Samsung phone

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
I have been using a HTC EVO 4G on the Sprint network for the last 3 years. It's been ok except very rarely is there ever 4G coverage.
Also on my second EVO. Charging port on the first one quit working. This one showing some of the symptoms.

I have been looking at the Samsung line of phones. Maybe the 3. The 4 looks pretty neat, but not sure if I would use all the features. Price is right on the 3 and coming down.

Has anyone used this phone on the Verizon network? If so, how often would you say you are in the 4G LTE mode? If you are in a 3g area, does it continually search for 4G and deplete the battery? How is the call quality?

Thanks

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I got a Galaxy 3, but with T-Mobile. It will be more expensive with Verizon, but the 4G coverage is the best so far.

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
Ron I have an S3. Battery life is ok, not great but there's so many things to play with I guess that hurts it. Sorry can't help with anything Verizon related.

Hi Scott, do you think the s4 will do better and worth the money. The reviews I've have been mixed. When compared to the HTC ONE, its almost a toss up. Not sure if I want to trust another HTC phone because of this charging problem. My wife has the same phone and has had the same problem. She was able to get hers fixed. Mine happened on the road. Ended buying another even though I had the maintenance contract with Sprint. That's another story.

Anyhow, what don't you like about the s3?

Thanks

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ron I love what I've seen on the htc one but I don't believe Verizon is offering it. I like the S3 my main gripe is the cheap feel of it. I also like htc sense software over Samsung touch wiz ( my us phone is htc).
There's nothing in the S4 that would make me upgrade from my S3, but I'm thinking of getting an htc one. I like the aluminum case and features it has.
Bottom line would be the S3 is a good phone, especially with jellybean running on it.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I have the Note 2 with Verizon. It has excellent battery life and a screen large enough to work well for things like email and web browsing. Even with games and web browsing and conversations it will last from unplugging in the morning until plugging in again in the evening provided good power management is observed like turning off wifi when you leave the house.

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
I have the Note 2 with Verizon. It has excellent battery life and a screen large enough to work well for things like email and web browsing. Even with games and web browsing and conversations it will last from unplugging in the morning until plugging in again in the evening provided good power management is observed like turning off wifi when you leave the house.

LDB, how is the screen brightness for sunlight viewing? Sounds like a good battery.

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
And he more than anyone should realize that judging a phones (or batterys) performance after 1 day is ridiculous. There are plenty of proper reviews with the user having the phone at least a week.

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
[h=3]Leo Laporte[/h]Apr 19, 2013 (edited) - Mobile
- Public

I had such high hopes for the HTC One, and, indeed, there is much to love about this phone but here I am with the battery dead and it's not even 3p. Worse I've been charging it today whenever possible. Fail. Utter fail. Sigh.

That ain't good. I have the extended battery in my EVO. If doing a lot on it, lasts maybe 5 or 6 hours. Just sittn waitn on a call, it will last easily all day. When I first got my EVO I loved it. I still like it, but the charging issues on 3 separate EVO phones is kinda making me gun shy of another HTC product.

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
Ron I love what I've seen on the htc one but I don't believe Verizon is offering it. I like the S3 my main gripe is the cheap feel of it. I also like htc sense software over Samsung touch wiz ( my us phone is htc).
There's nothing in the S4 that would make me upgrade from my S3, but I'm thinking of getting an htc one. I like the aluminum case and features it has.
Bottom line would be the S3 is a good phone, especially with jellybean running on it.

Thanks Scott. The printing option that is supposed to be on the 4 is suppose to in an update for the 3. That could be the tie breaker.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
At maximum brightness it is pretty bright in most uses. For some reason when in the web browser it reduces the brightness a noticeable amount. It's not great in direct sunlight especially in the browser. If you use it in the shade, at least shaded by your body, it's adequate though.

wvcourier

Expert Expediter
I had a galaxy S3 for 13 days, I traded it in for the Note 2 after trial period. The note 2 is alot better phone.(well worth the extra $) The battery last almost twice as long, and the quad 4 processor and screen size makes this phone like a mini pc or tablet. I never use the pen, but it seems to work ok.

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
I screwed up. Got confused on the phones.

It was the note 2 I am thinking about.

Thanks for straightening me out.

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
I had a galaxy S3 for 13 days, I traded it in for the Note 2 after trial period. The note 2 is alot better phone.(well worth the extra $) The battery last almost twice as long, and the quad 4 processor and screen size makes this phone like a mini pc or tablet. I never use the pen, but it seems to work ok.

WV, what don't you like about the phone if anything?

Thanks

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
Better than iPhone's. You can talk a lot without worrying about it, but if you browse, it will die much sooner. Right now, after 30 minutes of continuous usage, it went down to 87%.

Not a iPhone fan. Love my iPad2, but that's as far as I go on Apple products.

87% in 30 minutes isn't to good. About how long does it take to charge?

My EVO, when charging using DC, takes about 4 hours from about 50% discharge. Much faster on AC charge. Maybe 45 minutes.

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
I got a Galaxy 3, but with T-Mobile. It will be more expensive with Verizon, but the 4G coverage is the best so far.

Opel, how is T Mobile phone coverage? What are your primary freight lanes? I am all over the place. With Sprint, I 10, 20 & 40 coverage is ok. I 80 & 90 west of Omaha it gets real ify. Sometimes it will go into roaming, or no service. I can see a tower and have no service.

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Opel, how is T Mobile phone coverage? What are your primary freight lanes? I am all over the place. With Sprint, I 10, 20 & 40 coverage is ok. I 80 & 90 west of Omaha it gets real ify. Sometimes it will go into roaming, or no service. I can see a tower and have no service.

Never missed a call with T-Mobile. I usually travel from Michigan to deep south, also Michigan to Kansas, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, California and Nevada. No east coast, but I'm sure there's no problem at all.