Some things you should know about bankruptcy

katyblack

Rookie Expediter
The first thing you need to know about bankruptcy is that the person filing is not always at fault. In fact, most of the time they’re not. Many of those who find themselves filing for bankruptcy had a great credit history and are very hard working and financially responsible. How, then, do they end up filing for bankruptcy. The number one cause of bankruptcy is medical bills. One unforeseen medical emergency can be all it takes to ruin a person’s finances. Here’s a look at a few other things about bankruptcy many people don’t know.

It costs money to go bankrupt

You might be wondering, “How am I supposed to pay for bankruptcy?” After all, your lack of money is the reason you’re considering bankruptcy in the first place. One option that many turn to out of desperation is filing without legal help. This isn’t recommended as a bankruptcy case can be thrown out due to errors in the filing paperwork. Also, it’s easy to lose property or rights through bankruptcy if you don’t know what you’re doing. A bankruptcy attorney is your best bet for getting the most out of a bad situation.

There are a number of different ways to pay for bankruptcy. You can pay your attorney the necessary attorney and filing fee in installments and file when it is paid. This can work of you are sure you are going to file and you stop paying on the bills that will be discharged. Another method is to plan your bankruptcy at a time when you are coming into a little extra money such as tax returns. You may be fortunate enough to have a family member who can assist you. Even that loan however, will be officially canceled when you file

Court and classes

While most of the bankruptcy process can be carried out by your attorney, you will have to go to a “meeting of creditors.” This is generally not in a courtroom and is conducted by the Trustee assigned to your case. You will be under oath.

Essentially, this is a chance for the Trustee and creditors to ask any questions they may have about your case. If you have few assets, typically no creditors even show up and it ends up being a meeting between you and the trustee. You will also need to take a couple of credit counseling classes. Unlike the meeting, these can be done from home over the internet. The first is a pre-petition class designed to ensure that you’ve exhausted all alternatives to bankruptcy before filing. The second is a post-petition class designed to teach you how to manage debt better in the future.

The bottom line is that bankruptcy isn’t as easy as some people make it out to be. However, if you are prepared going in, bankruptcy doesn’t have to be terrifying either.

Last edited by a moderator:

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
The first thing you need to know about bankruptcy is that the person filing is not always at fault. In fact, most of the time they’re not. Many of those who find themselves filing for bankruptcy had a great credit history and are very hard working and financially responsible. How, then, do they end up filing for bankruptcy. The number one cause of bankruptcy is medical bills. One unforeseen medical emergency can be all it takes to ruin a person’s finances. Here’s a look at a few other things about bankruptcy many people don’t know.

It costs money to go bankrupt

You might be wondering, “How am I supposed to pay for bankruptcy?” After all, your lack of money is the reason you’re considering bankruptcy in the first place. One option that many turn to out of desperation is filing without legal help. This isn’t recommended as a bankruptcy case can be thrown out due to errors in the filing paperwork. Also, it’s easy to lose property or rights through bankruptcy if you don’t know what you’re doing. A bankruptcy attorney is your best bet for getting the most out of a bad situation.

There are a number of different ways to pay for bankruptcy. You can pay your attorney the necessary attorney and filing fee in installments and file when it is paid. This can work of you are sure you are going to file and you stop paying on the bills that will be discharged. Another method is to plan your bankruptcy at a time when you are coming into a little extra money such as tax returns. You may be fortunate enough to have a family member who can assist you. Even that loan however, will be officially canceled when you file

Court and classes

While most of the bankruptcy process can be carried out by your attorney, you will have to go to a “meeting of creditors.” This is generally not in a courtroom and is conducted by the Trustee assigned to your case. You will be under oath.

Essentially, this is a chance for the Trustee and creditors to ask any questions they may have about your case. If you have few assets, typically no creditors even show up and it ends up being a meeting between you and the trustee. You will also need to take a couple of credit counseling classes. Unlike the meeting, these can be done from home over the internet. The first is a pre-petition class designed to ensure that you’ve exhausted all alternatives to bankruptcy before filing. The second is a post-petition class designed to teach you how to manage debt better in the future.

The bottom line is that bankruptcy isn’t as easy as some people make it out to be. However, if you are prepared going in, bankruptcy doesn’t have to be terrifying either.

Business, real estate, and bankruptcy law and litigation news brought to you by mbblegal.net

Source: lifehacker.com/what-you-should-know-about-bankruptcy-from-someone-who-1463705702

I thought the number one reason for bankruptcy was becoming an expeditor....nice article though. Hope you get over 3000 responses and welcome aboard ...........somedays we can be rude, upsetting, and nice all at once. Depends if someone did or did not get a shower, or at least a free one.

jimlookup

Seasoned Expediter
A few years ago I had $24,000 in credit card debt, all borrowed at about 3%, and a FICO score around 700. I developed a serious illness that I knew would keep me on the shelve for a while. I wanted to pay my debts, keep my good credit score, so continued making payments at a reduced level. As soon as I started making minimum payments my interest rate and payments shot up, and my credit score shot down. I tried to talk to the credit card companies, but when they found out I wasn't working that seemed to accelerate the process. I declared bankruptcy and unloaded $24,000 in debt for a few hundred dollars. I had three creditors and not one of them showed up at my hearing. I made payments until my lawyer told me to stop and had hoped to make some kind of deal. I felt like I had a ethics problem.
That was then. Now I believe my creditors were too busy selling credit default swaps to come to my hearing. My 24,000 was chump change. Now, I believe my ethics look a lot better than my creditors.
Right after I filed, I had like six car dealers wanting to sell me a car. It's a strange unethical world.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I think the car dealers looked at you as a good risk because you had less debt now and you can't bk on them for quite awhile.
And you probably would have been hit with high interest.

Fkatz

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Hi all, you might not know if you are getting full relief from your debts. Some states the Lawyers do not allow you to file Complete Bankruptcy, there are 2 kinds actually 4. Chapter 7 is Personal, and it completely removes your debt. whereas Chapter 13, is a reduced payment plan, that removes your debt and must be paid off in normally 5 years. The only people who make out on this is the Lawyers due to what they take as a commission of you monthly payments for handling the repayment plan to the creditors. Your Best form of bankruptcy is CHAPTER 7- COMPLETE BANKRUPTCY. If you have problems after the bankruptcy is filed and you run into debt again you cannot re-file for bankruptcy again for 7 years. [h=1]Franklin Katz, ATP,PA, PB[/h][h=1]Frank's Tax & Business Service[/h][h=1]315 E. King St.[/h][h=1]Kings Mountain, NC 28086[/h][h=1]Local # 704-739-4039 Toll Free# 877-857-1040[/h][h=1]E-Mail: [email protected])[/h][h=1]Web: Filing Services[/h][h=1] [/h][h=1]IRS Circular 230 Notice: Unless expressly stated otherwise inthis
transmission, any tax advice contained herein, forwarded with or attached to
this message was not and is not intended to be used, nor may it be relied
upon or used, by any taxpayer for the purpose of (1) the avoidance of any
tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or
local tax law provisions, or (2) promoting, marketing or recommending to
another party any tax transaction or tax-related matters that may be
addressed herein.

[/h]