Self Protection

SpaceGhost58

Expert Expediter
Just a quick question concerning self protection while on the road.
Heard on the radio last week about a trucker who was robbed while he was pulled off the side of the road.
Got me thinking about what I could carry to protect myself.

I have been looking at some items but am curious as to what is legal and what is not legal.

And I am curious as to what others who expedite might use.
Any input is appreciated.

Spaceghost58

RobA

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I looked through that recent thread on self protection. I noticed that flare guns and bb guns were mentioned. I wouldn't try bringing either across the border if I were you. BBguns (and pellet guns) are definite no-no's.
Why would a truck driver need a flare gun? You don't launch flares into the air if you are broken down, you put them out behind you on the road. Since it isn't for use with the truck it might be frowned on.
I always say "might" because much is left to the officer's descretion.

Now here is the pamphlet outlining regualtions for importing firearms into Canada

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/E/pub/cp/rc4227/rc4227-e.pdf

Note what it says about Mace and Pepper Spray.

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I made the mention of the BB gun, but did say I wouldn't try to take it over the border.
The powerful spray bottle with alcohol is great, as are Maglite aluminum flashlights and large screwdrivers. Simply put if you want a weapon to protect yourself, you have to disguise something common as one.
Here again, more stupid rules by stupid people. Governments only want truckers to bust their asses for the benefits of big business, not be safe or be allowed to carry things to protect themselves. Truckers are not smart enough according to officials to know how to regulate themselves with big mighty firearms such as a BB pistol or pocketknife.
-Weave-

BigBusBob

Veteran Expediter
Driver
SpaceGhost, my suggestion...very simple: get yourself a Great Big MAG Lite, the biggest they make-or the 3 D cell Mag Lite. Personally I've used the 3 D Cell MAG Lite for many years...used it to fend off dogs(a few times too many), used it to give a security guard a concusion-he snuck up on me at 3am while unloading a truck in the back of a shopping center, we laughed about it later and no he did no sue me as he knew he'd done wrong-though it did send him right to the ground. I've used my MAG Lite to break open boxes, tap covers down, help un-latch things. I've even used it to-are you ready for this...see reflective street signs in the pouring rain...one better, I've used it to see road stripes & reflectors on flooded roads. I've used my MAG Lite to direct traffic at accident scenes & when I've had a break down it's paid for itself many times over. The MAG Lites are legal, useful, & can even save your life & the possibly the life of somebody else.

By the way...
Flare guns may even get you in trouble with the law if you've got a HazMat Load...your hauling a HazMat load of any kind & they catch that flare gun-hope you got that emergency fund set up.
BB Guns, well, in a rare case I was told by a driver his was used against him.
I've heard drivers using air-pistols, heard an air pistol, they look like a regular hand gun really, except instead of bullets or "a clip" they use Co2 cartridges of compressed air. I don't know if it's true, but a fellow driver told me his air pistol would take a grown man off his feet from 6 feet away. Once again though, consider a D.O.T. officer using his discretion to consider that a possible deadly weapon-your face a fine here too-even if you do have a consealed weapons permit.

Go with the MAG Lite-after all, it's just a simple flashlight right?
Keep that bad boy sittin' right next to your drivers seat in easy reach-by your side, not in the windshield-'cause you never know when fido will jump up at your drivers window at the guard gate showin' his pearly whites-thats a voice of experience. MAG Lite, They're perfectly legal throughout North America as far as I know too.
Later, Bob.

silverdollar

Expert Expediter
I would hate to be carrying a pellet pistol if a gunfight broke out,just kidding,but you would be in trouble if someone was armed and thought your pellet pistol was real.also I don`t know of a pistol that uses a "clip".

Aviator

Expert Expediter
I have a Carry permit for pistols for a lot of states. I would like to be able to keep one in the truck with me, but from what I understand, it is not legal in a commercial vehicle. :(

I think the person suggesting a flair gun, was saying use it to shoot AT a person, not in the air. Not a bad idea.

