So, How much to build a truck stop?

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
If you could, how much would you say it would take to build a brand new truck stop?

**** Lets assume the land was paid for *** Now all you have to do is put up the buildings ,pumps, restaurants, and so on and pave away. ****

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I thought I read that Love's spent $3 million to build one recently. Of course that included land.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I could see it being 3 mil very easy. Then include operating costs until money actually starts flowing into the account.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using EO Forums mobile app

zorry

Veteran Expediter
The first project I attempted with vacant land would have cost $35,000 to add a turn lane into the property.
That was 25 years ago.
I recently sub-devided a corn field. The county grabbed a 35 ft buffer along the highway. It cost me $8500 just to groom and seed that to their standards.
Rezoning can take years. My good lawyer is at $300 per hr and time adds up fast.
John can tell you about building a commercial project. It's not for amateurs.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
In general, zoning for a truck stop is very hard to get.
Then there are environmental studies.
Ever hear of light pollution ??
The people showing up with their hand out is amazing.
Permits and fees will drive you nuts.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
$100 per square foot times the entire area used? No clue but if it's a guess then that's mine.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Way low. I spent $100 sf building a house ten years ago.
And I didn't have ADA concerns.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Well, an acre is 43,560 square feet so $100/ft would be $4,356,000 per acre times however many acres. For the facilities $100 would be low but I figured it would average out once total area was taken into consideration. Just a wild guess to participate though.