RV Parks/Campgrounds etc.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Has anyone ever tried to park at a RV park or campground with a straight truck? Do any allow them? Is there some sort of listing of those places that allow trucks? We would love to layover in the country sometimes, maybe fish or hike. Maybe get a break from the panhandlers etc. This is one of the things that we are still having problems with in this business. What to do about long weekends? Where to park besides truckstops or motels? Sure could use a hand with this one. layoutshooter

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Sometimes State parks will work with you. If you call ahead don't mention the word "truck" as they think you are a T/T. Just say I have a 40 foot long vehicle,what are the rates.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Yes, we have parked at a state park campground. That was in a D-unit. It was in New Mexico overlooking a river and mountain scene. Very nice. The officials there had no problem at all with the truck, but the other campers gave us wierd looks as they walked or drove by. That made us feel out of place.

If we are near the coast in California, we regularly go to the state beaches to park. There too, the officials have no trouble with the truck. Parking is $10 per day. The beaches have public bathrooms and outdoor showers. They close each night and overnight parking is prohibited. Commerical vehicles are not allowed in the RV parks where RV's can park on the beach overnight. If we must spend the night in CA and no truck stop is nearby, 24 hour grocery stores have worked well, as long as you ask the manager for permission.

Another option is to minimize your time at truck stops by going to a local library, park, museum, mall, or other attraction and spending the day there. Then return to the truck stop at night to shower and sleep. Carry lawn chairs. They're great in parks or at the beach.

In urban areas, park the truck at a truckstop and take a cab to the commuter train station. Take the train into town. Many train stations have room to park a truck, sometimes for free, sometimes you pay for multiple parking spaces.

The bobtail lot at the Petro in Bordentown, NJ is a popular expediter hangout. Few people know a train station is just a short cab ride away. You can take the train into Philadelphia or Manhatten. It can be a great day taking the train to Grand Central Station (now named Grand Central Terminal) and walk to Times Square.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Great stuff as always. We had this weekend off in North Little Rock. It turned out not to be much fun. First was the motel that did little to live up to it's advertisements. Then the Panhandlers, long walks to resturaunts in areas not to good to be walking in. We really have to get better at this. I should have tried a RV park that I saw long before we got here. There was a public fising lake nearby it. The tornados kinda scared us off. *SIGH* what we need is a working crystal ball. That I believe is the ticket to this business. Layoutshooter.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
If you have the Motor Carriers Atlas, any city large enough to have a blowup will show parks, malls, & other places that might be worth a looksee. MS Streets & Trips has a nice feature called "Find Nearby Places" & the library is a great place to be on a rainy day - you may not get on a computer, (adolescent boys tend to monopolize them, for the games), but the magazines are good. :)

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
You will get it in time, but looking in that direction is gona be non productive and put you away from freight. Some members love Walmarts, I prefere a truck stop. But when ever I find an empty field or parking lot with no truck traffic I am there because I can use my roof top vent without smelling diesel fumes in the sleeper. Plus its nice and quite if your in a little country town on the edge of a big city. I personally always stay near a large city, I want the freight.. Its not a vaction out there for me its work and I want as much as I can get.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
We have always stayed at truck stops near the layover express center while waiting on a load offer. This time we got pre-dispatched late afternoon on Fri for a Mon pick-up. An entire weekend to outselfs. We would not want to hurt our chances of work by being too far away from the centers while empty. It is when we get these rare weekends that we don't quite know what to do. We don't like drive the truck into cities for nice dinners. We have tried taxies, they worked out ok but are VERY costly. We are really looking for the country ideas. We are both country people, my wife is a hiker and I hunt and fish. I am sure that we will figure it out someday. I have tackle with me. I just have not figured out the parking/sleeping/shower bit. I am sure the answer is out there. Layoutshooter.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Since you can get online, use the internet to check sites like Yahoo city guide. Many cities and counties have visitors guides online.

Try entering in search engines things like "bike rental" + "Hennepin County" or Hiking + "Portland Oregon" or "Horseback riding" + "Quad Cities". Note the punctuation in these phrases. Take some time to learn how to better use search engines to find what you seek.

Most hotels and all state welcome centers have racks of tourist info. The web sites found in those brochures may be of use too. Welcome centers often have whole catalogues showing attractions region by region for the whole state. Even if you don't plan to lay over in a state, start picking up those books to familiarize yourself with them. While you are at it, pick up a free state road map too. You never know when it might come in handy.

Visit with other expediters you see. Exchange phone numbers with the ones you'd like to see again. Call them when you are in an area and ask what they'd do if there. For example, if you were in Minneapolis and called us about walking, we'd tell you to go to the Mall of America and park there. Go inside the mall and catch the light rail train toward downtown Minneapolis. Get off near one of the city parks, all of which are connected to each other by paved walking trails that wind around in the City of Lakes. You can walk all day and not cover it all. For more fun, rent roller blades and use the bike lanes.

