Should I get my own authority

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Hi Walldawg,
Welcome to EO. Let me speak for your myself. I think asking this question on this forum is like asking someone us to get you permission to make money. You stated that you've been driving for a local for ten yrs. Driving for a local delivery service can't even compare to driving expedite freight OTR. or even Regional. Expediting isn't just a job, Let me steal the line from the USMC. and say IT'S AN ADVENTURE. This life style isn't for your average JOE, looking to go site seeing. Conditioning and a whole lot of discipline play a major part in being or not being a good expediter.

The best advice I can give to you is for you to take some time and look back at all the past posts on this site. There are multiple posts on this same subject. Here is a link to some info regarding Authority and insurances. http://www.expeditersonline.com/authority.html
This link will give you some idea as to what it will cost you to get your own authority. You may want to ask yourself what good is an authority whit out any freight?

If after you see the cost and you still think you want to take the plunge, this link ----- http://www.expeditersonline.com/2001/April/Everything349.html
will give you some info on getting your own authority.

If you follow my suggestion and do all that, and still find you want to do this Expediting thing! Then may I suggest finding an O/O to work for as a driver for a while, about 6 months or so. This would have been suggested to you in most of the archived posts that you read. If after that you still find it in yourself to do and change your lifestyle to be an Expediter then I guess your as crazy as the rest of us! Then you will indeed need to post on this forum all the time just to help keep your sanity. WELCOME!!!!

walldawg

Expert Expediter
I guess I should explained my self better as in local I ment a small carrier for eagel air frieght and townair I have ran the otr.most of my runs are 600 plus miles one way. But with this little guy there is no waiting for a ride home its get back asap for the next run

Iam interested in expanding as was wondering if maybe I should break out on my own. I obviously need an mc # to run for the listings say in getloaded.com.I need some help in this area as he has always got my loads for me.

Thanks
Tony