Fuel for Thought Shortcuts

chillout

Administrator
Staff member
On Time Media Staff
There are many ways to complete a particular task. Some tasks require specific steps to reach the desired end result, while others can be accomplished with many different options to still reach the end result satisfactorily.

Short cuts can be useful, even beneficial for reaching your desired goal faster or for less expense. Then there are some shortcuts that should be avoided at all costs. Determining whether or not taking a shortcut will be to your benefit will vary depending on the risk factors involved.

READ MORE...

Reactions: Moot

Kazper

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
In my very early days, about a decade ago.. I did a very similar thing. Had no GPS, only a trusty atlas and a thriving desire to experience new things out on the open road.
I was on a tight schedule and had maybe $25 in my pocket. No time for ATM hunting.
The company I was driving for had a reimbursement policy for tolls. No handy dandy electronic box superglued to the windshield.
I did my trip plan and flipped a coin.
West Virginia toll way VS. US-52.
Federal highway, can't be all that bad, right?
Dammmnnnn.. talk about an adventure.
By the 3rd 10% grade and hairpin turn at the bottom, I was committed. No turn around in sight.
7 hours later, I had successfully navigated the absolute worst road I have ever seen in a semi.
Lost a couple hours.
Saved a couple bucks.
Learned a very important lesson.
My current trip plans now include checking Google maps to see the lay of the land when considering any roads less traveled.
There are many shortcuts out there.
That road is certainly not one of them.
In the end, I'm just glad it wasn't January.

Reactions: Ftransit and Greg

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Kazper , glad you made it through the shortcut. I believe it is a " right of passage " for all drivers, no pun intended, to take the shortcut at least once and live and learn to tell the story. Great story.

Reactions: Ftransit