solar van

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
well i just orderd my solar panels and parts to keep me warm this winter while sitting on the weekends

$1379.00
2 130 watt panels
the charge controler
500 mA shunt
temp sensor wire

:eek:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
well i just orderd my solar panels and parts to keep me warm this winter while sitting on the weekends

$1379.00
2 130 watt panels
the charge controler
500 mA shunt
temp sensor wire

:eek:

Thats great! :) You doing ok? Learning the system better? haven't heard from you for awhile...

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
still waiting for the parts but the solar panel charges thru a charge controler to a battery bank which then lets you run your laptop or 12 volt frig

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Are you putting this on a regular cargo van or ?

And

How much weight is this adding to your van.

bill98

Seasoned Expediter
what kind of controller reg or blue sky
what are you using the shunt for

it was my van that Phil wrought about in last nov expediter mag

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
Are you putting this on a regular cargo van or ?

And

How much weight is this adding to your van.

it should only add about 100lbs as each pannel weights in at 26.7lbs fig the charge controler i think is like 5 lbs vs. a 200 to 300slb gen and i drive a sprinter

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
it should only add about 100lbs as each pannel weights in at 26.7lbs fig the charge controler i think is like 5 lbs vs. a 200 to 300slb gen and i drive a sprinter
Honda 2000 genset is only about 40 lbs (you can pick it up with one hand) .... and it will run a rooftop AC - particularly the smaller Dometic or Coleman units (8K to 10K BTU) ..... downside is you have to fuel it of course ..... and the limited run-time.

Guy here was just telling me about someone that makes an accessory tank for them though - will extend the run time to a couple of days ...

Dan,

Are those solar panels Sunsei brand ?

What's the warranty ?

And was it $1379 apiece for the panels ... or $1379 for the pair ?

60MPH

Expert Expediter
Yep RLENT is correct I have a honda 2000 and a coleman 9k polar cub roof top a/c. It runs it with no problems, honda eu2000i comes in at 48 lbs and the coleman is 80 lbs. I also have the extended run tank it holds 6 gallons of fuel. I can run the generator and a/c at about 3/4 load for just about 48 hours before I need to refuel. I love it:D

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Hey Ray, your green revolution link isn't working in your signature line.

Also do you service Webasto heaters and fuel cells?

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
the main thing i have been looking at is with the solar set up it's a zero maintance and zero fuel / oil to haul around,i may have to replace a wire or battery with age/time but once installed that's it.

look at it this way how much fuel/oil in 5 to 10 years will you have to buy?and thats if your gen has no break downs.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
What do you plan on using with the panels to keep warm while sitting on the weekends?

Also, what is your expected amp draw for a 24 hour period of sitting?

How may amp hours do you expect the panels to put back into the battery bank?