Self Employed Schedule C- What expenses go where for your business?

luis27501

Expert Expediter
Expenses -

Advertising (line 8) - advertising and promotional costs like print or media ads, business cards, mailers, brochures, wavers out front, signs, pens and give-away items with the company name, samples or freebies to promote business, Include here also any sponsorships like buying an ad in a high school sports program to promote the business (AAA business wants to wish the Warriors a great season)

Car/Truck expense (9) - mileage cost for your vehicle (figured on part II of sched C) OR (and you only get one or the other) from Form 4562, your gas, oil, repairs, insurance, depreciation, license tags

Commissions/Fees (10) - Vary by state and locality - Business license, medical license, vendor fee for set up in a public place, inspection fee, any fee which must paid in the course of opening your business

Contract Labor (11) - Landscaper, Electrician, Remodeler, Cleaning service. You hired a contractor to handle some one time job like replacing a roof or an ongoing chore like keeping the landscaping up to par so that you don't have to. The key is that you hired a company to handle this.

Depletion (12) - Rare - Are you working with an exhaustable natural resource (mining, wood, quarry)? If not, skip this. If so, get help from someone who has dealt with it. I have not.

Depreciation and section 179 expense deduction (13) - The gist of this one is that when you buy a large ticket item for your business, whether it is a car or a computer, there is a table that will tell how long it should last. Each year, you get to write of a portion of that cost so that at the end of the item's life, you have effectively written the whole thing off. You will need some help on this as well.

Employee Benefits (14) - For your employees only - health, accident, life insurance premiums; also, dependent care, education or adoption assistance, even achievement awards for long service, any benefits that you supply to your employees. (You can deduct your health insurance premiums on line 29 of your 1040 or as part of the medical deduction on Sched A, POSSIBLY)

Insurance(15) - Again, Not your insurance (see 14). This insurance is for your business and for the operation of your business. Examples would be liability (the coffee is hot, maam), fire (yes, maam, really hot), theft, robbery, flood, hail, volcano, Acts of God, [too much? okay]

Interest (16) - Interest on loans to finance your business, on credit card charges for business expenses, and interest on a vehicle loan for car or truck used in business (if car used 1/2 time in business, deduct 1/2 interest here, 1/2 on sched A-which you may or may not need) Just as a word of warning here, If you are going to be doing a lot of credit card purchasing for business needs, you would do well to open a card just for your business and keep the accounts separate.

Legal/Professional Services (17) - fees for tax advice and tax preparation (boy, do I wish I knew where to send a bill *sigh* - rec maybe?) And in the infinite wisdom of our tax system (you will love this one) only the cost of preparing the sched C, CEZ, SE, 4562, 8829, and accompanying worksheets can be deducted here because they have to do with your business) Figure that at $100-$300 per business. If you and your spouse have separate yours, mine, and ours businesses, for instance, that could be $300-$900 depending on the complexity. Other business professional services can be included here. I put accounting, payroll, and reference firms under contract labor on line 11. Other tax preparers may put them here. Either works.

Office Expenses (18) - Office Supplies - Ink, paper, toner, pens, staplers and staples, paper clips, folders, and, guess what? If you have an office with a public bathroom, then use that company credit card to buy hand soap, towels, toilet paper and the rest because it is deductible too. Coffee service is here if for clients. You can put snow removal, lawn care, cleaning service under this also. Remember that the name of the game is to spread the expenses out so that you have something under as many spots as possible.

Pensions/profit-sharing Plans (19) - This is where you add in the cost of any contributions you made to pensions or profit sharing plans for your employees. Once again, you will look back to your 1040 form, on line 28 to record any contribution that you made for yourself. (and of course, once again the line 28 of 1040 comes with the modifier MAY be able to take)

Rent or Lease (20) - You have two lines here -

20a - this is for leasing a vehicle, machinery or some equipment. (if you kept the lease going for more than 30 days, you may need to look into something called the inclusion amount which may reduce the amount that you can put on this line)

20b - this is for payments of office rental or rental of other spaces for storage and any real property leases that didn't fit onto 20a

Repairs and Maintenance (21) - This one refers to cost of labor, supplies and any other items that do not increase the value or life of the property. It broke and you had it fixed. If you fixed it yourself, you cannot pay yourself and then deduct the labor. If you replaced whatever broke with something new, you need to put that under a new purchase - 13 for a big item, 18 or 22 for a small item.

