Should I get into expediting?

Big Al

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
A friend of mine who is currently an O/O in air frieght has asked me to team with him in a class D for FedEx CC. How is it? Is the money there? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

G

If your set on expediting, the only way to go is a team. As a single driver, you will only be offered short runs that will do nothing but waste your time.
The majority of teams that I've spoken with that are leased on with FedEx in a D unit are staying busy.

Big Al

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
The way the concept was explained to me, it seems like it would only work with teams unless you are willing to run illegal. The FedEx guy made it pretty clear that they are fussy about complying with HOS regulations (maybe BS?). I can see where it might be tough to do this solo.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
You will not run ilegal with Fedex CC unless you are deadheading somewhere. They are very strict about the HOS rules and you will simply be not offered a trip that requires a team. If no teams are available they will ask you to haul the freight to a transfer location and then bring in another truck for the remainder of the trip.Depending on where you live you can make a modest living driving solo but plan on being away from home a lot.We are a team and after much analysis we believe the 2nd driver is responsibile for 60 % of the income.The computer tracks your hours of on duty plus driving time, so in many instances you may have taken a 5 hour trip and only have 5 hours left,so if a run comes up that the computer schedules at 5 hours and 1 minute you will be passed over and never know about it..another disadvantage of being solo is that you could get stuck on a nighttime schedule.Many trips load at night for 0500-0700 deliveries,then you are out of hours untill the next night..

G

>
You can make it running solo you just have to put a lot of work into the first year and find out all of the tricks and shortcuts to the game. Weekend runs can pay you up to two thousand dollars which gives you a good start of the new work week. Then if you do get five short runs at two to three hundred bucks each youve made a couple thousand that week.You will then take all the deductions out, fuel etc. and it works out ok. You have to love the job in order to make it, and then if you have a bad week it just doesnt seem to bad after all. luck to ya