Should we ban cycling?

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
How many people are killed/injured riding bikes? In 2015, 818 people lost their lives in bicycle/motor vehicle crashes, more than two people every day of the year in the U.S. This represents a 6 percent increase in bicyclist fatalities since 2006 and a 12.2 percent increase from the previous year (2014).

:flykite: Kite flying will not be banned this year,, hang around, it could be...lol It's early yet.

Andyinchville1

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
In VA cyclists are allowed on most roads except interstates....

For safety sake I think they should change the laws so cycling is only allowed on roads with a bike lane and / or roads with 2 or more lanes going in the same direction so motor vehicles have a safe way to get around the slow cyclists .... I can't begin to tell you all the scary things I've seen happen on narrow curvy / hilly 2 lane roads (with solid no passing lines) as vehicles try to get around them ....

I guess as the saying goes "there's not too many problems a 45 and a shovel can't fix" BUT in this case you would not need a 45 and who carries a shovel with them all the time ? ;-O

Personally, I don't ride bikes unless it's a residential neighborhood with wide roads, a bike path, or trails but I do realize some folks do commute via bike for work purposes .... good luck to them !

Solar

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I never thought I would be a bicycle person, but I bought a mountain bike on a impulse with a cousin, and I forgot how much fun they were, and convenient.

In California, I had a bike with an all aluminum frame, and disc brakes. It was phenomenal. Had it lit up all legal, and bar to carry a bag or two. The bike lanes near Windsor, CA were large, clearly painted, and didn’t impede traffic.

That being said, you couldn’t pay me to ride a bike here in Missouri. Drivers have no experience with cyclists, and run them off the road as if the cyclist is doing something illegal. In fact, most cross walks are ignored by the average driver in this state. You’d really be taking your life into your own hands here.

Of course, it’s not just Drivers faults. Every time I see a cyclist run a red light I wish I’d see a cop take them down. Some cyclists think the laws of the roads apply to them.

All in all, I personally don’t think bike riding should be illegal, I just think it should be within city limits.

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The question is a thinly veiled attempt to compare bicycle riding with guns. As if the two types of facilities are even remotely comparable.

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
There have been enough cyclists deaths in ohio that a law was passed that you HAVE to give 3 feet clearance around a cyclist as you pass them.

Solar

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
The question is a thinly veiled attempt to compare bicycle riding with guns. As if the two types of facilities are even remotely comparable.
Oh, I missed that.

Statistics can be used to say anything, even though they are factually true.

Forbes drove this point home in a funny way in 2012, showing how Global Warming directly harmonized with the number of pirates in the world.

It’s how people now use fake logic, what we call “fake news”, as conclusions that pass for critical thinking. Cherry picked stats, a biased narrative, and presto, you have 90% of Mainstream Media reports and stories.