Supplies (22) - Are you producing a product? What do you need to create it? What must you order to have it in stock? Those are your supplies. Put the cost of them here. Do not include your inventory. (Cloth for a seamstress = supplies, cloth for a cloth store = inventory. The first example belongs here. The second does not.)

Taxes (23) - If you don't take a tax off somewhere else, it falls into this category. Look at it like this - on an office space, it goes in with the rent but not here. Sales tax on merchandise you sell is turned over to the state and not reported here. HOWEVER - You can deduct real estate and personal property taxes on business assets, employer's share of FICA taxes, federal & state unemployment tax aid, Federal highway use tax, business permits, and licenses and taxes on a car or truck used in business (if car used 1/2 time in business, deduct 1/2 taxes here, 1/2 on sched A-which you may or may not need)

Did I hear someone say that they hate taxes?

Travel, Meals, Entertainment (24) - Not even going here - You have to be away from your "tax home" overnight. That means away from where you do business, not away from where your family lives. The expenses have to be business related. There is a portion of the schedule C to enter these expenses and then you will get to deduct either 30 or 50% of the total allowable. The 3 martini lunch is folklore. Wiped out by an overzealous media. Business travel is mainly a lot of very unhappy people sitting 1 to a table, wishing they were somewhere else. And Not at all the glamour painted. Even in the so-called hot spots. Oh, the entertainment part. You and a client and you need to be getting some business done. Sorry

Utilities (25) - If it is directly related to the business, list it here. Telephone, lights, gas, etc. If you have a separate office away from home, deduct 100%. If you have a pager or cell that is business only, 100%. If you use part of your home, take the square footage of the home, the square footage of the work only area and that will give you the percent of work space in your home. If it is 15%, take 15% of your utilities. (A construction worker that housed his truck, fully loaded with tools, in a locked garage where the only other things were a desk and storage for more work tools could legitimately claim the garage as a home office - if no one else ever parked there)

Wages (26) - Wages, salary, and bonuses. Medicare and social security that you pay on employees goes in this category as well.

Other Expenses (27) - You spent it on the business and would not have needed it except for the business. You only used it in the business. Put it here with an explanation of what it is.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Not to rain on your parade but I wonder if you are a professional tax preparer or an ea?

luis27501

Expert Expediter
Not to rain on your parade but I wonder if you are a professional tax preparer or an ea?

No neither im an O/O but I would like to help others with tax questions. I have learn most of the things I know now from my mother in law which shes a loan officer now but she did bookkeping also, lil bit of research and a good accountiing software I have used for over 5yrs quicken home and office. I have seen a lot of question on the forum about tax and deductions. So by me providing some good info will help others.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Well that's good that you are thinking that way and thank you for the info but here is the problem that I see, it may not work for those in certain situations and it is why I don't post things like this.

The info is good but lacks the judgement that people need to make informed decisions that keep you out of trouble, which happens with an experienced person who understands the complexities of the tax laws. I don't recommend a tax preparer for this reason, many can't represent you if you get audited and don't always understand the triggers of an audit while an EA and/or a good accountant can guide you through things for your situation.

What I tell people is this, get two tools in your tool box, a lawyer who you build a relationship with and an accountant who knows your situation and where you need to do to lessen your tax burden.

EASYTRADER

Expert Expediter
You can write of anything that is ussual and proper for your bussiness, assuming you bought it for the bussiness. Anything that is part bussiness and part personal you can write off the bussiness part.

Most self employed people "cheat" on their taxes. I don't.

Anyway usual and proper are the keys.

Did you know you can write off an Xbox you keep in the truck, but not one you keep in your living room?

Sent from my SPH-D700 using EO Forums

EASYTRADER

Expert Expediter
Also you don't need to be represented in an audit. The way to handle an audit is to take your records to the irs office and drop them off, saying "call me when you're done",

After a a couple of weks they will call you and say come get your stuff, you owes us 500 bucks or whatever, then if you care you can inquire why you owe the money or you can just pay them.

Audits aren't a big deal unless you ARE cheating on your taxes.

Incidently, if you think you are cheating you probly are.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using EO Forums

luis27501

Expert Expediter
Well that's good that you are thinking that way and thank you for the info but here is the problem that I see, it may not work for those in certain situations and it is why I don't post things like this.

The info is good but lacks the judgement that people need to make informed decisions that keep you out of trouble, which happens with an experienced person who understands the complexities of the tax laws. I don't recommend a tax preparer for this reason, many can't represent you if you get audited and don't always understand the triggers of an audit while an EA and/or a good accountant can guide you through things for your situation.

