Speed Limiter Phone Calls

nobb4u

Expert Expediter
I am curious as to how many of you received a phone call from FDCC asking if you are putting a limit on your truck? I am also curious as to what you answered.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Yes, we got one the other day. We are going to limit the engine but we really don't like the idea, not one bit. Having to do it to work is extortion in my book. We will have it done and then monitor our runs to see if it is worth it. Layoutshooter

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Since we are not White Glove we did not get that phone call but still believe we will add the speed limiter to our truck.

What was your reply nobb4u?

I am curious to what FCC will do if most of the White Glove fleet says no to the speed limiter? I do not see FCC giving up the Canada freight I see them opening up White Glove to many of the Express trucks who will put the speed limiter on.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
We were told that they MIGHT take away the Glove status for trucks that do not put the limiter on. They sorta backed away from that when we talked to them the following day. They then stated that they were still checking into the option but had yet to make up thier minds on that.

They are looking at cross docking express freight but told us that is not normally possible with WG freight and service to the customer was the name of the game.

Last year we only ran 1 Canada run and turned down 5 due to low pay. Only 6 runs offered for the year and not all of them went to ON or QC where the limiter is required.

This year to date we have run 3 Canada runs, all paid well, all went to QC only. We have not had any more offers for several weeks now.

We will keep an eye on the situation. IF having the limiter pays for itself we will keep it on. IF it does not, too few runs or too low a pay, we most likely will take it off. I don't want to alter my truck for 1 or 2 loads a year. Layoutshooter

bubblehead

Veteran Expediter
We aren't white glove either but our requiter asked us if we were as a side. I told him we were looking that direction but since, I have talked to three KWs with the same engine. All said on flat land they notice no real difference except when going on highway from a ramp it gets a little scary, and two of them said that on east coast mountain roads that they used to be able to maintain 60-65mph is bringing their speed down to 35mph. When one expressed their concern about this performance, they were told to live with it. So the true cost based on lost time/milage would be worse then I have previously posted. Don't have a solution for this one except that FEDEX's cross- dock would probably be the best solution for surface trucks.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
How does the limiter hurt performance like that? I am confused. I thought it only limited the top speed of the top gear only. Please explain. Layoutshooter

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
From the sounds of the weekly email we just received a WG truck had better look pretty seriously at adding the speed limiter no matter how many times you go to Canada a year.

As an Express truck with DoD clearances I think you might also want consider the speed limiter. With freight as tight as it is not adding the speed limiter is just going to give those of us more load offers.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
We going to limit the truck for now. I still don't understand the loss of performance noted in a prior post. That would be enough to be dangerous.

I will have to watch the mpg as well. We have been getting the mileage up to very high levels and to lose too much there could offset any gain from having it. The last two runs we got 11.3 and 11.1 mpg. We really like that as you can guess.

This is a very sad situation. It is causing us to question some of our past decisions. I don't like the direction things are going right now, but, there is nothing I can do biut try to work with it or around it.

I will not put our truck or our lives in any more than the everyday things we face. A major loss in performance and it goes off. FedEx MUST put safety ahead of the customer.

I hope we don't have a problem. We drive below the set speed all the time anyway. Layoutshooter

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Joe do you not get the weekly email that is sent out on Friday's? If not you really need to sign up for it. Let me know if you do not get it and I will email you a copy.

spudhead911

Seasoned Expediter
I thought "ALL" FedEx CC units are required to be able to go into Canada. If that is the case then why are they just making the speed limiters mandatory for WG units. It should be mandatory for the whole fleet. from what I read express trucks are not being required to have the speed limiters put on.

I think that WG units should take a stand and refuse to have the speed limiters put on unless the whole fleet is included. This speed limiter requirement on WG only trucks is a bunch of BS.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I am just disapointed that safety is NOT the main concern here. The loss of 25% of your accident avoidence package is not a good thing. I gues I should expect that though, not a real surprise. When you consider that this is being put upon us by a government and a large corporation it is easy to understand. Layoutshooter

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Right now there are a lot more trucks then loads. I am sure on most loads that for every load you refuse there are going to more than enough trucks to pick up the slack.

If all the White Glove trucks decide to refuse to put the speed limiter on there are several trucks within the company and outside the company more than willing to take your spot with White Glove.

I still think the problem that is really looming is the CARB laws in California. This speed limiter is nothing compared to what is going to start happening next year. After the past year and this year how many can afford to retrofit their truck and also upgrade their generators to be compliant?

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
California IS a HUGE problem. They are not in complinance with interstate commerce laws and NO ONE seems to be doing anything about it. The Obama administration is allowing them to do as they please in reguards to CARB and few if any of our Senators, Congressmen or trucking industry organizations are really fighting it in the courts. This should be simple. Greg posted the court case that sets the precedence on this in another post. It goes back many decades. Basicly, if my truck is legal the state it is domiciled in I can run in California as is. Things do not look good for the next several years. Layoutshooter

nobb4u

Expert Expediter
I think it is time for revolution.

Think about it the transportation industry as a whole we could rule the world.
If we moved nothing people would get hungry and join us, they would not have fuel to move their vehicles, the army could not even run, think about how they get their supplies.

We really could RULE the world.

Oh but wait, I forgot we can't even rule our own industry as we seem to always be trying to beat out the other guy by cutting rates, driving by a fellow driver stuck by the road, or just thinking we are so much better than the other guy.
We have got to stick together we are all in the same business, facing the same challenges just trying to survive.

(Actually I am starting to sound like my husband..OMG)

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
We may be in the same business but we all have our own bills to pay and we each do what it takes to make our business survive.

Every year there is talk of a strike but each year the question is who are we actually striking against? FCC did not set the laws for Canada they are just trying to abide by them. The White Glove fleet usually commands a higher price per mile for their sensitive freight and having a seal. If the speed limiter is so bad come join us down in Express and use the cross dock system into Canada.

If FCC gives up all the freight into Canada another company will be more than happy to pick up that slack and what has that gained us?

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
One thing I have noticed is we seem to be the only company fussing over the speed limiters. Does this mean that the other companies are not going to have them on their trucks? If that is so someone will have to cover the freight they are going to lose which will also bring more business to the trucks that have the speed limiter.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
what about the tractors that have big sleepers and are over the 75 ft length law for canada,and myself and many others that fall passed the 244" wheel base length pulling 53" trailers.Most of these trucks are in W/G and don't do Canadian runs.I was asked about speed limiter in phone call,when I explained about the wheel base,they said don't worry about it,and when I explained about those that reset their speed,they will also loose fuel mileage as it will change the peramiters of the fuel pump