So was the money we spent in Libya worth it?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I ask this because I was just listening to one of them conservative talk show hosts who just lost his mind over what is happening in Libya.

So get ready... it is a good one...

The transitional government leader Mustafa Abdul-Jalil set out a vision for the post-Gadhafi future with an Islamist tint, saying that Islamic Sharia law would be the "basic source" of legislation in the country and that existing laws that contradict the teachings of Islam would be nullified. In a gesture that showed his own piety, he urged Libyans not to express their joy by firing in the air, but rather to chant "Allahu Akbar" or God is Great. He then stepped aside and knelt to offer a brief prayer of thanks.

I have no problems with this, but I wonder for those who thought that it we would see a democracy and a transition to a "better" government while getting the revenge on Qaddafi, what they feel this means and if it was actually worth it?

I think many have a problem with Sharia law, maybe they fear it but this should have been expected that it would happen and put our efforts to vain when the outcome ends up completely different than what our president and everyone in our government said would happen.

Shouldn't we actually stop thinking that we are in control of these things?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Everyone knew it was going to be Sharia law as stated in the mission declaration...

We will reap what we've sown...for better or worse....other then the revenge factor that many seem to rejoice in...no, at this point, we did not get our moneys worth...IMO

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
When all comes out in the wash we, and the Libyan people, are somewhat likely to end up with much worse that what was there.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I don't know how reliable this human rights group is but this kind of action, assuming it is true, is EXACTLY what I expect from those who took over Libya. They may end up far MORE brutal than Gadhafi ever was.

Rights group finds mass grave in Gadhafi hometown​

TRIPOLI, Libya (AP) — A human rights groups says it has discovered 53 decomposing bodies, apparently of Moammar Gadhafi loyalists, some of whom may have been executed by revolutionary forces.

The New York-based Human Rights Watch said Monday that the discovery in Gadhafi's hometown of Sirte "seems part of a trend of killings, looting and other abuses committed by anti-Gadhafi fighters who consider themselves above the law."

The group urged Libyan authorities to rein in armed groups.
The latest discovery of the grave came to light as Libya's new leaders declared the country liberated, following a brutal eight-month civil war. The declaration was overshadowed by continued questions about whether Gadhafi was executed after capture last week.

The U.S. and Britain have called for an investigation.

Rights group finds mass grave in Gadhafi hometown - Yahoo! News

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Why waste the time and effort for an investigation?....street justice. die as you lived....Least we start calling this the United States of the World....

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Why waste the time and effort for an investigation?....street justice. die as you lived....Least we start calling this the United States of the World....

There are mass graves all over the area, these are just fresh ones. It will likely increase over the years. We had ZERO business there.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Yep so again we can add this to a long list of our involvement with the result of more people getting killed.

Didn't we learn our lesson with Iraq and Vietnam?

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Sure it was! Gadhafi was a great boogeyman to rally the troops against. This country is rapidly losing a face to personify evil. Prior to Gadhafi's demise we lost Bin Laden, Saddam, Khomeini, Pol Pot, Khrushchev, Ho Chi Minh and O.J. to name but a few. Kim Jong and Castro's days are numbered, if they aren't dead already. We need a new boogeyman. How about Hugo Chavez or Bud Selig?

Shouldn't we actually stop thinking that we are in control of these things?
We should have never starting thinking we could/should even attempt to be in control.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
It seems the powers that be are longing for the days of the Cold War. These paper tigers we're going up against are but a snack to starving bureaucratic egos. Pretty soon, they'll turn on us; and no one will be left to do anything about it.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It seems the powers that be are longing for the days of the Cold War. These paper tigers we're going up against are but a snack to starving bureaucratic egos. Pretty soon, they'll turn on us; and no one will be left to do anything about it.

The so called "Cold War" never ended. It just entered a different phase.

You can bet your boots that they are going to turn on us. That has LONG been the goal. They are getting closer every day. I had hoped that I would not live to see it, I am now worried that I might.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
NOW Egypt is the next in line to announce the moving to Sharia Law for the foundation of their government.

It is interesting to read the comments on some of these "conservative" websites and forums.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Looks like the same for Tunisia. SURPRISE SURPRISE! It will get ugly. Obama NEEDS a MAJOR war, he has been working on it for a while now. He may get it.