What I tell people is this, get two tools in your tool box, a lawyer who you build a relationship with and an accountant who knows your situation and where you need to do to lessen your tax burden.

True im not disencouraging any one not to get an accountant or lawyer. But I see it like this if any one is doing actual expense like they should for any business they should have all receipts for every deduction they claimed on there taxes in case of an audit. My self I have all my receipts scan with Neatreceipt a program that saves your receipt on file just incase the original fades which most do with heat. Not hard to represent your self in case of an audit when you have all your receipts. Your receipts are your proof for your deductions unless you claiming things you dont have proof of then you in trouble. Plus an accountant will claim all your income and deductions thats why they got your back in case of an audit they are not going to put there name on someones taxes if there is a chance that tax return might get audit.

Quicken Home and Bussines and Neatreceipt two good programs I use to do my accounting and keep my records neat. I my self dont claim nothing I dont have proof of. I never gotten audit using those programs and been doing my own taxes for yrs now with the help of my mother in law since she did bookkeping similar job as an accountant.

Like I said before just here to give advice im not claiming to be an accountant but not hard to understand the basics of running a small business with a lil bit of research.

Fkatz

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Hi all,

It seems that you basically stated the general relation to each line that your quoting on the Schedule "C".

But basically you must actually break down by description each item,
for instance Insurance :
Liability/collision, Occupational Ins./and or Workmen Comp. Cargo Ins. or other business Insurance only
Reparis and Maintenance:
Repairs, must include labor, brakes, lights, turbo, generators, belts, pullies, etc.
Maintenance:
Grease/Oil, truck washes,
Parts purchased (No Labor)
Additional Oil only
Tires.
Accident Repairs are not considered under this catagory,
Those are considered under Capital Inprovements, and must be depreciated over 5 years straight line. or Admortization Part VI of Federal Form 4562, and would be code 1400
amount would be divided by 5 and entered in the amount line.

Supplies:
Additional fluids( Deisel Power, Lucas Products, load locks, tarps, etc.

Other Expenses:
Reefer Fuel
Showers
Laundry & Supplies
Drug Screens/ DOT Physicals
Trip Pack

Mileage would actually be figured on either Page 2 of Sch C, or on Page 4 of 4562, you do not have to put in the actual cost of items listed below the mileage. they are dispursed within the other lines on the SCH C.

Truthfully, use a Professional to Prepare you taxes. main reason is they can check to see if the item or items are truely deductible or not, and where they are suppose to be entered on the return What ever the charge is it really is worth paying, and it is totally deductible

This is ineffect as of January 1, 2012,
1.All Tax Preparers who electronically File your Returns must have a Personal Tax Identification Number, weather it be a CPA, Enrolled Agent, or a regular tax preparer.

2. All Non-Enrolled Agents, CPA's must pass a IRS Compliance Test. once past
They will be limited to how they can represent you before the IRS in an audit,
A CPA or Enrolled Agent my represent you totally for all items of the audit.
But all taxpayers who use all Types of Preparers must have a Power of Attorney on file with the IRS for them to speak with them on your account.

If you do your Taxes either Online, or Over the counter software, what ever you enter is a guarented calulation
of the tax return only, If you enter the item on the incorrect line, they will catch it. If not you are asking to be audited

If you are audited you really do not want to fight the IRS on your own, due to some auditors are not for you, even if they see the receipt unless it states exactly what you purchased it will be disallowed. They will not honor Charge card receipts that does not show what it was for, which is 95% of them.
it can either be printed/ hand written as long as it has a description of what was purchase.

Remember IF YOU MAKE A PROFIT YOU ARE SUBJECT TO SELF EMPLOYMENT TAX.

IF THERE ARE ANY QUESTIONS PLEASE DO NOT HESITATE TO ASK,

iF I AM NOT PREPARING YOUR RETURN I CANNOT EXPLAIN WHAT LINE TO PUT THE DEDUCTION ON.

Frank’s Tax and Business Service
120 York Rd
Kings Mountain, NC 28086-3151
(704) 739-4039 Fax: (704) 739-3934
e-mail: [email protected]
Web Site: File Your Return Online
Franklin Katz, ATP, PA, PB,

Providing Professional Accounting, Bookkeeping, Payroll and Income Tax Preparation Services

Circular 230 Disclaimer – Any tax advice in this communication (including any attachments) is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, by any taxpayer for the purpose of avoiding related

penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (2) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or tax related matters addressed herein.