I have a database of all Wal-Mart locations, saying if they are SuperCenters (open 24 hours) and giving their phone numbers. I developed it off Wal-Mart info I found online. Anytime we are going to layover for a while, we go to that database. Entering the first three numbers of the zip code for our delivery produces a list of the Wal-Marts that have the same three numbers (or two numbers if we want to broaden the search). That's often our starting point. Once we've found one we know we can stay at, we explore around to see what else might be in the area. Use the online yellow pages to do the same. They show zip codes for the stores.

Parking on the street near 24 hour resturants works. Waffle House, Perkins, IHOP and others fill the bill. Use the internet or yellow pages to search for stores that locate in good areas to find the good areas for yourself. LensCrafters, Dillards, Boston Market, Red Lobster, etc, are often in good areas (not foolproof way to stay clear of bad areas but works most of the time). Airports and golf courses often indicate good areas too, especially those offering charter flights on Lear Jets. Plastic surgeons and MRI clinics are usually in good areas. Let your fingers do the walking. Then find the IHOP or whatever in the same area.

Modern office parks are excellent places to take a brisk walk. Trucks go in and out of them all the time so parking is often easy. Again, locate the high-end neighborhoods and seek office parks there. Investment offices like Charles Schwab are often located in such parks.

Steak and Shake resturants are open 24 hours and sometimes have large parking lots. We've gotten management permission to spend the night there too.

We believe it helps to have the FedEx logo on our truck when parking or seeking permission to park. Managers know the FedEx brand and trust it. We're also mindful of our appearance when asking permission. Our FedEx uniforms (including the black dress slacks and shined shoes we wear) are an asset in that regard. If we are not in uniform, we dress casual, but not in T-shirts and tennis shoes. Shirts with collars are a plus. If in a grocery store, we ask to see the manager after we have our bag of purchased items in hand.

You kind-of got me going on this one. There is probably more that will come to mind after I sleep on it, but this should get you started. Hope it helps.

And by all means, have some fun out there!

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
By all means keep going Phil, I can use any and all help. My wife Jan and I are full time expediters as well. We are with FedEx and run a DR unit. We really enjoy the business but we would enjoy it even more if we can get some quality "country" time.

We left the Petro in W. Memphis after she was bothered by a man near the entrance. There were many panhandlers at both the Petro and the Pilot across the road. Way TOO many strange people in that area so we left.

I am sure we will learn more with time. I am kind of surprised that there is nothing on line about camp grounds/rv sites that allow trucks. I spent an hour or so looking but could not find anything.

We will keep digging and will someday find what we are looking for. All help is welcome. THanks, Layoutshooter.

FireGears

Expert Expediter
Hello All,

I was on vacation last August and found it interesting when
a FedEX d-unit spent a couple of days in a campground
within the Rocky Mountain National Park.

I would have loved to have talked with the team
but since I was on vacation
I assumed they were also and respected their "down-time".

Be Safe,
FireGears

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Thanks for the info, I never even thought about National Parks. Into the keep file with that one. Layoutshooter

bcurt

Expert Expediter
I have stayed in State and national parks.. You will need to call ahead to reserve a spot this time of year. KOA,s is even better, hot showers, pools, resturants, game rooms, fishing and much more.. All sites mentioned above have web sites... My trucks or vans are just campers with big trunks..LOL

ATeam

Retired Expediter
A web site that may be of interest regarding trucks at state and national parks and other traditionally RV places is http://www.rv.net/community/. This is a huge forum of RV enthusiasts. Signing on there and asking questions about truck parking may yield some good info. Let us know if you learn something good.

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Recently my Granddaughter had her wedding reception on top of Lookout Mountain in Ga.

I made reservations for RV space at the Cloudland State Park for a space for a motor home less than 40'. They said nothing when I arrived in my 33' C truck.

My stay was wonderful. Electric hookup. (I have shorepower)Showers nearby. Lots of interest in my rig and this little known division of Fedex.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I love posting in here, I learn SOOOOOOOOOOOO much. I can use all that I have read. Thanks a million as always. Layoutshooter

terryandcandace

Expert Expediter
1-The Next Exit - a book purchased at truck stops, lists some good info.
2-www.pasportamerica.com is an RVer's discount camping membership group we belong to. Have some REALLY good rates on RV parks in areas outside of cities, many owned by Mom & Pop vs. big corporations = more D unit friendly.
3- www.escapees.com is the #1 RV membership group - with TONS of RV info.
4- If staying in Memphis, TN area, check out http://www.memphisgracelandrvpark.com/facilities/ or call (901) 396-7125. Managers are ex-truckers and have a nice, safe place for a weekend or a week. EZ access to lots of stuff !

Enjoy
:7

Terry, Candace & Shiloh-The Beagle

Streakn1

Veteran Expediter
If you ever land in Southern California for the weekend and like the beach, you might enjoy staying at San Clemente State Park. For more information regarding this location go to Layover Lounge on this Forum and read "Nuclear Vacation". We had a great time and plan to visit again in the future!:)