Speed Limiter Phone Calls

BigRed32771

Expert Expediter
www.nexiq.com

Prices vary widely depending on what you get and how well the local dealer of these products gives deals.

For older trucks, an older Pro-Link or older software package can be used and there are usually some products on E-bay. There is a listing on there today for older software and it includes a laptop to boot!

For engines from the big 3 (CAT, Cummins, Detroit/MBE) the stuff is out there used. For Volvo, Hino, Internation and other not so prominent engines, it is a wee bit scarce.

You can always get stuff from the OEM, but they will want a LOT of money as you are reducing the need for their "expertise".

I quit talking about these things a while back because I am unsure of the risk of having one of these units in your possession even if you are set at 65 and the unit is not connected to the truck. I do not want to advocate anything that may result in a further fine or seizure.

I looked at the ProLink page. Interesting device. Interesting feature is the "tattle tale" shown in the demo. It apparently tracks the number of times a change has been made (watch closely and you'll see that the number changes from 24 to 25 after the completion of the change in the demo). This could be a way of monitoring how often things are modified.

We were at the border the other day on a run into Montreal for a p/u, and I commented to my wife that there would probably soon be guys sitting at the nearest truckstops to the border crossings with just such gear ready to change you on you way in and again on the way back out. Not being inclined to live that far north, I won't be any competition to Layoutshooter or anyone else that sees it as an opportunity.

I'm still waiting for the dust to settle on this issue before I get too worked up about it. Way too much stuff still in the air, as near as I can tell.

Doug

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
This could be a way of monitoring how often things are modified.

Doug
Yep, used to use the tattletail feature to see if a truck had been tampered with from the way I set it up, it is a great fleet tool!

The tattle function will not be used by the MTO as they have no jurisdiction over how often you change it. as long as it is set when they check and it doesn't show a recent change that happened after you got to Ontario you are fine.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I just read something very interesting in this thread where Turtle said, "...with Panther, anyway, if you get a load into Canada, just before you cross the border, you have the Speed Limiter set at a specific facility near the border. Immediately after coming back out, you have the Speed Limiter removed. Panther pays for it. Every time."

If this is true, it looks like Panther is ready to eat FedEx Custom Critical's lunch on Canada freight. Not because they can haul freight any better than FDCC, but because Panther has a speed limiter policy that is contractor freindly and simple to apply.

MYGIA

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I just read something very interesting in this thread where Turtle said, "...with Panther, anyway, if you get a load into Canada, just before you cross the border, you have the Speed Limiter set at a specific facility near the border. Immediately after coming back out, you have the Speed Limiter removed. Panther pays for it. Every time."

If this is true, it looks like Panther is ready to eat FedEx Custom Critical's lunch on Canada freight. Not because they can haul freight any better than FDCC, but because Panther has a speed limiter policy that is contractor freindly and simple to apply.

I saw the same think and those were my exact thoughts too. :rolleyes: I have my truck regulated and I hate it; although, I must admit having it has enabled me to negotiate significant increases of $300 or more on several loads going to Canada due to the limited number of qualified and available trucks. Panther seems to have positioned themselves well and may very well leave the rest of us in the dust on this one.