Some quick Sprinter transmission questions

joderek77

Rookie Expediter
Hey everyone, was wondering if anyone can help me with these questions. I'm getting heavy vibrations on my 2003 Sprinter when I try and get up to speed, researched it and it seems like a common issue called transmission rumble strip.

A lot of people say it goes away after a transmission fluid flush. I'm getting one in the morning and I'm being quoted $285 at the Dodge dealership. Does this sound right?

I was looking through maintenance records from previous owner and it looks like transmission fluid hasn't been changed in over 100,000 miles.

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Having it changed will help some. Does the rumble happen around 45 to 55 mph? Also while slowing down? $285 sounds like they will not be change (draining), the torx convertor. Bone dry it holds 8 qts. So if they only charge you for six, you know they didn't change the torx convertor.

joderek77

Rookie Expediter
Steady Eddie, at first it was happening between 45-55 but now as soon as I try and get up to speed even at 20 MPH I get a bit of a rumble and it does rumble a bit when slowing down.

How important is changing the torx convertor?

joderek77

Rookie Expediter
Danthewolf00 thanks but unfortunately I'm not anywhere near Toledo right now I'm in Georgia. I live in Cleveland and thought about waiting until I get back to Ohio to get the fluid changed, but I don't want to risk running it that far if my tranny fluid is low.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
I live in Cleveland and thought about waiting until I get back to Ohio to get the fluid changed, but I don't want to risk running it that far if my tranny fluid is low.
Very wise move - because if you run it long enough while it is low (enough) you'll toast the transmission.

Suggest getting the service tool (aka dipstick - around $50) so you can have some peace of mind.

joderek77

Rookie Expediter
Thanks, I didn't realize they would skip over anything when flushing the fluid. Does draining the torx convertor require dropping the pan?

joderek77

Rookie Expediter
Very wise move - because if you run it long enough while it is low (enough) you'll toast the transmission.

Suggest getting the service tool (aka dipstick - around $50) so you can have some peace of mind.

I'm actually going to order one online now and keep it on the road with me!

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Thanks, I didn't realize they would skip over anything when flushing the fluid.
Some will, some won't - depends on the shop.

Does draining the torx convertor require dropping the pan?
No - it only requires popping off a small plastic cover on the front of the transmission and then undoing the drain plug (after rotating the TC to place the DP on the bottom)

It's very easy - and it's criminal that some shops don't do it.

joderek77

Rookie Expediter
Some will, some won't - depends on the shop.

No - it only requires popping off a small plastic cover on the front of the transmission and then undoing the drain plug (after rotating the TC to place the DP on the bottom)

It's very easy - and it's criminal that some shops don't do it.

Thanks for the info RLENT, this is a Dodge dealership so I will absolutely make sure they do that. Unfortunately I'm not much of a mechanic and a woman on top of that, so i always try and ask question before going into a shop so i don;t get screwed :(

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Steady Eddie, at first it was happening between 45-55 but now as soon as I try and get up to speed even at 20 MPH I get a bit of a rumble and it does rumble a bit when slowing down.

How important is changing the torx convertor?

As stated Wayne will be your best bet. He changes the torx convertor and removes and cleans the value body. He removes a flat metal bar and drills a hole that will release some torx pressure that cause's a lot of the RSN.

The RSN getting up to speed was my problem and was related to the torx convertor. So yes it is very important to have the fluid changed.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
100,000 miles and no tranny oil change is a long time. Some old time transmissions shops on American trannies usually wont tough it due to age and to long of existing transmission fluid in it. But you have a Sprinter, maybe that rule does not apply.

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
The ruble strip noise is a dying transmission. Do not drive in the rpm range you are experiencing that noise or i predict a $3,500 transmission replacement in your near future. Many times it is caused by a low transmission oil level. I wouldn't drive another mile without KNOWING your transmission oil level is adequate!

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Mine was fixed by Wayne in Toledo about 50k ago. It was horrible as I left it way too long. Cost including fluid and filter change was just under $300. Simple fix.