Aviator

Lureveto

Expert Expediter
All of these posts are correct in that firearms are not permitted by the DOT, the company you are leased to , and especially for border crossings. Now the flashlight thing will work in a surprise situation but, it is hard to surprise someone that has approached you to do you harm . Usually you are the one surprised. For close combat I suggest an ice pick. They are easily concealed. And it is easy to explain the reason for having one. The gun advocate in one of these posts is my kind of thinker. I could not agree with him more. I believe we should have the right to carry and I do in my home state only. When I cross the state line I am in violation of several laws. On a more personal note I might add that for over 2 years I carried a small hand gun and refused to run Canada for that very reason. I excerised that option and it was my business why I would not run Canada. Well for those of you who know me (now you know )why I would not go up there. I guess it is up to the individual to make that choice. If I had it to do again I would carry and make sure it was small enough to NEVER be seen. For those of you that have been to a gun show you know what I mean. They make guns that fit behind your belt buckle. BUY ONE AND BE SAFE ,,,,especially you guys running with your wife.

SpaceGhost58

Expert Expediter
Appreciate the information.
I know that firearms are a no-no with DOT and big knifes can get me in trouble as well.

I was thinking along the lines of pepper spray as I got some information concerning Bear repellent and the company has a line for self defense against people as well.

I would love to be able to carry a concealed weapon but we all know that will never be legal in this day and age.

If I could disable or disorient someone for a brief moment while being attacked that would give me the upper hand to flee or call the police.

Anyway thanks for the input keep it coming!!

Be Safe!!!

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
SpaceGhost58 wrote "If I could disable or disorient someone for a brief moment while being attacked that would give me the upper hand to flee or call the police."
That is what my thinking is with the alcohol spray bottle. It would only be, however, for situations where I am in the truck and approached by someone outside or someone trying to break in. I'm not sure what one could use if approached by someone with a gun while walking outside, probably the best defense is to make some noise to attract the attention of others nearby. Fortunately neither situation has happened to me... yet, but I'm sure the day will come.
-Weave-

BigBusBob

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I'm still sticking to my MAG Lite. The Flare issue, I guess I think too much on the safety issue as I still drive busses from time to time. The gun issue, there's nothing wrong with it-I've had some BB guns & pellet guns & wished I'd had 38 in my cab when that snarling dog jumped up to my drivers window of my GMC TopKick about 4 years ago-needless to say I didn't need anymore coffee that nite. I was very awake the rest of that nite. On a lighter note...The alcohal spray sounds good, but after a rough day I'd be tempted to try to drink/taste it. I'm joking of course. Anyways, the bear spray you talk of sounds interesting. explain it more to me/us if you could?

Lureveto

Expert Expediter
A law enforcement officer gave me some advice for my students who ask "can I carry a gun in my truck". Carry a spray bottle full of bleach. If you can spray it in their face you are probably going to buy more time than the alcohol would get you. If they get away and do not have a quick change of clothes (shirt) they will be easy to identify by the bleached out spots on their clothes. It does not take long for straight bleach to discolor a shirt and they may be able to catch them within a few hours. The disabling effect of bleach in the face is high to say the least.

G

One note on the bear spray: I have heard of police officers who used sprays such as what your talking about (mace?). I also have heard of them using it and the wind drifting the spray back to them resulting in the officer being just disoriented as the suspect. :+ I like the idea, but just be aware that it does have the potential to backfire on you.

louixo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
The statistics for truck drivers bieng assaulted are extremely low. That does not mean it won´t happen. The preventitive is not the weapons you see on this thread. If someone has a gun, and they are intent on harming you, you have little defense. The best preventitive is common sense. Be aware of your surroundings. Stay out of situations where you are vulnerable. Of course, carry a defensive weapon that you can use in case of an emergency, and inside your cab. I use a 12" pipe. Everyone has a tire billy, and that´s what it looks like. When going into an area I´m not comfortable with (delivery, rest stop etc.)I put it in my belt down my pantsleg.I´ve been trucking for 18 years, and the times I´ve even had to put my hand on it, are very few. The potential problems, are hookers, drunks, or wackos, that you can see anywhere on the road, no matter what you´re driving. My first reaction is to avoid them, or ignore them. If there´s a phone, I call 911. If the perpatrator can´t get to me, he´s going to look for someone else. If he get´s to me, I WILL defend myself. I´m sure you will too. But lets face it, driving a truck does not put you in harms way, any more than a car at a shopping mall.

duckchaser

Expert Expediter
I carry a craftsman 1/2" drive ratchet beside my seat at all times.
It's legal in all states as well as at the borders, it does wonders when used properly. some one mentioned a "big" knife, you dont need a big knife to get the job done a nice 1/2" blade does the job if you train yourself on the 230 diffrent spots to target the suspect, the best defence items are right under your nose in and on your truck if you just think about it.

