Sleep Apnea

Big Al

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Been here and done that at Mayo in Florida. Wearing the mask is like being "on the rack". My Grandmother was the worst snorer I've ever heard and that includes 23 years U S Navy. She would rattle the shingles. She lived to 102, if she'd been treated she could have probably lived to 120? :cool:

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
I have had my CPAP for 7-8 years ...it does change your life...can NOT sleep without it..there are other ways other than the $2-3,000 sleep studies to get tested and prescribed your cpap....you can do the by mail kit as I did for $250 ..

Sent from my DROID RAZR using EO Forums mobile app

moose

Veteran Expediter
..there are other ways other than the $2-3,000 sleep studies to get tested
indeed.
like this one:Jawbone UP Wristband Movement and Sleep Tracker Review - YouTube
but there's a catch.
the wrist band measure buddy vibration, bereaving, along with heart beats, blood pressure, sugar levels, electric current, sweat & so on.
the same gadget is been advertised as the ultimate relationship breaker.
it can tell on the phone app if the women is 'faking it' or not. !!!

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Got mine in 2004 and have slept like a log ever since. Got stuck a couple of times w/out it and felt lousy the next day. If there is anyway you can figure out how to pay for a test, really need to get it done, it will make you a new person. Your wife will love it because she won't have to listen to the volcano sleeping next to her.

Last edited:

guido4475

Not a Member
The more weight I lose the better i sleep. A long hard road but I am doing it..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using EO Forums mobile app

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I use them Breath Right strips....my problem is in the nostrils collapsing and constricting the airways....1 strip keeps them open and it cuts down the snoring as well....

guido4475

Not a Member
You have something called nostrilitus..or something like that. There is a nasal spray for that..I had it and the spray cleared it right up..my nose holes were swelled shut..

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Great self remedy. No more than the strips cost, it might be an idea that anyone that snores should try them.
Small amount gambled to get some relief.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
You have something called nostrilitus..or something like that. There is a nasal spray for that..I had it and the spray cleared it right up..my nose holes were swelled shut..

the sidewalls of my nostrils kinda collapse especially more so with age now....the strip help keeps the passage open and I breath less thru my mouth when the snoring occurs...
I think people should try other options before opting for the expensive test....not every breathing problem is Apnea....

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I heard on XM today that Martin Transport pays to test all of their drivers. Martin also picks up the cost of the machine as long as the driver is at Martin.
They have 400 drivers in the program.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Great self remedy. No more than the strips cost, it might be an idea that anyone that snores should try them.
Small amount gambled to get some relief.

I broke my nose when a teenager and it was not fixed properly....1 passage is reduced....

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I heard on XM today that Martin Transport pays to test all of their drivers. Martin also picks up the cost of the machine as long as the driver is at Martin.
They have 400 drivers in the program.

betcha they'll not be paying retail for the cost of testing....

zorry

Veteran Expediter
If Fedex would pay to test me, I really wouldn't care how big of a discount they negotiated.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
If Fedex would pay to test me, I really wouldn't care how big of a discount they negotiated.

exactly....if the Feds got group rates who'd care?.....:)

Factoid: I don't know about other states....I've learned if you stay intrastate only in SD don't need a FMSCA physical to renew CDL.......

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
the sidewalls of my nostrils kinda collapse especially more so with age now....the strip help keeps the passage open and I breath less thru my mouth when the snoring occurs...
I think people should try other options before opting for the expensive test....not every breathing problem is Apnea....

Have you been tested for sleep apnea...odds are you do have it...its nothing to mess with..it can/will kill you..don't worried...DOT will make sure you find out...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using EO Forums mobile app

Last edited:

Jenny

Veteran Expediter
One thing that drive me crazy about all of this is that they keep saying that heavy people have it, and are the ones who need to be tested. Not true. My brother and sister in law are sleep analyst who went to school for this and work in a sleep lab, and if affects people of ALL shapes and sizes. Babies, super skinny, healthy, active people, not just overweight...

Sent from my VS870 4G using Xparent Pink Tapatalk 2

Big Al

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member

Not familiar with this product; however there are some products that are great for a few days but continuing use there will be a rebound affect.

guido4475

Not a Member
One thing that drive me crazy about all of this is that they keep saying that heavy people have it, and are the ones who need to be tested. Not true. My brother and sister in law are sleep analyst who went to school for this and work in a sleep lab, and if affects people of ALL shapes and sizes. Babies, super skinny, healthy, active people, not just overweight...

Sent from my VS870 4G using Xparent Pink Tapatalk 2

Or they see with a large neck and automatically think you have it.if you are a member of ooida, the last i knew the sleep test was 300 bucks. Ovm, have you noticed better sleep since you quit smoking?..

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Or they see with a large neck and automatically think you have it.if you are a member of ooida, the last i knew the sleep test was 300 bucks. Ovm, have you noticed better sleep since you quit smoking?..

Not any more really noticeable ....this job we sleep screwy anyways....