Slow Freight IVX....

Falligator

Expert Expediter
Only got 1171 miles this week. Many drivers I've been hearing from have also had a lousy past couple weeks. Anyone got a good explanation on why this is happening? I know gas prices have dropped (for some). And I know that with the nasty weather lately may have been affecting it, but I really can't find a good reason for the slow down. I know that it should be a lot busier than it has. It's leaving me scratching my head.:rolleyes:

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Don't feel bad, i've only done 400 loaded miles this week myself. Not because it is slow, but because I just dropped a carrier from my broker list (company was very aggressive at finding loads, but the owner became too unbearable to deal with)! I also missed a nice 700 mile run on Wednesday because I had driven all night and couldn't physically go anymore. I ended up getting a hotel room and sleeping for a day. No loads coming out of the rail yard in Russell, Kentucky today.

Well, I am adding ground flight and J.D. Clark Woodhaven to my list and possibly Proex Logistics this coming Monday. I hope this livens things up towards the middle to end of this month for me. I have even been contemplating goingback to a regular single company the way things have been out here lately. Good luck with the rest of your month, Gator!!

Monty

Expert Expediter
It's not you driver ..... if there is no freight to haul, we all sit!

The worldwide economy is in the crapper, it will get much worse before we see a turnaround.

Now might be a good time to evaluate your finances and determination to be doing this job.

And loose the "miles" mentality, go for the "money". Money buys you things, like fuel to satisfy your mileage habit. Miles cost you money.

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
The herd will thin or grow with demand, the beauty of business it always does. Gator you are going to have a slower week here and there. You have to remember standard vans are always the hardest to move. They are the cheapest and easiest vehicles to start expediting in. With low risk, tends to come low reward.

Looking and analyzing numbers as I sometimes do.......

The last 3 to 4 weeks have shown the market firming up. Volumes are starting to move in a positive direction. While all of us would like to see it happen faster, I think the trend will continue. We will see a traditional soft beginning in July, and then I think you will see a good second half to the year. I spoke with a number of other owners and executives this last week at an event. Some are not seeing much movement, but many of them are seeing the same trends that we are.

Last edited:

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
The herd will thin or grow with demand, the beauty of business it always does. Gator you are going to have a slower week here and there. You have to remember standard vans are always the hardest to move. They are the cheapest and easiest vehicles to start expediting in. With low risk, tends to come low reward.

Looking and analyzing numbers as I sometimes do.......

The last 3 to 4 weeks have shown the market firming up. Volumes are starting to move in a positive direction. While all of us would like to see it happen faster, I think the trend will continue. We will see a traditional soft beginning in July, and then I think you will see a good second half to the year. I spoke with a number of other owners and executives this last week at an event. Some are not seeing much movement, but many of them are seeing the same trends that we are.

Just in time after the EXPO. Cool!

EnglishLady

Veteran Expediter
A favourite saying from a friend of mine .....

It is what it is, sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug

:D:p

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
The last 3 weeks haven't been bad, not great my anymeans, but not bad and even very acceptable by the standard when I was at my previous carrier...we just get spoiled when the freight is good and the rates are good...

All and all it is what it is...if you are about to get beyond on payments or bills, that sayes more about the planning and money management side of your business more then it does slow freight...i mean when you go into any business, cashflow is the 1st thing you make sure yo have in place...set yourself up for slow times before they get here, because they will get here.....

EnglishLady

Veteran Expediter
The last 3 weeks haven't been bad, not great my anymeans, but not bad and even very acceptable by the standard when I was at my previous carrier...we just get spoiled when the freight is good and the rates are good...

All and all it is what it is...if you are about to get beyond on payments or bills, that sayes more about the planning and money management side of your business more then it does slow freight...i mean when you go into any business, cashflow is the 1st thing you make sure yo have in place...set yourself up for slow times before they get here, because they will get here.....

I totally agree Dennis - way too much you hear of ppl saying that they don't have enough to make this week's or next week's bills.
No "if's" or "but's" you HAVE to have back up money (IMO of course LOL)

Scott ...... but it is what it is and if it isn't what is it :confused:

ROFL :D:p

Falligator

Expert Expediter
So what is there to do in the Greensboro, NC area?? Looks like I'm here for the weekend! Lol

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Falligator wrote:

So what is there to do in the Greensboro, NC area?? Looks like I'm here for the weekend! Lol

Save your money...if it ain't free, you shouldn't be doin it if you are so short on cash that you are about to go behind on your truck payment....:rolleyes:

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
Shawn you should have been on the conf call may 21. They laidout how it would go for e-1. Expectations were for a pu mid June. Will that happen? Have. You stopped turning down shorties when you are the only truck around? We started Sunday and had shorties all week. Total 900 miles then got a 1000 miler ought of is to ga. You never know what comes after a short load.

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Shawn you should have been on the conf call may 21. They laidout how it would go for e-1. Expectations were for a pu mid June. Will that happen? Have. You stopped turning down shorties when you are the only truck around? We started Sunday and had shorties all week. Total 900 miles then got a 1000 miler ought of is to ga. You never know what comes after a short load.

Yes, take what you can while you can. Hated to do it, but just got off 139 mile run, but who knows what that will bring....(140 mile run-lol). I had an ok last three weeks, some short ones, some turn downs, some long ones. Take out some parts, Labor and repairs, still did ok.