Microsoft: Destroying the world one byte at a time !!!

Whiterabbit

Expert Expediter
Being a strong and vocal proponent of the 2nd ammendment issues here in the states my feelings are thus ...Not being able to carry an unloaded rifle is pure B>S> in my opinion , i tell my wife i carry just to ease her mind . Crimes happen DAILY to truck drivers, and some "fee truck stops" are not the safest place to hang nowadays, when tshtf its hushed up really well... Now i recommend none of this mind you BUT, Stun guns are a thing of beuaty when you need one...you can pick up CHEAP 12 ga. flare guns from gunlist , gunsnstuff etc. and at your local gunshows, you can purchase blackpowder derringers with no ffl requirements, you can also get 22 cal. inserts but you have to follow all laws, once again of course...hauling hazardous waste and carrying flare guns are a no no :)...a lit fusse may work, getting a bit "outhier " but as this is only disscussion ...any aerosol alcohol hairspray etc is good especially when a flame is applied,dont recommend this... for the obvious...getting up close and personal is good ifn you cant avoid a fight...ALWAYS go for the eyes and dont be gentle,youll be surprisd at how much the perp cannot do when your in HIS face FIRST ! Grab whatever, ear, windpipe, gonads...be ruthless and SCREAM...one can also carry two spools (empty) with a ol guitar string strung between them for that personal touch ;) ! Crazy yes!@ but in a self defence situation you better be da*n well crazy, at least as insane as the perp whose crossed your path, scissors battons etc can be handy also ...do not lose your cool as this will mostly " define the winner " . Be aware always of your surroundings and territory and escape routes ! There are plenty of self defence websites out thier and most "patriot" type of sites have some good info on them also, if you leave your political thoughts " at home" and are a bit openminded and dont mind opinionated types , they can be entertaining at the least there is some good info to gain from them one, that comes to mind is " WWW.Frugalsquirrel.com "; at least it was... its been awhile since i was there as a mod. boy does that bring back some memories ! Again i reccomend none of the above ,just disscussion here ;)

RobA

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
>
> Being a strong and vocal proponent of the 2nd ammendment
>issues here in the states my feelings are thus ...Not being
>able to carry an unloaded rifle is pure B>S> in my opinion ,
>i tell my wife i carry just to ease her mind . ,
>Stun guns are a thing of beuaty when you need one...you can ...be ruthless and SCREAM...one can also carry two
>spools (empty) with a ol guitar string strung between them
>for that personal touch ;) ! Crazy yes!@ but in a self
>defence situation you better be da*n well crazy, at least as
>insane as the perp whose crossed your path,

Hey, White rabbit, since you come across the border on a regular basis......DON'T bring any of that stuff with you.
DON'T say that you "carry"....DON'T tell the Customs guards that you are a strong and vocal proponent of the 2ND Ammendment. Don't bring two spools attached with guitar string (that is an offensive weapon)....DON'T DON'T DON'T !!!!!!
Is the US of A that dangerous a place that everybody goes around armed to the teeth??
Man oh man,this thread is down right scary!
Now, I'm no Pollyanna and say that Canada doesn't have crime and that people don't get murdered up here. They even get shot! The people who are in the greatest risk of getting shot are Jamaican drug gang members.
Canadians do not carry arms, if we have trouble we dial 911.
If you are searched and weapons are discovered, you may loose everything including the vehicle. The Canadian border guards are on the lookout for guns being imported into Canada by Americans who might ordinarily carry them in the USA.
MACE..no
Pepper Spray...no

Leave the arms and the "must be armed" attitude in the States. If you can't, you are better off not coming over the border.