Silly speaker question

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
For the old Sprinter owners...anyone upgrade with 6x9's? I have them so they're free and sounded great in my old Dodge Ram van

Cut into headliner? Make custom box mounted to ceiling? Cut into bottom of door pockets?

They're designed for free air like a trunk I know...

Mount into partition wall with no box? Ideas?

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Good question. I have been pondering how to upgrade my puny 4inch 150watt speakers myself. There alright, but could be a lot better. I was leaning towards custom box mounted to ceiling or partition behind me.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've got some Kicker speakers (Walmart) that fit the 4 inch location they worked great with a better head unit...i chose pioneer 200w with bluetooth
These are for midbass i have a jl sub and amp going in eventually

Yes I know 6.5 " in a pod in the door...im looking for free or close to it

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have the window partition so I'm thinking Plexiglas and cutting 2 6x9 holes...make it flip open so I can get the Espar cab heat to my "sleeper", kill 2 birds with one stone I'll post how it sounds mounted in the partition

Another crazy idea...rubbermaid container as instant speaker box lol

Reactions: RoadTime

JohnMueller

Staff member
Motor Carrier Executive
Safety & Compliance
Carrier Management
Cargo van owner-operators are some of the most creative, problem solving individuals I know. It's true.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I added two simple speaker boxes to my bulkheads. Each contains a midrange and tweeter. This pic is the passenger side. I put in a separate head unit in a console I built that replaces the passenger seat.
Speaker Box.JPG

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Fortunately for me I have a big hole already for the speakers where the partition window is...that may be the only space I have to fit the JL sub...thanks for the pic!

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I added two simple speaker boxes to my bulkheads. Each contains a midrange and tweeter. This pic is the passenger side. I put in a separate head unit in a console I built that replaces the passenger seat.
I'll enjoy that some day.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Replacing my dash speakers with kicker 41DSC44, originals (torn to hell) say made in italy...out of coffee filters it looks like (used)
IMG_20161213_1540496.jpg
To anyone interested - buy at Walmart, pull on the middle of the gray pillar to remove, work the plastic covers off, pry up old speaker and burn it so no one else has to suffer, the wires fit exactly as they should...one big one small...bend a tab to wedge in new speaker and add a screw to secure if desired...replace speaker cover and pillar...voila sounds like HD!

Last edited:

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
5 minutes later

While leaps and bounds above the factory speakers, trying to get bass out of a 4" speaker not recommended

Edit : connected to a better source (not radio) with a good deck these things rattle the dash! LOL! :D

Walmart Pioneer 6x9's next lol

Last edited: