Sleeper install on a used straight truck

uriykir

Active Expediter
Hello, I purchased a used freightliner m2 from ryder and a used 60" sleeper that was formerly on a mid 90's western star truck. I'm looking for anyone that might know a good shop that can install this sleeper for me. The shop that was supposed to do it basically bailed on me. I'm from Rochester, NY any where within 400 miles would be great. thanks for any help guys.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Hello, I purchased a used freightliner m2 from ryder and a used 60" sleeper that was formerly on a mid 90's western star truck. I'm looking for anyone that might know a good shop that can install this sleeper for me. The shop that was supposed to do it basically bailed on me. I'm from Rochester, NY any where within 400 miles would be great. thanks for any help guys.

Can you post some pics of this rig and the pieces you want combined?

uriykir

Active Expediter
I don't have an actual pic of the truck, but here is a similar one. The pic of the sleeper is actual sleeper. The truck is a 2007 freightliner m2 106 with a 26ft box
ImageUploadedByEO Forums1411632157.153384.jpgImageUploadedByEO Forums1411632170.373274.jpgImageUploadedByEO Forums1411632179.591277.jpg

tknight

Veteran Expediter
your going to need a full service shop for that i think you can get it done in erie next to the ta, and there is a shop nearby also across the interstate. frame stretch is needed, whats you current gvw on that truck, your going to lose cargo capacity for sure!

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
Not to mention that just the pieces, box, sleeper, cab/chassis he is at 39.83'. Considering that is a booted sleeper which will take another inch or two of space mounted to the cab and a minimum of 2 inches between sleeper and box and guess what ? It will be very close to being over the 40' limit. The spacing I used is minimal and may need be greater than that. I know my box is very close to my sleeper and I am at 3". My old FL had a booted sleeper and the gap on it was 2 1/2 inches.

You had better get a tape measure and go measure everything and get exact spacing in between sleeper and cab and sleeper and box before proceeding any further. You could be halted before you start by the 40' limit on truck length.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
could always sell the box and buy a used 24' or if it has a lift gate cut it off and save weight too

uriykir

Active Expediter
Its a 26k gvwr truck. Plan is to cut the box to length, and youre correct its booted so sleeper total is 62". Definitively dropping the liftgate.

uriykir

Active Expediter
your going to need a full service shop for that i think you can get it done in erie next to the ta, and there is a shop nearby also across the interstate. frame stretch is needed, whats you current gvw on that truck, your going to lose cargo capacity for sure!

any chance you remember the name of the shop. Im trying my best to google around.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
Its a 26k gvwr truck. Plan is to cut the box to length, and youre correct its booted so sleeper total is 62". Definitively dropping the liftgate.

By the time you are done you could have bought a turnkey ready to go for less money and less headache.

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
By the time you are done you could have bought a turnkey ready to go for less money and less headache.

Not many under 26k trucks that would have a sleeper like that, going to have to build that yourself.

Im going to throw my 2 cents in, keep the liftgate, unless you have customers lined up and you know what you are hauling and know that you will never use it.

Stonecoldtrucking

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
I have a 2005 freightliner m2 106 and I found a old sleeper in a parts yard that came of a freightliner and I was wanting to clean it up fix it up and add it to my truck. I'm located in Gainesville ga. any ideals of were I could get that done?

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
I have a 2005 freightliner m2 106 and I found a old sleeper in a parts yard that came of a freightliner and I was wanting to clean it up fix it up and add it to my truck. I'm located in Gainesville ga. any ideals of were I could get that done?
Try Forest Park Tructor and Trailer Service in Forest Park, GA. I had some work done there and they are nice people. Don't know if they will do what you need, but it is worth a phone call. Let us know what you find.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk