Sirius Radio

dieseldoctor1

Expert Expediter
My Sirius radio has been going off and on for weeks now. Like this morning it wouldn't work ( aquiring signal) for several hours then worked for a few hours and now is not working. Is anyone else having the problem or is my radio going bad? I know this should be in teck forum but there are more drivers in here so thought I might get a quicker answer. Thanks Guys!

Dieseldoctor

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have a Delphi radio with the Sirius built in. When it gets stuck in aquiring, I switch out of Sirius mode, turn the radio off then back on and go back to Sirius. That usually clears it up. I haven't been having an on-going problem with this. Just once in a while.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Ours has been working fine. No signal acquisition issues here.

DougTravels

Not a Member
I have a sirius streamer replay and yeah mine does it too. I have to push it down into the mounting bracket on the left side or sometimes wiggle it out a little. My wires plug into the bracket then the radio slides into the bracket, I've already replaced the bracket once. When I talked with them it seems this is an ongoing problem with the streamer replay.

Which radio do you have? By the way good luck with customer service they pass the buck and it took a few calls to get mine in the mail. I'm thinking of putting a little superglue in the frontside ,so I can cut them back apart if it don't quit, it is quite aggravating.

I bought a lifetime membership a couple of years ago. When my first radio died last summer, I bought this one and they wanted 75.00 to activate my new one. I `argued that it was their p.o.s. radio that died and they waved the fee. They said my "lifetime memebership" is only good for 3 radios total too. When 2 more of their crappy equipment fail my "lifetime" membership is done.

hedgehog

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've encountered the same problem this past week, especially the past 48 hours.

While driving in the Wyoming, MI area early this morning (3-7-09) I lost about 1/3 of the channels. Some would play, others would not.

I finally got tired of the outage and turned on Bubba Bo out of Cincinnati. Most of the callers were complaining about the scheduling problems on the XM side.

Thought I heard him mention that WLW is going to drop both his and Steve's midnite shows?
Or, was XM going to eliminate their shows?

Wingnut

Seasoned Expediter
That's happened to us before. We discovered that one of the wires inside was about broken in half. Got the wires fixed and haven't had a problem since.

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
My XM radio is four years old and working fine. I don't particularly like all the channel lineup changes since the merger with Sirius. Signal acquisition hasn't been a problem. I hope Sirius-XM manage to continue for many years to come. It would be a dreadful loss.

inkasnana

Expert Expediter
We haven't had any problem with our radio and getting a signal. I, too, hope Sirius-XM continues. I would be lost without it. I do really miss the Starlite channel on Sirius though. The Blend just isn't the same.

Last edited:

dieseldoctor1

Expert Expediter
Thanks to all you guys I know it is not Sirius's problem. I was at the J in Perrysburg,OH last night and they didn't have an antenna but the nice young lady clerk went in the back and pulled a base (mounting bracket) out of a new radio kit and let me take it out to the truck to try. It didn't help at all. I then went to the Petro and bought an antenna. That put it to working. Thanks guys! Be safe out there!

Dieseldoctor

susie q 52

Seasoned Expediter
Steve and Bubba Bo will be on XM 152 from friday nite on. Not sure where on sirrus. Thursday nite(fri morn) Steve said he just found out that nite when he came to work. I'm really not happy since the merger, that trucking show on 171 is really bad.(my opinion), if I wanted CB talk I would turn mine on.

moose

Veteran Expediter
Susie !
welcome ,
nice truck...
don't be a stranger , post at will.
hope you getting more millage under those wheels.

Moose.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I had the same problem and it turned out to be my antenna. Some of the antennas were supplied by some Chinese company and there is a seal that is defective in them. It doesn't let water in but moisture and it plays havoc with the signal.

routejumper

Seasoned Expediter
Very grateful I have no problems. I have one of the original "Sportsters" with the rotary dial on the left. These were the first ones produced, before the FCC orderered the manufacturers to decrease the signal capabilities. I have it hardwired into the truck radio with a FM Inverter, and an outdoor antenna shape like a small dish. When this original "Sportster" dies, I think I'm gonna have problems.

Falligator

Expert Expediter
Yeah, I've got the Stilleto 2 and had some problems with the car docking unit. There equipment seems to be junk. the radio is good but accessories....jeez.....I had to buy another 52 dollar car docking station for my stilletto.....it gets aggravating cause you have to hide that "really long" antenna somewhere in your car. I've actually thought about maybe building a sirius antenna to the moon. Only a couple more antennas to go....lol:D

The Enemy

Veteran Expediter
When my first Sirius unit took a dunp on me I ended up switching to a hard wired unit. I had already updated my head unit in the Sprinter to a Kenwood unit with all the bells and whistles that was Sirius ready. I ended up buying the sirius modulator so not everything is hidden. No more Sirius unit mounted to the windshield. Now I access it thru the Kenwood unit along with my laptop, which means I can listen to the thousands of songs on the laptop as well as having better sound when We watch a movie on the laptop. If anyone wants more infor on how to do this, just let me know.

hedgehog

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanx for all the info on antennas. Maybe it's time to replace it.

Two years ago I went to Wal-Mart to buy just an antenna, and the cost was around $45. The sales person suggested I buy a whole new kit (which included a cheap plastic channel controller) for $27 and just use the antenna, which I did.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Bought a truck antenna with mine. No problems with that. With every radio I've had, there have been times I had to hit the reset button. Good to know where it is, as that's the first button I press when there's a problem.

Susie... Sirius truckers' channel is 147. I like that they merged, because Sirius had a terrible lineup on that channel.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
They have improved the trucker channel, but they need to come up with something for the overnight. I don't know what that crap is they have now, I didn't last 10 minutes with it the other night.