Speed limiter letter

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Anyone in here been home to see thier letter on the Canadian speed limiters? We most likely won't be home before June. I will as for an email on Monday but was wondering if anyone out there has seen it? Layoutshooter

Wingnut

Seasoned Expediter
Yes...I got mine and it says in part "........ontario & quebec have announced they will require speed limiters on all commercial vehicles GVW 26,000 and larger...."
I, for one, am NOT putting these on my trucks. My drivers are not too keen on doing canandian loads as it is, so this will not hurt us any by not doing any canandian loads whatsoever.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I wonder what will happen with that? Will FedEx make the ability to do Canadian loads a contract requirement? I think that it would not take long for someone to notice that a driver or fleet ALWAYS turns down loads inot ON or QC. Layoutshooter

Wingnut

Seasoned Expediter
Fed ex already has quite a big list of drivers & fleets who will not do canandian loads. They also have a list of those who refuse to do NYC loads. I have a truck who will no longer do canandian loads after an incident that happened last week. I don't blame them one bit for feeling this way either and support their decision.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
What we really need to do is get severl hundred, or more, US and Canadian trucks to block every port of entry into ONT and QC from the US on June 1st, for the entire 24 hours of that day. Just park 'em. layoutshooter

fatboy1

Veteran Expediter
WELL I PERSONALLY DONT LIKE BEING TOLD TO PUT ONE ON OUR TRUCK, LOADS UP THERE CAN BE A BIG HASSLE,AND NOT WORTH MY TIME, LIKE THE OLD SAYING GOES DONT LET 1 BAD APPLE SPOIL THE BUNCH, SOME FLEET OWNERS OR SINGLE O/O'S MAY PUT THEM ON IN FEAR OF BEING LET GO. JUST BECAUSE SOME WANT TO GO, DONT MAKE US ALL, THIS IS A NON FORCED DISPATCH RIGHT OR HAS THAT CHANGED.:confused:

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
We all have a business to run and if the money is right into Canada we will go. Times are tight and I am not going to go under to make a point. The WG loads we have hauled into Canada lately have all paid way above our minimum and the loads within the states are barely meeting our minimums. So do you want to stay in business or do you want to make a point that will not be remember?

I do not like the idea of the speed limiter at all but it will not affect our speed that we drive. We have not needed that much speed to get ourselves out of any situation in the past and I do not think we will need to run that fast in the future.

As an Express truck we have more options for cross docking which we will ask for on any load going into Canada but the sealed loads do not have that option. We see it as a great opportunity to put more money in our pocket and the more trucks that refuse to put the speed limiter on the higher the price will go and we are going to be waiting right there to receive it.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
from what Ive read about the Canadian law.once ECM is set for the 65 mph,you wont be permited to change it back when you get back in the lower 48,or when entering Canada,and they see it has been re-set and then changed back again,they can fine us.

BigRed32771

Expert Expediter
Just saw the letter(s) tonight. There's one for Surface Expedite trucks and a different one for White Glove. As I read the WG letter, FDCC expects WG's to put the limiter on so that they can continue to carry sealed, temp, etc. loads into Canada; SE trucks don't have to and can arrange cross docking to turn load over to a compliant truck. My interpretation is that remaining in WG may well be contingent on activating the speed limiter; my speculation is that there may be some openings in WG for trucks on the waiting list beginning in June. I really hate the idea of being forced to allow a foreign government to tell me how I have to operate my business while in my own (supposedly) free country. I seldom exceed the 65 speed anyway, but regard an inability to get myself out of a jam by putting on a little burst of speed when I feel it's appropriate as a major safety concern.

Doug

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I agree, I don't like losing my engine when I need it. That is my first objection. I also resent the implication that they believe that I am too stupid to follow a speed limit without an on board nanny OR just assume that I am going to break the law, in other words, persumption of guilt. Layoutshooter

Wingnut

Seasoned Expediter
My trucks are surface trucks. We haven't had a canadian load yet in the past several months that even begun to pay what it used to. Up till 2 weeks ago, we still did canadian loads but after what happened with one of my trucks on the last canandian load, we're done doing those loads.....no matter what the price is. I look at the situation like this: seeing how we're NOT employess of fecc, if they want my trucks to have the speed limiters on them, then THEY can pay for them. I'm not going to.

bubblehead

Veteran Expediter
My trucks are surface trucks. We haven't had a canadian load yet in the past several months that even begun to pay what it used to. Up till 2 weeks ago, we still did canadian loads but after what happened with one of my trucks on the last canandian load, we're done doing those loads.....no matter what the price is. I look at the situation like this: seeing how we're NOT employess of fecc, if they want my trucks to have the speed limiters on them, then THEY can pay for them. I'm not going to.

How about enlighten us Wingnut. What happened to that truck that caused you to banish Canada...your info might help the rest of us avoid a similar situation.

Wingnut

Seasoned Expediter
Without going into the whole, long drawn out story....let's just say the canadian load ban for my trucks has to do with the ineptness of the brokers that fecc continues to use and with the ineptness of the dispatcher that handled this particular load PLUS the way my drivers were treated by everyone involved. It wasn't the first time that this kind of situation happened with one of my trucks but it was the last.
I'm NOT trying to be secretative or make this sound more than what it was but I have a personal policy of only airing my beefs with a company between them & me...not in public forums.
I don't condem or look down on anyone who chooses to do canadian loads. For me, hauling them are no longer feasable for several reasons.....and yes, the speed limiter also plays a part of it.
Seeing how the speed limiter will become a law in canada, I'm sure this is going to effect all expedite/trucking companies....not just for fecc.