Saving Receipts for Warranty

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Today I had an interesting thing happen at Walmart. In June of this year my Keurig Coffee pot malfunctioned and I needed to replace it. The Walmart we were near did not have a travel Keurig so I purchased a Fabreware coffee pot that uses KCups and while it is much cheaper it takes three times as long to heat the water.

Today the lid broke on the coffee pot so I took it back to Walmart and I printed out a copy of the receipt. When I arrived at Walmart I was informed they do not accept copies of receipts. After some discussion she said if they had a coffee pot exactly like the one I was trying to return she would exchange it which they did.

Now I have the dilemma of how to store and find original receipts that I might need for warranty in the truck.

Anyone have any ideas or a solution?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Walmart can be a little weird on that, because they get scammed a lot on return. They generally will want to mark the original receipt somehow showing that an item on the receipt has been returned. Most places, certainly most big box stores, can look up and print out an original for you, if that's what they need.

You can return something to Walmart even without a receipt if it's within 90 days for most items (15 days for most electronics). If it's for return and is less than $25 they'll give you cash, if more than $25 they'l give you a Walmart Gift Card, or an even exchange for the same product. o if they give you any crap about a printed copy of the receipt, just tell them "OK, then, I don't have a receipt," and they'l take it back.

If you have trouble returning something at Walmart with a printed copy of the receipt, ask for the assistant manager. That will usually be all that it takes. If that doesn't work, you print out your bank statement showing the transaction details and date along with the card you used to make the purchase and they can look up the receipt for you (which they can also do with the printed copy of the receipt, but the bank statement shows YOU bought it and aren't trying to scam with with a photocopy).

Generally, a printed copy of the receipt, the credit card you used, and an assistant manager will get it done.

I've taken a battery back to Autozone for warranty replacement, and they didn't need my receipt. They just looked it up in their system. That's how it is at most places these days, certainly those who have your personal information on file. Target, Lowes, they can look up the transaction using your credit card.

A few years ago I had to return something to a building supply store and I only had a printed copy of the receipt, which they refused to accept. I called the corporate office hoping they could look it up using credit card information, transaction numbers, etc., and we went round and round. This went back and forth for about 10 days with them insisting that they needed the original. Finally, I found the original receipt, that I was positive I had thrown away, because I usually throw them away after a week or two.

So I call them back and tell them that I've found the original, and asked them how I should proceed. They tell me, "Great! Now can you fax it to this number and we'll authorize the return."

Seriously.

Last edited:

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Thanks for that Turtle. The idea of saving receipts for small items in the truck was going to drive me crazy. I know with most places all they want is the receipt number then they look the receipt up. It can speed the process up a lot. It is hard enough to return stuff on the road with out this additional hassle.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Now I have the dilemma of how to store and find original receipts that I might need for warranty in the truck.

Anyone have any ideas or a solution?

Find a container of some sort, like a sturdy envelope or small box. Place your receipts in it. Place the envelope or box in a place where it can be easily found when a receipt is needed. When a receipt is needed, go into the envelope or box and remove the desired receipt.