Should i buy a box truck or a flatbed for expedited frieght?

dion90

Rookie Expediter
should i buy a box truck or a flatbed for expedited frieght looking at like a 24ft is there more loads for a box or a flatbed? I see on the load boards it seems like there is more flatbed loads any help would be appreciated..

Thanks
thanks.png

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
By "load boards" do you mean Uship? There are precious few expedite loads that ever end up on publicly accessible load boards. Visit a truck stop and see how many flatbed expediters you find (there won't be many). Call expedite carriers and find out what they say about flatbed for expedite (it won't be encouraging if you're set on a flatbed truck).

A 24 foot box truck with a sleeper is all that and a bag o' chip in the expediting business. Even better if you have a co-driver to keep it moving while you're sleeping.

SHARP327

Veteran Expediter
I think (if they'd sign you on) with a flatbed straight truck you could stay pretty busy with Landstar by picking loads off their load boards....not sure but I see a ton of good paying loads that would fit on my 22 footer if it was a flatbed.

you'd have to sign on with Express because Ranger and Ligon won't use little trucks....Hey it's worth a shot.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If your talking expidite straight for sure. If your thinking about what most refer to as hotshot then a flat may work well.

crich

Expert Expediter
Fleet Manager
US Navy
if you got a 1 ton dually and at least a 32' trailer you can double and triple load off landstar and ch.
you can do well over $3 per mile with that set up. hands down flat will out gross any expedite straight on the road.as far a rate per mile but u get your hands dirty sweat and have to work tarping and strapping. its really no contest.as far as expedite companies tri-state and panther both broker out quite a bit of expedite. and landstar is good you can deal direct with ranger you combine ranger and ch you wont need anyone else. they both pay in 2 days. plus ch gives you 50% a soon as your loaded.

let me clarify this before someone calls out.to run a small flat set up for ranger you will need your own authority and set up as a carrier for landstar. I don't think they lease these types trucks under ranger but once you sign on as a carrier you can haul for them at 85-90% of the gross vs the 70 something percent you would get running for express

Last edited: