School Project: Questions For Truck Drivers And Mechanics

jdoe

New Recruit
Hi, I am a mechanical engineering student at Lakehead University in Thunder Bay, ON, Canada, needing questions answered by experienced commercial vehicle operators and mechanics. My group and I are considering the design of a drum brake cooling system, which would improve truck safety by allowing a driver to recover some brake function if all had been lost due to overheated drums.

The compensation I offer for your time is the chance that the proposed system will prove feasible and improve highway safety for commercial vehicle operators and those they share the road with. Your input will significantly positively affect the quality of our project.

The more detailed the answer, the better. Useful information includes: vehicle weight and speeds, distances, road grades, elevation change, gear, engine brake use, etc.

For a Driver.

Explain how you safely drive down a long hill while fully loaded.

Describe situations that you know would lead to overheated brakes.

If you had a button in your cab which could reduce the temperature of your brakes, when do you think you would use it?

What legal document do you refer to when you have questions about legal vehicle weight, speed limits, etc. ?

What are the most common truck brands and models you see on the road today?

For a Mechanic.

Do all wheels share the braking load equally?

Are all the brakes the same size? If not, where are the different sizes found?

What is the most air consuming auxiliary system you’ve seen fed from a standard air system? Are all air systems equal or do some provide more flow rate than others?

What legal document (in your area) outlines vehicle inspection procedures and criteria?

Thank you for time

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
Driver here. While I have never driven a Class 8 combination vehicle (requiring class A here in the States, or A-Z for you) professionally other than school, I believe what you are asking is for the Department of Redundancy Department. I believe that overheating brakes are the result of poor inspection, poor maintenance, or poor driving. My belief is that approaching severe grades slowly, downshifting properly prior to descent, coupled with use of an engine and/or turbo brake, will require very little foot or trailer brake application. Further, disc brakes are available on most Class 8 truck brands these days. As I'm sure you're aware, discs have fins between sides to facilitate cooling, and I can only assume that slotted rotors, used in high-speed or heavy-use passenger cars and light trucks, are probably also a thing in heavy trucks that offer them.

Not trying to dissuade you, but I believe you're chasing something that really can't be accomplished with good training and execution.

Oh, and major truck brands are Freightliner (of which their parent company, Daimler, owns Western Star, and Sterling (no longer being built)), Peterbilt/Kenworth, International, and Volvo.

Hope that helps.

jdoe

New Recruit
Thank you for your reply usafk9. It contains information of great value to my group and I.