit). OOIDA and others are investigating this issue. Seems there is a lot of confusion and perhaps even some misinformation. Hopefully soon there will be some definitive answers.

Here are some links..

Landline:
http://www.landlinemag.com/todays_news/Daily/2009/Mar09/032309/032709-01.htm

Transport Canada:
Trade and Competitiveness Assessment of Mandated Speed Limiters for Heavy Trucks Operating in Canada - Road & Motor Vehicle Safety Publications - Road & Motor Vehicle Safety - Road Transportation - Transport Canada

From the above publication:
Trucks that operate into and through speed-limited jurisdictions would be speed-limited at 105 kph when operating in these higher speed jurisdictions unless they choose to change the speed-limiter setting prior to entering and after leaving these jurisdictions. To change the setting takes about 5 to 10 minutes and can be completed by the operator provided they have the necessary tools which can cost in the range of $1,000 to $2,000.

From a safety consulting firm's website:
http://www.ebsafetyconsulting.com/pdf/Speed Limiters The law of the Land 2009.pdf

mypie

Seasoned Expediter
Pjjjj, thank you. But, because we run for an owner we get stuck doing whatever they ask. They want us to do it now.

And, we generally don't run over 65, but what about when we need it like when we're following a truck that is moving just a little bit too slow for us and we need the extra power to pass.

If you ask me it is nothing more than FUBAR!:mad:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Thank you for that info, we need to make sure that Terry and Fedex gets that. They are under the impression that we CANNOT have that equipment on board. WOW, that even makes sense!! I am impressed. Now, if we can get the cost into a more reasonable ranges. Layoutshooter

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
We also will not have a problem with the speed of the speed limiter it is just the principle. Fuel is our highest cost and something we work hard to control and we have not needed any extra to pass. If we cannot pass at a slower speed then it is not a safe place to pass even though it is very frustrating to follow a slower vehicle. We are often that slower vehicle and make a conscious effort to pull over when we can to let others pass or hug the shoulder so it is easier to see by us.

If we go to the effort of changing the ECM we are not going to play the game of changing our speed every time we cross the border. That is why the decision is so hard to make.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I got a messege from Terry, he is quoting the parts of the law that prohibit the use or carrying that equipment. It seems, as always, that governments are talking out of both sides of thier face, nothing new there. I don't know how hard it is to do it or how long it would take. I really don't like the idea of having that limiter on outside of Ont or QC. I can see too many reasons for not. IF it is not TOO expensive and it is not too time consuming and IF it is legal we MIGHT consider having the tools. I will withold judgement on what to do as long as I can. I keep hoping something will either be made clear or ONT and QC just drop the entire issue. It is a dumb idea. Layoutshooter

jansiemoo

Seasoned Expediter
You can find these programmers at your favorite factory dealer. (we have heard quotes as high as $5k) In many cases it is available as a program that can be installed on a common computer. However, there are some things to keep in mind. Because the software is intended for dealers and trained mechanics there are parameters that non professionals should leave alone ie: injector timing and advanced engine management. Simply put, if you wanted to set a cold idle at six grand, you could! Is this a good idea? Probably not so much. One wrong keystroke could spell disaster! Because you are the one who changed the setting you are SOL on warranty. Now is a good time to point out that this software is registered and it leaves a fingerprint on your ECM. Even if you caught your mistake and tried to pull a fast one, you're busted!

As far as the legality of having said equipment on your truck, if it is just a cable and a computer program, how are they to know? It is a valid tool for engine diagnostics.
How is Canada going to verify your setting? (seriously, I haven't found any info on this...)
IF they are going to plug into your ECM, is that even legal? Do they have the right? Will they have equipment & training for every make/model? What if they plug it in and fry your ECM?

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
If you read the Canadian rule,you wont be able to change your speed from one set speed to another,as Ontario will fine you for the adjustment.Once set at the 65 ,it must be left there.When an official checks your truck,if it shows the speed has been changed,there will be a fine.by the way,it takes less than 5 mins to set the speed on your ECM,but in doing,if the fuel air ratio is changed,it will hurt your fuel mileage

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
This entire thing just sucks. Would it not be smarter for everyone if ONT an QC DID something? Like enforce exsisting speed laws? I know, it is about the money. I would really enjoy a one day, no fan fair needed, just shut down on the borders. No hype, just shut em down on the bridges and roads into and out of those two provinces. Just for a few hours even, like 10am to 4pm. What fun!!

Layoutshooter

BigRed32771

Expert Expediter
My understanding is that the law prohibits changing it back and forth, it must be a permanent situation. How exactly that can or will be enforced, I don't know, but that's how I understand the situation.

As for me, I resent like crazy the notion that a foreign government presumes to tell me how I have to operate my business when I am not in their jurisdiction. Like most of us, I tend to run in the 62-65 range anyway, and only exceed that as the situation dictates, but if I want to run the legal 75 limit in AZ I want the freedom to do so.

Give me liberty or give me...well, you get the idea.

Doug