Scary experiences

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Winter driving in Buffalo. The worst was a lake effect system over the city for 7 days. Tried to get fuel and the snow was higher than the van hood. They had to rescue hundreds of people by snowmobile that were too stubborn to abandon their cars on I90

Yep, winter driving, too much to list, daily close calls and no visibility

Close second was my Ford steering column catching on fire. Was really hard to get back to sleep after I put it out

Reactions: JerzyVan79

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Delivering to UNC Chappell Hill while wearing a UK Basketball t-shirt was scarier than I thought it would be.

I've delivered to the hood a few times in various cities that was certainly uncomfortable, Newark, NJ in particular, where everything not moving had either graffiti or bullet holes in it.

There was a shootout at the border in Laredo while I was delivering within sight of the shooters. That was kinda scary.

The scariest, though, have probably been the two very uncomfortably close encounters I've had with tornadoes.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Invisible ice on an overpass in Ft. Wayne. Was in the right lane going up and the left coming down. And that was in the straight truck not the van.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Wind in Wyoming... Had on a load of explosives and had waiting in Cheyanne till they opened I-80 and then in the middle of the night it was like being on another planet. The sides of the interstate was littered with blown over tractor trailers and the moon was full shining on the snow. It was very eerie. At thirty miles an hour the wind was still blowing us all over the place and it was very frightening. The power of the wind is incredible and the aerodynamics of the Cascadia and the skirts we have do not blow us around as bad as many. It is usually pretty amazing if we stop and get out and really feel the wind.

When in wind put the axle down and slow down to not let the wind get under the truck.

Tobster317

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Winter driving in Buffalo. The worst was a lake effect system over the city for 7 days. Tried to get fuel and the snow was higher than the van hood. They had to rescue hundreds of people by snowmobile that were too stubborn to abandon their cars on I90

Close second was my Ford steering column catching on fire. Was really hard to get back to sleep after I put it out
Was that 2 Thanksgiving ago. I was stuck up there for that freak snow storm the had. We got stuck on a main side road (state rt) people were bring us coffee and food. It was actually nice to see the people step in. They didn't know any of us.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Was that 2 Thanksgiving ago. I was stuck up there for that freak snow storm the had. We got stuck on a main side road (state rt) people were bring us coffee and food. It was actually nice to see the people step in. They didn't know any of us.
No, that was a smaller one. This one they called Snomaggeddon or Snocopalypse but regardless, feet of snow is feet of snow and they've had a bunch of those. 7 feet in 24 hours was special tho, and it kept snowing for a week, right over Buffalo and the southtowns

They found a person or 2 frozen in a snowdrift a month later, car and all

Should be able to find it online, they called in the National Guard and they had hummers blocking I90 standing beside with machine guns strapped on (they were serious)

Edit: you might be right, says November 2014...thought it was longer...the snow totals are way off tho, maybe in Buffalo but the outskirts got dumped on harder
snowstorm.jpg
snow-lancaster-nov18b.jpg NY Thruway.jpg 23506EC700000578-2838919-image-31_1416463458157.jpg buffalo-snowstorm.jpg
Buffalo-Lake-Effect-Snow-Storm-Pics-4.jpg buffalo-snow-canyon.jpg AP_Buffalo_Snow_01_mm_150729_4x3_992.jpg snowstorm.jpg snow-lancaster-nov18b.jpg NY Thruway.jpg 23506EC700000578-2838919-image-31_1416463458157.jpg buffalo-snowstorm.jpg

Last edited: