Share your space saving ideas

Missie600

Active Expediter
We are home for a few days (more major repairs on Titanic) and I am trying to rearrange a few things on the truck. First getting winter clothes on board and wondering if any of you have some clever ideas of how to store items. Or even how to multitask a space or item.

I have a basket that I keep in the microwave that I keep fruit and veggies in. I do have to leave the basket out for quite a while after I use the microwave to let it cool down. Maybe I should store something else in there.

We do not use the top bunk for sleeping so we removed the mattress and put several bins with latching lids in its place. We keep a lot of our clothes in there. And my hubby has a bin with dvd's in it. We leave the bunk in the "up" position until we need something out of the bins. The bottom mattress is big enough for both of us...bigger than a twin and smaller than a double. We just snuggle :)

I hope you guys have some good ideas!! Please share!

zorry

Veteran Expediter
If you can deal with bunk down all the time you can stack more bins up there.
Ws did this in one truck and hid the mess behind a curtain.

Missie600

Active Expediter
Zorry, I always hit my head on that darn bunk when it is down!!! :mad: It would make me crazy!

We had another truck where the bunk didn't stick out as far (or maybe it was higher up) and we put a lot of stuff in it and then kept the net buckled up to keep things from flying off if we stopped quickly. But this truck is not the same.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Zorry, I always hit my head on that darn bunk when it is down!!! :mad: It would make me crazy!
Take it out...build some nice wrap around cabinets...or shelving. Ive seen some really neat looking stuff built into upper bunk areas.

As a solo, I always wanted to cut the center section out of the lower bunk and slide a recliner in there :) then sleep in the upper bunk.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I use the microwave to store cereal and bread in this truck. In the last truck I stored our paper plates and silverware in the microwave.

I set a tray in the microwave and would lift the tray out with all of my papergoods on it and I was then ready to use the microwave.

Another storage idea is to use CD holders for your DVDs the CD holders can handle 100's of CD's with very little room.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
For elect cords I use the ring that is left behind when ya open a bottle of pop. I use these in place of the bread tie that comes with the wiring.
Not a brillant idea but it works and allows me pull more wire if needed without untieing a bread wrap and then looking for the bread tie again.
Run wire thru ring,,fold wire just like it came in package and slid the ring over the bundle of wire.
Keeps wires in a nice lil bundle..For thicker cords just look for a larger bottle of pop.(big gulp)

moose

Veteran Expediter
This is what i built, same month i got the truck, it's seat on the upper bunk attachments, so can be converted back in about an hour.
took me about 3 hours to build, and another day for the wood paint to dry before installing.
also took the jump seat out.
the idea is to clear as much floor acreage as i can, to place as much items above the head, and to build it as a 'bucket', so i can 'launch and forget'.
(if you can't do it yourself simply pay a 'handy man' to do it, EZ to find @ any city.).

Attachments

• DSC00230.jpg
    DSC00230.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 109

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
For elect cords I use the ring that is left behind when ya open a bottle of pop. I use these in place of the bread tie that comes with the wiring.
Not a brillant idea but it works and allows me pull more wire if needed without untieing a bread wrap and then looking for the bread tie again.
Run wire thru ring,,fold wire just like it came in package and slid the ring over the bundle of wire.
Keeps wires in a nice lil bundle..For thicker cords just look for a larger bottle of pop.(big gulp)

Hey that is a great idea! If you do not mind I would like to share this idea in an upcoming blog I am working on?

ihamner

Expert Expediter
I LOVE this thread! Those of you in trucks can't imagine moving down to the small amount of room in a van with two people!!

We realized we were not ever using the sliding door of our van so we put magnet hooks over the door and hung shoe racks (over the door mesh type). The shoe racks have hanging holes at the top so they hand on the magnets and we are able to store our cleaning supplies, medicine, head phones, etc. in the holders.

Linda, I LOVE your idea of storing the paper plates, bowls, silverware in the microwave. I am going in Walmart now to get a little bin for that. Also, Slo-Ride, I love your drink plastic holder idea for chords! Brilliant!!

Jenny

Veteran Expediter
When we were in the sprinter we build wheel well guides that came up 12 inches to help with storage. I could fit tons of stuff in there. But I am also very good at packing. We would store our camp chairs standing up, with the help of a cargo net used in the truck of a car, latches into the D rings on the wall, which in the new sprinters are on the.floor. we would also roll up extra towels, and hoodies and put them in there as well. Trones from Ikea will mount flush to the wall with screws, not stick out past the wheel wells, are light weight , and tons of storage.

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk 2

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Just walked out of Ikea. If you've never been to one, take your time. Lot's of little ideas.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I love Ikea! [Pretty good food, too]
I also love hanging things: on the wall, over the door, wherever there's room. Curtain hooks [upside down] serve well on the back of the seats, without damaging the fabric. I hang things on hanging things, too: my wall mounted acrylic organizer has a rectangular basket hanging on the front [the kind that are 3 for $1.00] full of pens & paper clips, and a cellphone holder for the phone and another cellphone holder for my reading glasses.
One [floor] opening has a 'shoe organizer': 3 shelves [actually just dowel rods] that hold 9 plastic boxes, each with canned goods.
Under the mattress is a favorite place to put my jeans [they look pressed, lol] and a beach towel - you never know when that'll come in handy. O - there's a tv tray under the foot of the bed, which I use when I set up the printer.
My top bunk also has the bins, but I can't keep gravity from sliding the lids off, so I try not to pull it down very often.

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
What material are the trones made of? They seem too inexpensive to be very heavy duty. They are only $39.95 for 3 of them. Do they hold up well with stuff in them? Will they hold my steel toe safety shoes? They look like a great idea, hang them on the walls above wheel wells.

Jenny

Veteran Expediter
What material are the trones made of? They seem too inexpensive to be very heavy duty. They are only $39.95 for 3 of them. Do they hold up well with stuff in them? Will they hold my steel toe safety shoes? They look like a great idea, hang them on the walls above wheel wells.

There are a few sprinter drivers who have them as well. One guy kept all of his clothes, and extra supplies in them. When we had them we kept extra straps, tools, clothes, and misc items in them. I have friends who also use them at home storing multiple pairs of shoes in them