Russia Attacks US Power Grid Via Vermont Utility

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
“Russian hackers penetrated U.S. electricity grid through a utility in Vermont, U.S. officials say.”

That's what they said, anyway. Turns out it was made up. The headline, the story, all of it. Made up.

The reality is a laptop belonging to the Vermont utility company, a laptop that wasn't connected in any way to the power grid, was discovered to have a piece of routine malware on it, and the malware cannot be traced to Russia or any foreign actor. In the story the Washington Post repeatedly cites the ever-popular and incessantly mouthy "government official" as their source. In this case, "government officials" turns out to be an unverified Tweet.

Forbes give them a pretty nasty smackdown with 'Fake News' And How The Washington Post Rewrote Its Story On Russian Hacking Of The Power Grid

But the video below, which also covers the Forbes article, really hammers it home, in hilarious fashion.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Washington Post wants my money to read these hard hitting pieces. I get alerts from Google, copy the headline and paste it to read it somewhere else for free

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Washington Post wants my money to read these hard hitting pieces. I get alerts from Google, copy the headline and paste it to read it somewhere else for free
Deleting your browser cache, and then deleting the Wapo (and NYT and others) cookies does the same thing.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
And I went to college for programming. Duh.
Obviously you don't necessarily want to throw the baby out with the bathwater, so selectively deleting the cookies for sites that give you, say, 10 articles for free, will just start the counter all over again without having to delete all cookies. The Cincinnati Enquirer is a site like that, too.