serious readers

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
For those who like to do a lot of reading an ebook reader can be nice to have. I stumbled on an interesting deal today at the Sony Style store. I'm not sure if it's available online or not but in the store, unfortunately only through tomorrow, they have 10% off the ebook reader as well as a model called the James Patterson that includes his 6 volumes of The Women's Murder Club series. Also, with any ebook reader purchase through the end of September you get a coupon when you register it that's good for 100 selections from the classic section. Using just the unit standard memory it will hold around 150 books. It has 1 slot for a Memory Stick memory card and 1 slot for an SD memory card so overall it will hold a lot of books and photos.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Having enjoyed this a couple days now I can add that it tracks where you last read in any book you've read so if you tend to have 3 or 4 books going at the same time this will keep you on the right page of each automatically. There are also a number of blogs etc. you can subscribe to via RSS feeds for no charge.

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
These things look interesting, but I'm hesitant. I read voraciously when I'm not looking for loads, but there's nothing like an actual book with actual pages. I treasure my books; I'm careful with the binding, I don't dog ear the pages, I'm careful eating when I'm reading, etc. I can finish a book and it will look the same as before I read it. I don't think I'll ever give up real books.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I treat real books the same way and in the house they are great. Where this thing shines is being able to have an entire library of books in the truck with me at a cost of less than two pounds for the unit and cord. Even a small selection of books is several pounds minimum. I know that doesn't change much but 10 pounds here and there turns into a lost load now and then because it adds up. The other great thing about it is it will lay flat and not close by itself or get blown closed by a breeze. If I want to read while I eat I can easily do so where with a paper book it's not so easy. There are probably over 1000 books here in the house but for in the truck this is going to be my primary now.

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
I treat real books the same way and in the house they are great. Where this thing shines is being able to have an entire library of books in the truck with me at a cost of less than two pounds for the unit and cord. Even a small selection of books is several pounds minimum. I know that doesn't change much but 10 pounds here and there turns into a lost load now and then because it adds up. The other great thing about it is it will lay flat and not close by itself or get blown closed by a breeze. If I want to read while I eat I can easily do so where with a paper book it's not so easy. There are probably over 1000 books here in the house but for in the truck this is going to be my primary now.

I get home fairly frequently, so I just grab enough to last a week or two when I'm home. If I'm not running, I'm spending so much time on the computer, either looking for freight or doing paperwork, that I can't wait to look at something that isn't electronic. It helps me maintain my sanity.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Like just about everything they aren't for everyone. I just really am enjoying it and with the free books it came with it's not a bad deal. It won't replace printed books but it will significantly supplement them for me.

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
Like just about everything they aren't for everyone. I just really am enjoying it and with the free books it came with it's not a bad deal. It won't replace printed books but it will significantly supplement them for me.

Can't beat free books.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Nope, never did object to free books. This came with 106 books included in the purchase so technically each one cost $2.75 but even used paperbacks pretty much cost that or more now. I'm satisfied with my decision.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Leo you are still not having any problem reading a screen and not a page? It seems as if when I try to read pages and pages on my computer I get distracted very easy. I sure love the idea of not having to have so many books with us. I have my IPOD when I drive and I love it so this sounds like a neat new thing to try.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
No problem at all. It shows a few paragraphs at a time so it's enough that you don't have to turn pages every 3 seconds but not so much it's hard to keep your place or anything.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I've just become aware that every couple of weeks an ebook is made available free for a few days. They won't all be of interest, like the sci-fi wasn't to me, but at least some will be a genre you'd like so I guess there are a few free books per year with this thing.