solo straight how do you make it work

Bama1

Seasoned Expediter
Researching
they say the cargo/van market is oversaturated go solo straight truck but then they tell you teams are only ones making it. are there any solo straight truck drivers on this site and are you making a go of it?

Tobster317

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm a solo O/O. I do good. You have to remember one thing. Everyone personal life's are different. You mite need to make more money then the next guy because you have a family with kids. Where the next guy mite be single or married the wife works with not kids or vise-vera. Everyone's home life is different. You need to decide what you need to make a week (if you drive for someone) and go from there.

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
I'm a solo in a straight. I do pretty good for my needs. It might not be enough for you though.

In reality, you don't know until you try it. Go with a fleet owner for a while and see if you make enough. I went about it in a different way. I bought a cheap truck that I paid cash for instead of driving for someone else. The truck paid for itself many times over so it worked for me. But if it wouldn't have worked I wouldn't have gone under. Whatever you do, don't go out and buy a 100k truck and then you figure out that you can't pay the truck payment and the mortgage and the car payment and still have enough left over to put food on the table.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Solar

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I know the advantages of a Sprinter over a Straight Truck, no CDL required, easier to drive, small enough to drive anywhere, no stops at weight stations.

What are the advantages of the Straight Truck over the Van?

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
I know the advantages of a Sprinter over a Straight Truck, no CDL required, easier to drive, small enough to drive anywhere, no stops at weight stations.

Since it is more difficult to get into a straight, not everybody and their mother get into it. As a result, not that many around, more loads, more load opportunities, better money.

Solar

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator

Since it is more difficult to get into a straight, not everybody and their mother get into it. As a result, not that many around, more loads, more load opportunities, better money.

The owner I'm driving for is willing to get a b class vehicle, but only if a team drives it, and to that I say, no thanks, If I ever met an owner that would let me solo drive, I would give it a shot.

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
There are some that do. Dynamite is one of them.

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Don't want to drop 30k right now on a straight as good as the money will be I'll lose my freedom, I'd be most likely driving 24 7 again coast to coast all in. I'm reluctant to become a solo straight fleet owner, just don't know the solo straight fleet owner coaching abilities as well as I do a Sprinter. :D