School lunches

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
How many kids are going to eat this lunch? It may or may not be nutritious and meet Michelle's expectations. What it probably won't meet is the average school kid's visual inspection.

http://spicycajun.ijreview.com/2015...um=organic&utm_content=PRM7&utm_campaign=PRM7

"Michelle" is not responsible for that sad creation, and whatever food service person is should be fired. It is not that hard to make lunches that are nutritious and that kids will eat, really. Or do you think they should just be given what they "will" eat?
The biggest part of the battle is persuading stupid adults to stop assuming [and teaching] that people, especially kids, don't like veggies. Have you ever seen a kid's menu in a restaurant that includes veggies? I haven't, and it really irked me to take my kids out for dinner and have to pay for the crap that is marketed for kids.
Stuck for another day in a motel, I walked to the only store around today, wanting to get some veg or fruit to go with my [Lean Cuisine] dinner: a 'convenience' store. Guess how many kinds of veggies I found? None. Nada. Zilch.
This is the everyday reality for a lot of people who have to walk, and it costs us a lot in medical care, sooner and later.
But it's better to blame Michelle for the way some moron handles the challenge of healthier lunches. SMH.

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Actually the salads at McD aren't too bad; same for Wendy's and they both have low-cal dressings. Also, don't forget there are all kinds of freeze-dried fruits and vegs that are easy to put in the school lunchbox or keep in the truck. I realize freeze dried veggies sound gross, but some are pretty good with the right seasoning. My 6-yr old granddaughter likes freeze dried bananas & pineapples mixed together.

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=n:16310101,k:freeze dried vegetables

Reactions: Greg

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
My kids blamed

The Republicans object because healthy foods cost more - why am I not surprised? Do they have a clue what childhood obesity costs, now and later?
Kids blame Michelle because the adults told them it's her fault. These are the same adults who can't manage to make healthy food that looks and tastes good, [while many others have no problem with it]. They refuse to accept blame for their own inability, insisting it's Michelle's fault for forcing them to make such crap. It's not.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
My kids blamed

The Republicans object because healthy foods cost more - why am I not surprised? Do they have a clue what childhood obesity costs, now and later?
Kids blame Michelle because the adults told them it's her fault. These are the same adults who can't manage to make healthy food that looks and tastes good, [while many others have no problem with it]. They refuse to accept blame for their own inability, insisting it's Michelle's fault for forcing them to make such crap. It's not.

That is a shocking post there Cheri. "They refuse to accept blame for their own inability." That would be the argument that is used for a whole host of issues that push personal responsibility on to others. Because of course, "many just don't wanna".

Reactions: paullud and Pilgrim

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
That is a shocking post there Cheri. "They refuse to accept blame for their own inability." That would be the argument that is used for a whole host of issues that push personal responsibility on to others. Because of course, "many just don't wanna".

Except that where the argument "they just don't want to accept responsibility" is used to explain behaviors one can't know the reasons for, [like unemployment], in this case, the food preparers are failing to do the specific job they're paid for knowing how to do. Maybe the unappetizing stuff they produce is a passive aggressive response to the new rules, rather than a lack of knowledge and/or creativity, who knows? What I do know it that it is possible to make nutritious food that's also acceptable to kids, or mine would have starved before kindergarten. ;)