Satellite Radio

Driverone

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Are the new satellite receivers on the market yet?
If so, where and how much?
I know the service is to begin soon, but I haven't seen anything about the receivers.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Last Info I heard was at the end of the year,the receiver was
going to cost about $200. and a monthly fee of about $10...I will be signing up asap.anything to get those long all night runs that we all do more enjoyable (LOL) will be OK..

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Lawerence What I believe he was talking about is that there are 2 companies that are planning to have satellite radio available similar to satellite tv,there will be about 40-50 formats IE ,Oldies.CNN ,ESPN RADIO. ART BELL etc,that you can tune in and that format will stay with you no matter where you go in the country. It won!t fade away when you leave a area,but will stay with you until you decide to change..Great idea for all of us that drive long hauls at night, no more constant tuning. Hope to see you in Dallas.. Take care Rich M

Driverone

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Rich is correct. I am trying to find and outlet for the receivers. Local Radio Shack said they will have when available, but I understand that some truck manufacturers already have access to them. I just wondered who is manufacturing the radio receivers for the two satellite providers. Thanks for the info.

Trucker Matt

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I am interested in a satellite radio also... actually I'm hoping that they will combine one with an MP3 player. That way one could load all his CD's on the laptop and pick and choose songs to load on a card for the in-dash deck.

DrkShdw

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
something else you can do to on them long over night runs is listen to books on tape, you can find the long unabriged ones at your local library, they are free and you can get up to 15 of them for 30 days, and you can just call to renew them, i like the free part best ;-)

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
My wife who is a excellent driver is a avid listner to audio tapes,both from our library and Audio Adventures from whom you can rent tapes at the various truck stops. One big disadvantage is that she will listen on a small portable tape player with headphones so as not to disturb me when I am trying to sleep.. Over the years she has missed critical exits and just droned on about 5-6 times until I would wake up and say "Where the hell are we" LOL..not funny at the time.One time coming into Toronto during rush hour we went at least 50 miles past the Ford plant in Missassauga.In her defense I will admit she has become much better about it,especailly since I threatened to fire her.. LOL on that one for sure..