Should i buy a used or new sprinter van?

El_turco12

New Recruit
I'm an expediter as a straight truck driver, am tired of of ELOGS and landlord complaining about my truck park in their private plaza, o wanted to be an owner operator for straight trucks but it seems too expensive to maintain, I've done my research and now I'm hooked of getting a sprinter van, my goal is to be a owner operator and it seems owning a sprinter van is perfect for me. Less headaches finding parking, i don't need to worry for low bridge, sprinter van will breakdown but at least it will not be very expensive like the straight trucks. Now my questions is should i buy a used or new sprinter van for expediting?

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Sprinter will be very expensive like straight trucks. Transit will just be expensive. Go back and find the reports by Moot on his Transit expenses. VERY thorough and complete.

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
Things you want to do once a year in a sprinterish van.
New tires
Breaks
Transmission filter change
Rear differential fluid
Do them in the fall before winter sets in.
Change your air filters twice a year
1 time just after polian hits and then in the fall for winter.

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
Case in point:
Sprinter breaks at dealership $1800 and up
Ford transit dealership if your unlucky $400
While yes you can buy the parts online cheaper you have to know where to buy them at.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Sprinter will be very expensive like straight trucks. Transit will just be expensive. Go back and find the reports by Moot on his Transit expenses. VERY thorough and complete.
Here's a link to my maintenance cost for a 2015 Transit. 2015 Ford Transit Maintenance Costs

I just dropped $3200 at a Ford dealership to have all 6 fuel injectors replaced. Number 6 was causing a misfire and needed to be replaced. I opted to have all replaced at 451,000 miles figuring if one failed, the other 5 must be close. I will update my maintenance costs at year end.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
I would never buy used unit, unless you can see maintenance records of unit. Right now I would look on wants ads on for drivers. Let someone else make payments on unit,

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
I would find some one to drive for. Have a contract set up to explain what you are to get and what owner is responsible for. Than have someone go over contract with you.

Reactions: danthewolf00

VTurri

Seasoned Expediter
Every make and model can be a pain in the you know what at times

I personally like the high roof 176 WB Mercedes, or the Dodge Transit 159 WB over the Fords. Seems the Fords are not much better than the Mercedes for maintenance costs, Mercedes have less issues if you really pay attention to the DEF system and don't idle the van. Overall experience at Mercedes dealers have been positive. Can't say the same for Ford, they are very revenue driven. The Dodges have great motors, transmission is the weak link of the vehicle, but they are very affordable to maintain.

Last edited: