Secondary Air Leak

DevilsArrow

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Good morning fellas. Hoping to tap into this overwhelming wealth of knowledge and learn a thing or two.

Okay, I have a 2019 Freightliner Cascadia with about 385k miles. Over the last few days, I've started having issues with my secondary air.

When the engine is running and I'm on the road, my secondary will go from 105 PSI to 120 PSI, back and forth every one to two minutes. I hear the distinctive "psssss" and then it drops to 105. It'll build back up and after it reaches 120, it does it again. Never goes below 105, never goes over 120. Same at idle.

When the truck is not running, but I've got the key in the ignition for the Opti-idle mode, it'll drain itself down to 40 PSI within a minute. It never goes down below 40 PSI.

However, when the truck does not have the key in the ignition and I flip the cutoff switch, like I would if I'd be storing the truck for a few days, it'll drain to 40 PSI in about 6 hours.

I've gone over everything I can think of with soapy water, I'm not hearing or seeing any leaks. No quiet hissing, no bubbling, nothing. I've drained the air tanks fully, no change.

Has anyone experienced this issue before, who may be able to point me in the right direction? I know it's not too big a deal now, but I'd like to get it solved before it becomes one and I'm dumbfounded.

Thanks Guys!

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
I recently worked on a truck with a leaking fitting on the fan clutch. You couldn't hear the large leak over the engine noise, but when you cut the engine off the fan clutch solenoid turns off, stopping the leak.
With the engine at a low idle the compressor couldn't keep up with the leak, so the pressure dropped. At higher rpm it pumped enough to overcome the leak.

Reactions: danthewolf00