Should I stay or Should I go?

Patobo2

New Recruit
Driver
Question for all the experienced expediters out there...so I've been sitting in El Paso since Monday night...its now Wednesday night and the two companies I've signed on with have put out some bids but nothing yet...getting antsy and starting to think I should push east...hate rolling empty though...I left Phoenix on the notion from dispatch they could get me rolling in El Paso. I'm in a high roof promaster and this is my first run...I have a buddy thats been doing this for a year now and he mentioned on his first run, he took a job to Seattle and was stuck there for a week...whats everyone's thoughts on running down jobs vs staying put?
Thanks

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Question for all the experienced expediters out there...so I've been sitting in El Paso since Monday night...its now Wednesday night and the two companies I've signed on with have put out some bids but nothing yet...getting antsy and starting to think I should push east...hate rolling empty though...I left Phoenix on the notion from dispatch they could get me rolling in El Paso. I'm in a high roof promaster and this is my first run...I have a buddy thats been doing this for a year now and he mentioned on his first run, he took a job to Seattle and was stuck there for a week...whats everyone's thoughts on running down jobs vs staying put?
Thanks
Personally i would give it a couple more days as Thursday and Friday are better freight days. If you are running independent with two different companies, then i would add to the list say add maybe 1-2 more companies. It cant hurt. Remember when running out of a border town such as El Paso, rates are going to be lower than most loads because everybody is bidding on the same freight as you. Hope this helps.

Reactions: Grizzly

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I agree with treadmill. Expedited is like that.
One week your waiting and insanely bored, then you are humping nonstop the next week hoping to keep up. Look around and find out how many other vans are in the area if its saturated watch the van count. Remember other drivers are likely going to get bored, tired or frustrated and move as the weekend gets closer.
Good luck.

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I agree with the previous posts.
Sometimes ya gotta be patient. Each city is a learning experience and one rule doesn't apply. Washington and Oregon are like the abyss, ELP isn't. There's enough freight coming out of ELP that you should get something .... or maybe not.
Good luck ..

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yup, I would be camping out in EP until something pops.
Hopefully, not much longer before you get something.
A long weekend run is what I'd be hoping for at this point

Sent from my P00I using EO Forums mobile app

Patobo2

New Recruit
Driver
Thanks for the replies and advice...I'll hang out and hopefully something will pop soon. Good thing is there's a grandys here so I can get my double chicken fried steak dinner...by the by..anyone got any good suggestions for companies? Treadmills suggestion for adding a couple more companies is a good one but there's got to be more out there than the ones advertising on EO.
Thanks again

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The thing about El Paso, Laredo and the other border towns, you can sit there for a week and then get a week's worth of revenue in one load to Michigan.

As for having 3 or 4 different dispatchers (instead of just 1 or 2) all bidding on the same exact freight out of El Paso...

Reactions: RoadTime

Patobo2

New Recruit
Driver
Just an update for anyone curious...another day down with no load...still enjoying El Pasos hospitality....which begs the question..what's the longest you waited between loads?

Solar

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just an update for anyone curious...another day down with no load...still enjoying El Pasos hospitality....which begs the question..what's the longest you waited between loads?

A week.

I hate leaving the east. Every time I go far west I expect to sit.

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Usually 7 days is my limit. I know a certain expeditor who spent 28 days in Laredo with no load.

Patobo2

New Recruit
Driver
Wow! 28 days?? I can't even fathom....
I mean I'm getting stir crazy at day 4...
Debating waiting out the weekend and if nothing pops,head out further east on Monday or just pull up stakes tomorrow if nothing shakes...
Typing this at the El Paso Library..quiet and Free wifi...bathrooms always available...

Reactions: Solar