Shady Jimmy Haslam, Owner of Pilot Flying J, To Recieve Award

letzrockexpress

Veteran Expediter
Jimmy Haslam, owner of Pilot Flying J and the Cleveland Browns has been chosen to receive an alumni award from the University of Tennessee, presumably for his "service" to the university over the years. His brother Bill Haslam, Governor of Tennessee, is Chairman of the Board of Trustees of the school. Total BS. The guy looks bad because his company rips off a bunch of trucking companies so his brother tries to make him look good. Gimme a break...

Jimmy Haslam's Participation Trophy | Pith in the Wind | Nashville Scene

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I'm not sure why a federal investigation should render impotent or irrelevant everything you're done for your alma mater. The Distinguished Alumnus Award is given to graduates who have "excelled in their field on the national or international stage and have brought credit to UT." Stealing from more than 6000 trucking companies can't help but to bring illustrious credit to UT.

Besides, Barak Obama, president of one of the world's great war-mongering nations and the innovator of assassin-drones-to-kill-your-own-citizens, has a Nobel Peace Prize.

And Kim Jong-il, dictator of North Korea, a country with an immensely dysfunctional economy, was just awarded a Doctorate of Economics from HELP University in Malaysia for his "untiring efforts for the education of the country and the well-being of its people."

letzrockexpress

Veteran Expediter
I wouldn't say he is not deserving of the award, It just seems a little suspicious that they would bestow it on him at this point in time. I know he has done a lot for the university, in donations at least. I don't think I could paint Jimmy Haslam in the same light as Obama or Kim Jong Il either.

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The Haslam family has given millions of dollars to the Univ of Tn over the years. Any time one of them wants an award, all they have to do is make a suggestion to their sycophants in UT admin. or their buddies on the board of directors. Pilot - Flying J is being sued from every direction of the compass and is under investigation by the IRS. Hopefully the Feds will prosecute and convict him since it's unlikely he has anything to fear from the state of TN. In the meantime, Pilot & Flying J are good places to avoid in protest of their sleazy business practices.

moose

Veteran Expediter
. I don't think I could paint Jimmy Haslam in the same light as Obama.
you sure can, so long that Jimmy continue to make the same claims.{it wasn't me, i did not know @ the time, i was not the one making the decision}.
refuse to take personal responsibility.
yet, {see O.P, and Cleveland Browns}, at the same time taking credits for successes not belong to him.
sound familiar?
Le'me take a wild guess, his first respond for the good news was: "I'm humbled"...

letzrockexpress

Veteran Expediter
you sure can, so long that Jimmy continue to make the same claims.{it wasn't me, i did not know @ the time, i was not the one making the decision}.
refuse to take personal responsibility.
yet, {see O.P, and Cleveland Browns}, at the same time taking credits for successes not belong to him.
sound familiar?
Le'me take a wild guess, his first respond for the good news was: "I'm humbled"...

Yeah, well, I'm not sure that the words "When Jimmy lied people died" is true... It is for the other two.

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The thing that's particularly disgusting about the Haslam/Pilot/Flying J scandal is they were targeting the smaller trucking companies that were unlikely to have more sophisticated accounting and auditing systems that would detect the differences in their actual fuel rebates compared to their promised rebates. Thus, by stealing from the little guys they're less likely to get caught but at the same time they inflict more serious financial damage to people whose discounts are more important to their profitability and staying in business.:mad:

One thing Jimmy Haslam does have in common with Obama is the "buck" doesn't stop at his desk - it never gets there. He claims to have had no idea about the fuel rebate scam being perpetrated by his company in spite of the fact that it had been going on for years and his top sales and marketing people were in it up to their necks. Several of his top management people will likely go to jail, and hopefully little Jimmy will be right there with them.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
The thing that's particularly disgusting about the Haslam/Pilot/Flying J scandal is they were targeting the smaller trucking companies that were unlikely to have more sophisticated accounting and auditing systems that would detect the differences in their actual fuel rebates compared to their promised rebates. Thus, by stealing from the little guys they're less likely to get caught but at the same time they inflict more serious financial damage to people whose discounts are more important to their profitability and staying in business.:mad:

One thing Jimmy Haslam does have in common with Obama is the "buck" doesn't stop at his desk - it never gets there. He claims to have had no idea about the fuel rebate scam being perpetrated by his company in spite of the fact that it had been going on for years and his top sales and marketing people were in it up to their necks. Several of his top management people will likely go to jail, and hopefully little Jimmy will be right there with them.

Ummm??? Sounds like that is the same way some nameless carriers operate. :cool: